Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery last Tuesday, but the remnants of Ida prevented me from riding until Friday. I went from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, then down I-81 to I-77 down to Huntersville. Nearly 600 miles in one day. It was a good ride. Could have been better without the cold rain. Once I reached Roanoke the weather cleared which prompted me to keep riding. It was a great time to get acquaited with la Pucelle (my red ST4). First impressions, she likes to turn above 3000 RPM, has plenty of power whenever I crank on the throttle, even if I'm already on the high side of interstate highway speeds, is rock solid on the road @ 90+ (the weather wasn't conducive to higher speeds), has decent wind protection, has the sexiest voice I've ever heard on a bike and looks gorgeous anywhere. Took me a while to get used to the controls as muscle memory is still programmed for the Beemer. The turning geometry is different too, but I know I'm going to like it. There are a couple of things though that I just don't like. The mirrors suck. I can't seem to set them up to my liking. Also, I don't care for the suicide sidestand. I tipped her right over, albeit gently, because I was expecting the sidestand to still be down. La Pucelle is mostly stock with a Zero Gravity windscreen, bar risers, and a few carbon fiber covers and guards. Eventually, I'll need to upgrade the lighting too.

Too bad I couldn't bring it with me to Miami where I'm working this week. Thanks again to all who offered advice and assistance prior to my purchase.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club. You might want to look into getting some small convex mirrors to put on the edge of the st4's if you are not happy with them. I have not done this but I've heard others have and it improves your visibility.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
First impressions, she likes to turn above 3000 RPM
Above 4 is better, I think 3,000 is lugging it.
The mirrors suck. I can't seem to set them up to my liking.
They are narrow but I got used to that on my airhead RS. I am usually leaned a bit forward so I do find a happy spot. It could be that the risers have you sitting too upright.

Eventually, I'll need to upgrade the lighting too.[/QUOTE]The Ducati Designs upgrade is the common mod, I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you are gonna love it....i have had mine for about 9 months, and i find another reason to smile every time i take her out for a ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome! I work just outside of Huntersville in Davidson so you may see me shooting along I-77. Just word of caution...I have been less than pleased with the local Ducati place...not sure of any other options in the area though unless you want to take it do Atlanta.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club. You might want to look into getting some small convex mirrors to put on the edge of the st4's if you are not happy with them. I have not done this but I've heard others have and it improves your visibility.
I have done this with my last two ST4s-es. It definitely improves visibility to the rear.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I have done this with my last two ST4s-es. It definitely improves visibility to the rear.
isn't there already a convex section in the ducati mirrors, You know, the part outside the dotted lines as you look in the mirror? It's about the last 2 inches or so of the outside edge of the mirror.

Oh yea, congrats on the new Duck. If you head this away sometime give a holler.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
isn't there already a convex section in the ducati mirrors, You know, the part outside the dotted lines as you look in the mirror? It's about the last 2 inches or so of the outside edge of the mirror.
Yep, mine does. But the effectiveness may be somewhat limited by the width of the rider.
They were designed for the 160lb Italian rider.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found the usefulness of the mirrors went down when I put my Heli bars on. It seems that when the bars are raised to their highest position more of my arms block them. When the bars are at their lowest the elbows are clear of the mirrors, just a thought.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I found the usefulness of the mirrors went down when I put my Heli bars on. It seems that when the bars are raised to their highest position more of my arms block them. When the bars are at their lowest the elbows are clear of the mirrors, just a thought.
I had Heli bars and the tiny stick-on convex mirrors on my 02-ST4s. I found the convex portion of the side view mirrors to be worthless plus the tiny stick-on convex mirrors from the auto parts store were adjustable.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I had Heli bars and the tiny stick-on convex mirrors on my 02-ST4s. I found the convex portion of the side view mirrors to be worthless plus the tiny stick-on convex mirrors from the auto parts store were adjustable.

This is really a pointless discussion, the first Italian rule of driving or riding is
take the rear view mirrors off and throw them away. Who needs to know whats
behind, you should be going fast enough that they can't catch you anyway. :D:D

As a side note, even my fiat spider mirror is a snap on deal, real easy to snap off the windshield and put in the glove box. ;)

On a serious note, I do like to use the mirrors and find that I really only have a problem with the left hand mirror for some reason. I think the spring may be a bit weak in it and it sags a bit. You may also consider mirror spacers that would set them out another half inch or so.

AND, finally, I read a bit of a motorcycling accident stats and it seems that motorcyclist actually do over use the review mirrors. The percentage of accidents coming form the rear is very small, 3 percent of something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that little convex section is about all I get, if I tuck in my elbows. I'll look into additional/alternate mirrors. I hated having to ride the interstate but was under sever time constraints. I expect to go back up into the Blue Ridge this coming spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts