Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it's a project to me, nothing in comparison to the hard core on here but never the less i'm pretty proud of it

thanks mostly to motowheels.com and desmo headquarters in byron bay

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
my bad, try this oh and thanks
Lol, the quality is actually better on the first one if you just crop it. :p

Beautiful bike!! Very tastefully executed.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Sometimes, i forget just how beautiful the 916 was in its original color scheme. the headlights, the 916 script, the gold wheels... really nice. Shows that you don't have to do titanium frames and unobtanium wheels to make a really beautiful bike. Congratulations, very nice execution

(Now, go buy a decent camera)

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
We all know that 916s revolutionized twin cylinder motorcycles, but the real kicker is that they look as gorgeous now as they did when they were introduced in 1994, and THAT is not something one can say about motorcycles in general.

When the history of 20th century motorcycling is written, I feel sure that the 916 will make the top 10 classic bikes and (in my estimation) be in the top three.

If it weren't for the iffy electronics and heat control problems on the early models, I'd buy a 1995 right now.

Ron

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
We all know that 916s revolutionized twin cylinder motorcycles, but the real kicker is that they look as gorgeous now as they did when they were introduced in 1994, and THAT is not something one can say about motorcycles in general.

When the history of 20th century motorcycling is written, I feel sure that the 916 will make the top 10 classic bikes and (in my estimation) be in the top three.

If it weren't for the iffy electronics and heat control problems on the early models, I'd buy a 1995 right now.

Ron

That is exactly why I bought my 02 and not a newer one. I still think it's the sexiest motorcycle and a couple of nights ago I was next to some 1098's and got more stares then they did. I'm sure it's even more for a Red 916 model. A red 916 with a white number plate is still the best color combo.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, i've loved the 916 since they came out too, it took me too long to get one but it was so worth the wait. they do need a little work but if you're on a budget i'd say ferodo xrac pads, springs front and back, 27mm triples and steeper steering and you're pretty much there.

i'm on the lookout for another frame now to bolt all my old parts too, should make a nice piece for the loungeroom.

touch wood i've had no electrical problems with mine but i bought a new battery and a smart charger straight away knowing that ducati's like to have their electrics taken good care of. as well i took it in for a major service and they replaced the alternator wires.

yes my next dilema, i've just bought a c/f race tail and can't decide wether to go for the white plates again or just paint it all red. i might just bolt it on and ride with it a natural for a while.

sorry about the photos, i've had a look and i've got a couple from the same ride which are closer but they're blurry :) i"ll try for a proper photo session next weekend

·
Registered
381 Posts
thanks guys, i've loved the 916 since they came out too, it took me too long to get one but it was so worth the wait. they do need a little work but if you're on a budget i'd say ferodo xrac pads, springs front and back, 27mm triples and steeper steering and you're pretty much there.

i'm on the lookout for another frame now to bolt all my old parts too, should make a nice piece for the loungeroom.

touch wood i've had no electrical problems with mine but i bought a new battery and a smart charger straight away knowing that ducati's like to have their electrics taken good care of. as well i took it in for a major service and they replaced the alternator wires.

yes my next dilema, i've just bought a c/f race tail and can't decide wether to go for the white plates again or just paint it all red. i might just bolt it on and ride with it a natural for a while.

sorry about the photos, i've had a look and i've got a couple from the same ride which are closer but they're blurry :) i"ll try for a proper photo session next weekend
Beautiful bike.....I have a '95--As far as electrical problems go, I've replaced the wiring between the regulator all the way to the stator(took the cover off and went directly to the stator) w/ high quality 10ga wire, threw the motowheels battery cables on the bike, and, even with a 5 yr old battery haven't had an electrical problem since. IMO--go all red with the tail. Exposed carbon fiber is too played out, and one can never get enough of that beautiful Ducati red--especially on a classic like your bike........

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
found a couple of recent photos, you can see the lovely black triples as she gets closer to coming out of my loungeroom

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,817 Posts
Sometimes, i forget just how beautiful the 916 was in its original color scheme. the headlights, the 916 script, the gold wheels... really nice. Shows that you don't have to do titanium frames and unobtanium wheels to make a really beautiful bike.
Guess I should junk the magnesium swingarm I just bought...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess I should junk the magnesium swingarm I just bought...

omg no, bolt that sweet peice up and post photos of every stage and let us know any issues you have.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,817 Posts
I won't hijack your thread. I'll start a new one for the SPS when it's ready. It will be good--not just hardware, but I have all the original paperwork and every service receipt since new.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts