Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did this to detail my mods for an article in a friend's bike magazine, so thought it would be worth posting to give our US hibernating friends food for thought on how to fill in those painful non-riding months.

Richard

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very nicely done Duc!
Terblanche did a mighty fine job of design in my humble opinion. No matter where i go this model, when i hear it and see it go by always grabs my attention. The high mounts look great and that "Desmo Inside" decal puts a smile on the dial!!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good Richard! Can't wait to see what's next...;)
CF fairings that are sitting in the shed. The dilemma is to paint or not. Current thought is yes, but have the Ducati decals and the Desmo inside show through to the carbon. Maybe also the half ellipse line at the bottom front as well - time to brush up on Aperture/GIMP to see how it will look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your custom Remus pipes look awsome!! How were they made? think there even higher up than the original high mounts right?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your custom Remus pipes look awsome!! How were they made? think there even higher up than the original high mounts right?
I hated where the cans sat as standard, so designed and made the brackets myself so they would sit where you now see them.
They are much higher than stock and maximum height was based upon retaining pillion pegs, which i mention below.

Then had the pipes made to suit, but was not happy with the bends, so went to exhaust guru, Dennis Foran in Gosford, NSW, Australia.

My brief to him was bigger pipes and external welds like on Nori Haga's 1198 and this is how they are now.

I have posted this before, but the pillion pegs are from a 2000/2001 GSXR 1000 that I modified with an angle grinder to get rid of unnecessary bits and to shape the top so the angle was correct to get around the cans.

Whoever you buy the end SS bit and get the pipes bent and welded to suit the new position. This way you can go back to stock, but refitting and riveting the original end and pipes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
noice and well done!
Have you got info on the indicators fill inn gizzimidoos, please?
and what indicators did you use to replace the OEM "coathanger indicators"?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
noice and well done!
Have you got info on the indicators fill inn gizzimidoos, please?
and what indicators did you use to replace the OEM "coathanger indicators"?
The fill in were cheap (AUD$ 20 or so) carbon look, tear drop shaped indicators that used some crap little light. The carbon was too much (if there is such a thing!) where were they were, so i popped out the clear lens, sprayed that black and sprayed the carbon bit in yellow. Next mod (it never ends!) is to do the same to another set i have, but mask a small circle on the clear lens and put in a yellow or white LED that can only be seen from the front. This could be done as an indicator as well.

Also, the cheapos had double sided tape, so i drilled a hole in the back and put in a bolt so i could fix it properly into existing holes.

The mirrors are from Haldane Motorcycles in New Zealand, about AUD$ 65. They only had 2 or 3 LEDS from memory, so i hacked another LED indicator set I had so each now has 9 LEDs and can actually be seen.

I also have 20W tiny halogen indicators at the rear, so these with basically no Watts LEDS, made the load on the flasher to be 20W, which is the same as the stock of 10 front and 10 rear = 20 all up.

All this is easy to do, the tricky part is deciding what you want to do!

Richard

Attachments

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
CF fairings that are sitting in the shed. The dilemma is to paint or not. Current thought is yes, but have the Ducati decals and the Desmo inside show through to the carbon. Maybe also the half ellipse line at the bottom front as well - time to brush up on Aperture/GIMP to see how it will look.
Well, I think they need to be protected from UV light, so painting is a good choice, particularly down there in OZ where the UV is strong.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think they need to be protected from UV light, so painting is a good choice, particularly down there in OZ where the UV is strong.
Thanks - i did not think about UV, just focussed on bling etc. the UV is why I had my seat re-upholstered.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Just did this to detail my mods for an article in a friend's bike magazine, so thought it would be worth posting to give our US hibernating friends food for thought on how to fill in those painful non-riding months.

Richard
OK, so when is the Öhlins suspension going on?

Lightweight flywheel and clutch?

Wavy and light weight brake rotors?

So much to do!!! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts

Definitely leave some cf exposed, you didn't pay the big $ to cover it all up:) Get playing with photoshop and see what you come up with;)
Nice thread, keep us posted:cool:

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so when is the Öhlins suspension going on?

Lightweight flywheel and clutch?

Wavy and light weight brake rotors?

So much to do!!! :D
Next mechanical project is dialling in the cams.

Flywheel - does that allow it to spin up faster? What are the benefits of wavy rotors, apart from weight?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tail

These are a couple of pics of how I did my own tail piece.

That tube is legal for registration papers here in Oz. i also used it to mount the indicators (turn signals) I cut out a bit of the ABS to fit the tube up high so it did not interfere with the view of the tail.

The V2 plate is my real rego, but is a bit worse for wear after a bought tail eliminator broke and bounced down the road.

Richard

Attachments

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the left picture is making me cry, the open pipes
with the small V2 plate are great.

"loud motorcycles" are becoming a priority for the
cops in europe, with laws having changed just re-
cently resulting in higher fees again.

130 Euros and 3 Points for the rider and 180 Euros
and 3 Points for the owner is the new message, if you
got caught with illegal pipes, you won't do that too
often 'til you start thinking.

:think:

there is no help, i need to get something that has been
build prior to 1980, a Moto Guzzi Le Mans likely.

Richard, you have my best wishes.

cheers
Jan :)

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
the left picture is making me cry, the open pipes
with the small V2 plate are great.

"loud motorcycles" are becoming a priority for the
cops in europe, with laws having changed just re-
cently resulting in higher fees again.

130 Euros and 3 Points for the rider and 180 Euros
and 3 Points for the owner is the new message, if you
got caught with illegal pipes, you won't do that too
often 'til you start thinking.:)
What's illegal pipes considered? Here DB killers are OK.

Also, my SilMoto pipes came with a little certificate saying that they are EU legal (I presume WITH the DB killers installed)

Tom

P.S. We don't have points (yet)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts