Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with my bike , noticed my battery was getting flat last week so I started her up and rode around for 20mins to charge her up again, left it for a couple of days and went to go for a ride , noticed the battery was still pretty flat (lights and brake light were dim before I started it) so i started her up again , no problem warmed it up a bit rode down the road about 50m and it just died, battery was dead flat no sign of life whatsoever. So I went and bought a new battery as this one was at least a few years old and although I've been riding it a lot the last few months it was sitting around a lot before that. Anyhow bought the new battery and lights and all come on good but still wont start. checked over my wiring and fuses and all seems ok but i'm no auto electrician. pulled out one of the plugs and rested it against the head and kicked it over , can't see a spark.
Any ideas , can it only be one of a couple of things or one of many ? It has a Sachse ignition (if that makes a difference)

·
Registered
370 Posts
No spark, but the rest of the electrical system is ok? Logic says it's gonna be a fault in the ignition system then.

I'm not familiar with the Sachse system. Do they provide any test procedures for their system?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I think you might have more than one problem. Make sure you new battery is charged up.
The spark may not be real bright, so checking it in the shed without a light on will help. The spark may jump between the head and plug if it’s not well grounded, so look closer. You may have fouled the plugs with a weak spark. Are they dirty or wet ? If so, replace them and try again.
Try unplugging connectors and plugging them in pushing on both sides to seat the wires firmly. Spray them and clean them if they’re dirty or corroded. Same with the fuses.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What 900SS do you have 100beck?

The Sachse system will operate at only 7.5V, way below the "dead" battery voltage of around 10.5V. Some good advice already posted. If all was OK before the dead battery issue then it's unlikely that plugs, caps, HT leads are the issue but they are all really easy to check-out. Did you install the Sachse system? If so, did you keep the test LEDs used in setting up the system? If so, find them and connect them to the Sachse box and see what happens when you turn the motor over. If they are not turning on and off as the engine turns over then something is either wrong with the Sachse unit or it's power supply.

Other considerations:
  • Engine kill switch - if you have one, check it out and see if it is working properly. Either disassemble it to test or remove the gas tank and find the connector on the loom and test it there.
  • Ensure that all the Sacshe wiring is intact.
  • Is your bike charging? Disconnect the alternator wires from the regulator and connect them to a multimeter set on 100V and kick the bike over with the ignition off; you should see a reading. If not, there is an alternator issue, probably a simple wiring problem.
A link to the Sachse manual is below. Look at the installation tab and download the PDF file. THere are some troubleshooting notes at the very end of the instructions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, thanks for all replies , the spark plugs were wet and oily and I did change them and check spark in the dark but still no spark. i will probably just get it to my mechanic to check out.
One more question though, how do you tell if the ignition switch is faulty , would lights and such come on if the ignition switch is faulty ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found that you have an 82 SS from some earlier posts so our wiring is very similar if not the same. If this is the case, you don't have an engine kill switch. Your ignition switch is working if the lights all come on; when you turn the key on, power is directed from the battery through the 25A fuse to the ignition switch and then back to the two 8A fuses that feed all your other goodies. The power supply to your Sachse unit depends on how it was installed but it should get it's power from a switched 12V circuit otherwise it would be on all the time. I installed my Sachse system; I used the original ignition 12V switched power connection that once fed power to the two Bosch units to feed new Dynatek coils and the Sachse unit as this was really clean and easy. Where is your Sachse unit located? If it is accessible then it's easy to see if it is getting power using a multimeter connected to it's power feed at terminal #8. Do you also have new coils? New regulator?

I'm concerned that you may have a parasitic drain on your battery; something sucking out power when the bike is switched off. If your old battery is only two years old and you have maintained it reasonably well, it should not be dying as you described. Your bike looks so clean from pictures that it's hard to believe that you have some contaminated switches/fuses but with the tank and seat off, checking out the wiring and electrical components is pretty simple.

If you can, remove the tank and seat and post some pictures here of your Sachse system, coils, fuse box and regulator. This will help me and others troubleshoot this problem. If you do take it to your mechanic, make sure he/she explains and shows exactly what was wrong; the more you know about the bike the better. I strongly advise that you download the appropriate wiring diagram for your bike and get familiar with it. There is an error in the Ducati diagrams; the ignition pickups are directed to the wrong exciters but otherwise it's easy to follow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies , thanks Rick yes 82 model (sorry), my mechanic sent me another Sachse box and it had spark and started straight away and checked with multimeter that regulator was ok. It was just the battery died and cooked the box. I think my regulator is standard so should probably update it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
100beck: This is what I did: I bought a Shendingen Mosfet regulator (FH020AA) from Roadster Cycle (Home). I got the simple kit with the connector kit only. I'm not sure where your regulator is hidden; mine is just behind the battery, attached directly to the frame. The Shendingen one was a tight fit and required a small and simple, homemade bracket plate but it's in the same location as the original. The original Ducati fuse box had 4 fuses, three in use and one spare. I replaced this with a modern mini-fuse box that also had four fuses. Wiring is really simple; the two yellows from the regulator go to two of the regulator connections on the new regulator (there are three). Power from the regulator goes through the spare fuse slot, fitted with a 30A fuse and on to the positive battery terminal. The ground from the regulator goes directly to the negative battery terminal. There is also a ground connecting the negative battery terminal to the frame; note the picture that shows the new ground point on my frame. A second live wire connects the positive battery terminal to the other 25A fuse slot of the fusebox and on to the ignition switch via the big loom. When the ignition is switched on, power is fed back to the two 8A fuses that then power up the bike. The old, short connector that goes from one of the 8A fuses to the old regulator Bn connection is not required anymore so I sealed the end of this wire. After spending a lot of money on the Sachse ignition, I considered the new regulator a good insurance move. If you want pics/diagrams just ask. I'm glad the bike is running again.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Also note that the Sachse unit has two grounds. One will work fine but the manual states that if possible use both. The grounds shown in the pic above include two Sachse, one battery and one from the main loom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is my setup , still got the original regulator but it's working fine. I might put an upgraded regulator on just to be safe , until then I'll make sure i don't run the bike on a battery that's going flat (although I have a brand new battery now so shouldn't be a problem in the short term)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks good 100beck: Our bikes are almost the same. I note you also put in a modern fuse box. What do you use the spare fuse for? As noted earlier, according to the Sachse specs, the unit is very forgiving and can run on only 7.5V so battery power is not really the issue as a 12V battery is "dead" at 10.5V. I got the Shendingen regulator as insurance to protect the Sachse system. If you decide to go this route then tell me and I'll share my wiring and simple, little bracket set-up. It is possible that the side panel tab on your frame by the regulator may interfere with the Shendingen. I can take some measurements if you go this route to make sure the thing will fit your bike. I can't tell from your picture if both your Sachse grounds are being used.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Rick, I'm not sure what the spare fuse is used for as I didn't set it up. My battery was totally caput so didn't even have the 7'5 available. the two earths are going to the frame where my regulator attaches.
If I go the Shendingen i'll let you know , thanks for the offered help.
Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts