1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
I really like this, nice photo ;)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,841 Posts
Me too. It’s a great photo. But I don’t care for the white stripe. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,841 Posts
The rule of thirds is only a suggestion and doesn't suit every subject or situation. All though this photo works as is mainly because of the white stripe which I don't particularly care for. It's what draws the eye and works with this photo framed as is. If you put it on the other side it would put that focus more to the center. But generally another rule of photography will have you placing your subject looking into the frame rather than out of it such as what Tom_S is suggesting.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
...But generally another rule of photography will have you placing your subject looking into the frame rather than out of it such as what Tom_S is suggesting.
I got that, however, this is a machine, not an animate object. The intent of my comment was to spark just this sort of conversation... devils advocate if you will. ;)

The subject of that photo doesn't "look" anywhere... however, it is our interpretation of that machine, and of vehicles in general, that means that we understand that it does possess a forward/rearward orientation based on our knowledge of how it operates. If the bike had a rider on it, then I would agree that the rule of thirds composition would work better with the bike on the other side of the frame, but as it is, it is well composed.

I'll stop being an overly analytic prick now and just say to the OP, nice pic, and nice P'shop work. Well done.

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
I see a different perspective (I didnt read the WIKI link) inanimate objects are always anthropomorphized when we look at them whether intentional or not. So we do see them as having a face and a rear, however, that does not always dictate how to compose a shot. Composition depends on the artists intention - does he want to convey the subject as coming into the frame and thus connecting the the viewer? or is the intention to portray the subject as moving away or becoming disconnected? I've done it both ways depending on the mood I'm trying to create. and its amazing how different we feel about an image just with that simple placement. I say neither is wrong but it does have a profound impact on the message. Choose your composition accordingly.

Oh and I like the pic and the bike (stripe and all)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts