Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I really need your help before I lose my mind.

Before anyone says it, yes, I checked the kill switch. :D

Here is the story:
I just pulled my 2008 848 out of the garage the other day to prep her for some good weather riding. The bike was sitting for a few weeks and didn't even get turned on. I pull it out of the garage about two days ago to wash all the dust off. At that time it started just fine. I gave it a good wash like I have done before, and with every other bike I have had. Water and soap, and not spraying water directly into any openings.

Now, this morning I got ready to take it out for the first time. I put the key in, turned it on, LCD panel came on like always, red oil light and green neutral light on, headlight on, and you can hear the fuel pump start. Then I hit the starter button, and all I would get is one click and no start. I turned it off and back on to try again, same result, one solid click sound from the lower part of the bike. So now I have a pristine bike that I can't ride in this perfect 80* weather.

Here are the facts:

1. Bike wasn't used or even started for at least one month, although it did start just fine the other day.

2. It got a good cleaning two days ago, and I didn't dust her with a Swiffer and a little perfume like everyone else, I actually bathe her.

3. I have washed it in the past like this, and it has been just fine.

4. The bike sat for two days after being washed without getting used.

5. I do have aftermarket HID headlights installed and Termi's if that makes any difference.

6. Everything lights up and comes on like it normally would, it just won't start.

I am no mechanic, so I really don't know what is going on with the bike. All I can think is that the battery has a low charge and can turn all the lights on but cannot start the bike. I also thought it had something to do with the aftermarket HID hi/low beam headlights I have installed, but both of them turn on just fine.

I know a lot of you guys on here are incredibly intelligent when it comes to these fine pieces of machinery, and will most likely be able to finger the issue immediately.

Thanks in advance for the responses, gents.

-Anthony

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would start by checking battery and kick stand switch.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The first thing I do is hook up the battery tender and go have some coffee.

After a couple of cups it magically seems to work,

If not, but it turns over, then I grap a can of starter fluid...

If not then I really start looking. Sometimes washing bikes creates, what I call a soft short, which can drain the battery a touch while wet. When all is dry and ok It just goes away, but the battery is a bit deleted.

No saying this is it but works for me. Sometimes.....

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Per 'mn duc' check the voltage reading on the dash. If it's below 12 volts your bike will most likely not start. Just went through the same thing with my 848 - ended up being a bad battery.

·
Registered
720 Posts
assuming the battery is adequately charged and the starter motor is not running at all you may have a bad ground, clean the battery poles/wires and have a good look at the wire connections to the starter motor. Sometimes the ECU does not reset properly, when you disconnect the battery wires hold them against eachother for a minute or so to discharge any residual voltage at the ECU to ground. That way the ECU resets. Connect the wires again to the battery and it should be fixed. If not you may may have an ECU problem and need a dealer.
If it's not electrically related .... check the fuel. I once couldn't start my 1198 and after some searching I found that I used the last bits of fuel over winter by starting the engine every once in a while and warming her up :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts