Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a 'stunt' guy. I'm a firm believer in keeping both tires on the road. I'm also on a budget, so I have to kinda be nice to my bike. I mainly just zip and zing through our local mountain roads at a moderate, but still on the edge pace, then go home and drink beer.

I rode with a friend the other day who owns a 'V-max'. Damn that thing is brutal. I took him up to the twisties and promptly showed him my brake light and disapeared. I'd wait for him at the straights, and then HE'D show me his tail light and blast me off the road.
One particular straight is about a 1/8 of a mile long. No driveways, houses, businesses, or anything else to jump out in front of you. We were alone. We stopped, looked down the road, grinned at each other and......

.....my buddy rolled up in front of me and dumped it. I was still trying to get my shield down when his exhaust note ripped my freakin head off! Scared the shit out of me. It happened so fast that I just instinctivly snatched my throttle and started spinning. Once I got the tire to grab, much to my chagrin, the front end started coming up. I started giggling. It was pulling like a mother. As I shifted to second the front started dropping so I gave it everything the 75hp bitch had. She came up again and I rode it for a bit just like that. Finally I dropped the front, snatched third, and actually caught the dude because the dumbass missed third gear. We both laughed like hell at our little drag race, then did it again. And again.

Joey left longass burnouts up and down that road, and I managed a looong smooth wheelie in two gears. It was a really fun day.

·
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what we need....another damn squid!!! :D

So......you buy a new rear tire, yet? ;)
Well, you know me, 45 going on 17.:D You of all people should know the road. Going north on the Watershed road after the peoples house that also is a landscaping business, the curves are 45mph, then drop to 35mph, then there's this looooong straightaway. That's where we played at. I'm still just kinda shocked the ol bike would power up that way. It was fun. And now it's out of my system.;)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
You of all people should know the road. Going north on the Watershed road after the peoples house that also is a landscaping business, the curves are 45mph, then drop to 35mph, then there's this looooong straightaway.
Ah yes.....I've seen upwards of 150 in that straight....and the next curve, despite being marked "45" can easily be taken at.....well, much more than that. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good on ya for having a proper fun time with your bike! I'm no stunter either, but a nice wheelie can sure put a grin inside your helmet. Anytime you can find a nice deserted spot for such shenanigans it's some sort of sacrilege if you don't conjure up your inner child and throw some caution to the wind. Let the front end rise and the smiles begin!

·
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah yes.....I've seen upwards of 150 in that straight....and the next curve, despite being marked "45" can easily be taken at.....well, much more than that. ;)
I punked out at 120 there. That curve, for me, is about a 70. That place and that one long stretch on 11 is about the only places I get stupid. But ya know, You just gotta let loose once in awhile.:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Is that the road that starts near Furman and goes to Looking Glass?

Well, you know me, 45 going on 17.:D You of all people should know the road. Going north on the Watershed road after the peoples house that also is a landscaping business, the curves are 45mph, then drop to 35mph, then there's this looooong straightaway. That's where we played at. I'm still just kinda shocked the ol bike would power up that way. It was fun. And now it's out of my system.;)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I punked out at 120 there.
My 1999 SS750 would only do 128 with me on it. What's funny is that the bike did the 128 (indicated) in 4th gear, and 5th dropped down to 122. The stock gearing is pretty tall and couldn't push the wind with my lard ass on it.

Is that the road that starts near Furman and goes to Looking Glass?
You're thinking of Hwy 276 (Caesar's Head) that runs from Greenville, up to Caesar's Head state park, through Brevard, and over the BRP into Waynesville, NC. The Watershed isn't too far from 276, but it goes from Hwy 11 into the small town of Tuxedo, NC. I want to say that it is listed as Hwy 525.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts