Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. I finally got a chance to run my bike on the dyno Yesterday.
Bike:
1997 748SP with 28.000 miles (45000km)
Performance upgrades:
45-48mm Arrow pipes, mag rims, 14-40 gearing and a 1kg (2lbs) lighter clutch assembly. Oh.. and newly lubricated chain :D

Ducati says:
104 [email protected] RPM and 75nm(55ft/lbs)@9000RPM.

The dyno says!
95 [email protected]~11.200 RPM and 71nm(53ft/lbs)@~8800RPM.

The Abyss in torque between 4500 - 6000RPM is both Fuel and backpressure related. Some of which is easily solved says the man who runs the dyno. The camtiming is going to help that somewhat.

Atleast now i have something to work with.
Camdialing will be first, then a map for the PC3 for that.
Setting the squish during next winter will probably help.
853cc is a possible.. depends on what downleak i may or may not have.

//amullo

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ducati state 104 hp.. that´s it.. They didn´t specify more then that back in 1997. And if you take into account that Ducati stated CRANK hp (+~13% = 107hp and ~80NM ).. Then the engine is STILL producing equall or MORE HP and Torque then it should when it was new!

And the bike is somewhat used. I do 10-15 trackdays a year, but i also service her with utmost care.

I´m going in for a camdialing and I´ll have to report back after that and fuelmapping, but i gather that i could probably keep the HP, but get more midrange and more torque by advancing the inlet cam somewhat.

I´ll follow up with more info when i get it.

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright now..

Yesterday Me and a friend started to take the bike apart to see what camdialing can be made. These are the numbers we came up with.

Vertical
Inlet: 100degrees
Exhaust: 108 degrees
P/V: 2.30 mm

Horisontal:
Inlet: 101.5 degrees
Exhaust: 108 degrees
P/V 2.30 mm

So our though was to advance the inletcams to ~92 degrees and go off to the dyno. We´ll do the job with offset keys in the stock camwheels, since it´s an easy, inexpensive and SAFE way to go. We also saw that my plugs where rather dry(diplomatic), so i definatly need more fuel.

I´ll report back ones I´ve had the bike to the dyno again. Stay tuned (Pun intended)

//amullo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.