Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I googled the shit out of this and I cant find alot of info for the 748, this morning the gears shifter was stuck in first gear.from what I did find on the web was to check the return spring, I removed both engine covers I could see anything that stood out right away, i didnt find anything broken, but I was able to shift into neutral with the cover off and later up to the last gear, then when downshifting it wasn't working. Seems like the shift pawl wasn't pushing far enough to rotate the drum? I'm not sure I'm guessing. I did find a update kit on while on google, but I dont know if that's the problem? I do have a video but I dont know if it can be uploaded here. Could someone help fix this thing, I have several thousands in parts waiting to go on I would like to once and for all finish this fn thing.Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok so I googled the shit out of this and I cant find alot of info for the 748, this morning the gears shifter was stuck in first gear.from what I did find on the web was to check the return spring, I removed both engine covers I could see anything that stood out right away, i didnt find anything broken, but I was able to shift into neutral with the cover off and later up to the last gear, then when downshifting it wasn't working. Seems like the shift pawl wasn't pushing far enough to rotate the drum? I'm not sure I'm guessing. I did find a update kit on while on google, but I dont know if that's the problem? I do have a video but I dont know if it can be uploaded here. Could someone help fix this thing, I have several thousands in parts waiting to go on I would like to once and for all finish this fn thing.Thanks

dude I had the same problem!!

take the left hand side casing off and adjust the gear lever linkage, there must be a thread on here how to do it! Its been a while since I had to do it!

I bet good money when you put it in first the gear lever felt like it engaged and the felt like it went a bit further than it should!! that's when they get stuck!!
also check for ware on the end of the linkage where it turns the gearbox shaft

·
Registered
473 Posts
Have you measured the stack height of the plates?

It's a shot in the dark...but page 1038 in the m821 manual shows how it's to be adjusted...the linkage looks like it's exactly the same...I'm just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you measured the stack height of the plates?

It's a shot in the dark...but page 1038 in the m821 manual shows how it's to be adjusted...the linkage looks like it's exactly the same...I'm just trying to be helpful.
Are you asking if i checked the stack height of the clutch plates

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you asking if i checked the stack height of the clutch plates
I was just grabbing at straws...an attempt to be helpful...but I'm watching the pawl in your video...it doesn't look like it's turning the drum enough or it's failing to grab...if that's the case it's possibly a travel issue...in my manual... disregard the tool...it's basically holding the upper lever free...you see in the picture he is pressing the limit bracket against the arm...that's as far as it needs to be...and by proxy is setting the return limit...perhaps your slightly biased in the wrong direction...it also says to replace the screws after every other adjustment...again...its an m821 manual but looks the same

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just grabbing at straws...an attempt to be helpful...but I'm watching the pawl in your video...it doesn't look like it's turning the drum enough or it's failing to grab...if that's the case it's possibly a travel issue...in my manual... disregard the tool...it's basically holding the upper lever free...you see in the picture he is pressing the limit bracket against the arm...that's as far as it needs to be...and by proxy is setting the return limit...perhaps your slightly biased in the wrong direction...it also says to replace the screws after every other adjustment...again...its an m821 manual but looks the same
Your help is appreciated, I think you explained what I was trying to say better than I did.
dude I had the same problem!!

take the left hand side casing off and adjust the gear lever linkage, there must be a thread on here how to do it! Its been a while since I had to do it!

I bet good money when you put it in first the gear lever felt like it engaged and the felt like it went a bit further than it should!! that's when they get stuck!!
also check for ware on the end of the linkage where it turns the gearbox shaft
It looks lined up, but if I ever so slightly move the shifter it goes out of alignment, maybe that's because the left engine casing is off and the shaft isn't supported well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
take it off and check for ware!! its an easy fix if its out of adjustment or worn! also check the magnetic drain plug and oil filter just incase its a deeper issue!! get your finger in the sump as well! have a good feel about for large debris!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
take it off and check for ware!! its an easy fix if its out of adjustment or worn! also check the magnetic drain plug and oil filter just incase its a deeper issue!! get your finger in the sump as well! have a good feel about for large debris!
Will do

·
Registered
335 Posts

I only say to do this because when this happened to me and I sorted it, shortly after the shim from behind the flywheel failed, bits of that went into the gearbox and bits of that went into the vertical cylinder!! (game over)

that was the start of a 3 year build ££££££$$$$$$$ better safe than sorry mate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only say to do this because when this happened to me and I sorted it, shortly after the shim from behind the flywheel failed, bits of that went into the gearbox and bits of that went into the vertical cylinder!! (game over)

that was the start of a 3 year build ££££££$$$$$$$ better safe than sorry mate.
I checked for wear could not find any. I re-adjusted the shifter as best as I can. It does shift gears. Some times it goes from first gear neutral and shifts to second good. But to get past that I have to turn the clutch shaft back and forth and shift at the same time. Should I expect this to shift smoothly all thru the gears? I know you have to turn the rear wheel to help it shift BUT when I do turn the wheel it doesn't make a difference. Very rarely can I shift from first and all the way up without having to turn the clutch shaft.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can't remember how well mine shifted on the bench....with oil pressure in the system it might make all the difference

·
Registered
335 Posts
you need that engine turning for it to shift properly, although it sounds to me like the end of the shifter/drum actuator is worn! i would need to see photots of this off the bike! its pretty obvious when worn! i have a few in the garage

1 - 20 of 25 Posts