Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Amazing build, congratulations!!

Can you share the paint coded that you used to spray the engine and parts with the dark magnesium look? I'm looking to do the same to my 999 next winter but its difficult to find good color match for the gold magnesium look.

The one you used seems to be closer to the magnesium color that Honda normally uses. Ducati seem to have a mag that is closer to gold than bronze.
I use Dupli-Color Cast Coat Iron darker side covers and Cast Coat Aluminum for the engine, the dark cast color is slightly lighter than the original, but I didn't care and most will not not notice.
for the

not notice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Incredible!

Two questions:
1) Why the screws in the lower triple? I assume you want to limit the steering range for some reason?
2) Where do you get the vinyl to shoot the letters etc?
This bike was not well loved, It looks like it was low sided at one time and jammed the stops, so I trimmed up the damage and added adjustable stops like on the later 996's. I did straightened the steering stop and added some weld for strength before powder coating the frame.

I'm a custom painter (helmets) www.graphixbyjim.com and I have a small Roland plotter that i can make decals and masks for painting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Reactions: JoeNathan78

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice, I have the hots for a 748R and if I ever come across one I can refer to your post!!!! BTW, I play Piano, Bass guitar and Classical guitar

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
443 Posts
You sir, have learned some serious skills in your 60 circuits of the Sun.
Even your timber stand is a nice bit of work, make up some flat-pack kits and make some nice money, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,261 Posts
Once again showing the classic 916 design is still a beautiful bike almost 30 years later.

Great job Nunzio she is a beauty, proof that even a slightly worn bike can be brought back to better than new with a bit of work.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Very nicely done. Goes to show what a little effort and some good skills will do. You freshened up the bike and it looks beautiful. Some carefully applied rattle cans make the engine and chassis really pop to match the excellent quality paintwork you did on the bodywork. We certainly can not all be able to do the bodywork as well as you. But we can all use a rattle can with some practice. Your thread is an inspiration to motivate us.
Any chance you recall the Gold/Mag color used on the swingarm? Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
"Any chance you recall the Gold/Mag color used on the swingarm? Thanks! "

Dupli-Color HWP105 Bronze High Performance Wheel Paint - 12 oz.

1619388235020.png

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Thanks Mate. You have a very Italian name. I know a Nunzio in Cascina, Italia. Has a MTS1200.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Excellent work and very interesting. Currently I am going down a similar path but as the 916 has only 3,200Kms on it I am headed for as original as I can. I have many questions to come so I look forward to help on this forum. Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Good Luck on the build

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A little update. It's been little over a month since I finished this project. Here are some updated pix. A week after I finished it, I took it to Barber Motorsport to do a track day with some friends. Not bad for a 60 year old guy?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts