Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really considering trading or selling my little 250 project bike.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a front end and wheels for
not stupid prices. It's completely original being that no two parts came from the same bike. I've sourced every single part
starting with the engine cases with pictures here: https://akress.com/monoster.php

It runs but I'm not sure how well yet under a load. It's also titled in Ohio and so damn close to "road worthy".
I'd kinda like to just trade it off for an old beat up monster and be done with it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are a lot of parts floating around for those things you just have to dig. Dave Chrone, a singles engine builder and who used to race them has stuff, I will PM you his email

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. I think I've worn out a few shovel digging over the last few year.

I'm going to send a messages off to Dave today.
You're welcome. I am building a bike for Moto Giro from a 250 Monza - frame and everything - and, naturally, I gave away the rims. You may considering putting alum rims on the bike since everything is heavy. My new frame weighs about 16 lbs vs almost 40 on the orig. There's another guy who has stuff, Roy Kidney, who also has a number of very nice restored singles. I will call him.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here's a list of what Dave did on the engine. He said it should make about 28 hp

• Cylinder, cylinder head, cases and valve covers vapor blasted
• Cylinder head repair - weld and re-tap threads on single Allen head boss
• Rebored cylinder to fit stock 76 mm 9.5 to 1 compression 350 Mark 3 piston/new rings
• New piston rings
• Install larger intake and exhaust valves from 350 Mark 3
• Clean out crankshaft sludge trap
• Lightened clutch center hub, pressure plate and basket
• Lightened oil pump gear and points shaft gear
• Installed new stator plate and flywheel
• New bearings
• External aluminum cases polished
• Replace oil screen
• Install Electrex World STK-161 electronic ignition system with 120 w alternator
• New countershaft sprocket
• New ignition timing points cover
• New engine sealing gaskets
• Valve job on head and port to fit 40/36 mm valves
• Stainless steel hardware
• Install new clutch plates
• Installed new kick start bushing, shim and retracting plate
• Port head for 30mm carb
• Install Scrambler cam
• Repair valve cover mount - installed 4 helicoils in the head
• Replace needed shims and misc hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
you sure went to town on the frame . is there any original tubing left ?

rear swing arm oval tubing ?

btw 28 rw hp is a bit optimistic .

Eldert

·
Registered
338 Posts
you sure went to town on the frame . is there any original tubing left ?

rear swing arm oval tubing ?

btw 28 rw hp is a bit optimistic .

Eldert
My frame guy has all the tubing which is 4130. It's readily available from many different supply houses. He made the oval tube using a press. The eng mounts I designed in CAD and were cut on a water jet from 4130 sheet as was the lower frame jig which was 1018 mild steel.

I have no reason to doubt Dave who's built and raced many of these, plus the bike is no longer a 250, closer to 300 but still under the MG requirements. Higher compression, larger valves and carb and different cam.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
you only gain 12 cc by going to 76 mm bore . 0.785 X 5.78 X 7.6 X 7.6 = 262 cc .

i had LA sleeve make me some bigger liners with 84 mm O.D.

and J/E made some oversize pistons for me in 79.50 and 80 mm

with the 80 bore you get 290 cc .

at the moment i am taking out a 340 Sebring to 372 for my play bike .

Eldert

·
Registered
338 Posts
I too once had a dream of Tubeless tires and triple disks on my Single Ducati -

So I also robbed some poor 80's Yamaha of it's wheels, brakes and forks, and yet another different Yamaha of it's swingarm.................

That was back in 1992 or so when I was "Young, Dumb, and Full of Rum" as they say - someday I will finish this bike -

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I too once had a dream of Tubeless tires and triple disks on my Single Ducati -

So I also robbed some poor 80's Yamaha of it's wheels, brakes and forks, and yet another different Yamaha of it's swingarm.................

That was back in 1992 or so when I was "Young, Dumb, and Full of Rum" as they say - someday I will finish this bike -
I like it!

I take a lot of shit for the front of my bike. I've heard it all. If I could find a spoked rim that fit a 86 Yam Radian I would just keep this front end.

I did get a reply back from Mr. Chrone. He's got all my parts now I just need to afford them.

I also found a place to re create the rear sprocket for me because, go figure, the rear wheel I have isn't a typical 250 wheel. I was for possibly a 160. rebelgears.com quoted around $100 or so. The sprocket looks like this..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts