Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I hate that this is my first thread on .ms but...
My mono deaded itself.
History-
New electrosport R/R from JC
Fuel line recall
Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 in stock battery box,
All fuses good
40 amp fuse okay
main ground clean - less than 3 ohms

Symptoms
Can barley pop start it. Got stranded on Wingdale Mountain in Poughquag with my brother and another friend.
Bike seems to be shorting out somewhere but I cannot find where.
Draw on battery makes the bike unable to even idle after pop starting down a mountain... i.e. wont go through checks and eventually does nothing. BUT the immobilizer light keeps flashing...
:think:
Any ideas would be much appreciated brethren!

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Both spark plug leads snug on both cylinders and on coils? Is there actually gas in it (don't laugh, it happens!)? Get a voltage reading of the battery at rest and, if possible, at 3-4000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
How many volts at the Shorai? While not running, and while "running"?

Something electrical isn't right; with the new components, it's possible you have a bad RR or Battery.:(

You may need to plug in a known fresh battery and trace component by component to find your drain. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Did you fry your RR before the replacement? If so check the insulation on the plug between the alternator and the RR. Had this happen to mine after the second RR meltdown.

Cut out the plug and soldered the wires not a problem since

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys! thank you for all the replies! Im working on the bike now and will update with readings in a few..
I have gas in the bike aircooled nut haha.. (also i have a 69 vert)
R/R wasnt fried i replaced it just to be safe...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put a meter on the leads coming from the generator.. revved to 2000 rpm.. no volts revved to 6000 no volts.... i think the stator is shot.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
What was the voltage at the battery (after the R/R)? The voltage before the R/R is AC...I'm pretty sure...that's why the bike has a regulator/RECTIFIER.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the voltage from the stator when engine is running ramps up very high along with rpm .if measuring from voltage regulator and reading 0 than check the regulator fuse

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys...
Wanted to post my findings
I used a fluke 177 Multimeter to measure -
Battery (shorai) was sitting at 13 volts @ rest before i began testing.
(BTW I performed the tests twice and on different female plugs.. ect.. These are averages I was finding)
Started at the Alternator - ~19 volts AC @ 2000 RPM, Manual says 27 give or take 10, so this checks out.
I then raised the RPMs to 6000, my meter read consistently ~41 volts AC, Manual says it should be near 78V give or take ten. Bad news there.
Voltage coming out of the R/R 12V DC... it stayed there for both test, it did not fluctuate, even under various loads/ throttle positions.
Measured my battery after, it was at 12.5V

I am thinking i have a partially demagnetized Stator.
Thoughts or suggestions? (hoping to hear from Air_Cooled_Nut, Dicduc)
Thank you in advance !
Pat

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
It's odd that the alternator has gone out on such a young bike but I guess it's possible. If it were me, I'd do a flurry of checks on the alternator in hopes of ruling it out but if it is the issue then time for a replacement or repair :( For me that would be the dealership but I would have them double-check my work to make sure (get their 'expert' opinion).

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Started at the Alternator - ~19 volts AC @ 2000 RPM, Manual says 27 give or take 10, so this checks out.
I then raised the RPMs to 6000, my meter read consistently ~41 volts AC, Manual says it should be near 78V give or take ten. Bad news there.
Voltage coming out of the R/R 12V DC... it stayed there for both test, it did not fluctuate, even under various loads/ throttle positions.
Measured my battery after, it was at 12.5V

I am thinking i have a partially demagnetized Stator.
Thoughts or suggestions? (hoping to hear from Air_Cooled_Nut, Dicduc)
Thank you in advance !
Pat
Looking over those voltage readings, they are low. Voltage coming out of the R/R is DEFINITELY LOW! So if the R/R is known good then yeah, the alternator is not doing its job. At 3500RPM you should be getting 14.3ish volts.

So, wuzzup?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
On old bikes running a bad battery can cause stator/rotor/reg/rect. failures. The way it happens is that one puts their bike on a charger every time they park it and basically have enough charge to start the bike and to then run it off of the system, but the reg/rect. is working overtime trying to charge a bad battery. Owner doesn't find out until they fry something totally, or go on a long enough trip that the bike refuses to start. I don't know whether this applies to our newer bikes or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts