Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(My Gas gauge is not reliable) I ran out of gas, then overfilled the tank accidently.
Now My 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 821 started stalling and won't run.
How do I fix this?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i would normally assume that an issue immediately after filling up is related to the fuel that was put in. drain it, replace the fuel and spark plugs and go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would normally assume that an issue immediately after filling up is related to the fuel that was put in. drain it, replace the fuel and spark plugs and go from there.
Thanks! The fuel is good, but when we took out the spark plugs, there was lots of black residue at the tip. this supposedly means its "running rich"? How can I adjust that?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
So a few things.

1. does it have a charcoal canister (california emmisions) ?
If yes you may have filled the canister with liquid fuel with has the same effect as poring water into flour. It will clog the canister and cause it to run rich until it burns off the excess fuel. I would disconnect the charcoal can temporarily and plug the manifold side hose. see if that helps with running.

2. On the no start issue
do you mean you killed the battery or it cranks normally but wont start?

If it wont crank normally start by charging the battery.

If it cranks but wont start begin by seeing if the immobilizer is the problem.

1. remove key from the bike
2. hold key high above your head
3. walk 5 times around the bike heading in whichever direction takes you toward Italy. Do not walk quickly you want to make sure the key is as close to the sky as you can get it and it can be seen by the satellite.
4. reinstall the key and turn on the ignition waiting for the gauges to sweep before hitting the start button.

You would be amazed at how often this works and you will understand if you see ducati owners doing this on the side of the road or in parking lots.
Okay so it may be more about the key needing a time out from the antenna in the key base but what fun is that. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a few things.

If yes you may have filled the canister with liquid fuel with has the same effect as poring water into flour. It will clog the canister and cause it to run rich until it burns off the excess fuel. I would disconnect the charcoal can temporarily and plug the manifold side hose. see if that helps with running.

2. On the no start issue

3. walk 5 times around the bike heading in whichever direction takes you toward Italy. Do not walk quickly you want to make sure the key is as close to the sky as you can get it and it can be seen by the satellite.
4. reinstall the key and turn on the ignition waiting for the gauges to sweep before hitting the start button.

You would be amazed at how often this works and you will understand if you see ducati owners doing this on the side of the road or in parking lots.
Okay so it may be more about the key needing a time out from the antenna in the key base but what fun is that. ;)
So a few things.

2. On the no start issue

So thank you but i do not have the main key. It is not the immobilizer. it is just immobile. It cranks, but thats it. Fuel pump initiates. No spark ! What should we try?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
"i do not have the main key. It is not the immobilizer."

Does this mean you had the immobilizer removed?
what happened to the immobilizer, the bike came with one so it is possible what ever bypassed it failed.
Can you tell if the fuel injectors are working?
(do you smell gas after cranking or are the spark plugs wet?)
Does the fuel pump sound different than normal?
( a split line in the tank) just remembered no spark so that should not be it.
Crank angle sensor on the left front of the motor will have some control of spark and fuel so if it went bad you could see this.
ECU failure also , a remap to remove the immobilizer could be the issue but usually once you are running they do not go bad.
I assume you checked fuses and battery terminals .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"i do not have the main key. It is not the immobilizer."

Does this mean you had the immobilizer removed?
what happened to the immobilizer, the bike came with one so it is possible what ever bypassed it failed.
Can you tell if the fuel injectors are working?
(do you smell gas after cranking or are the spark plugs wet?)
Does the fuel pump sound different than normal?
( a split line in the tank) just remembered no spark so that should not be it.
Crank angle sensor on the left front of the motor will have some control of spark and fuel so if it went bad you could see this.
ECU failure also , a remap to remove the immobilizer could be the issue but usually once you are running they do not go bad.
I assume you checked fuses and battery terminals .
HI!
No immobilizer wasnt removed, we just dont have the original key, we have the secondary key. How do I know if its been bypassed? The original owner supposedly lost the key.
(Is that a joke about walking around with the key? Now Im not sure! :whistle:
I definitely smelled gas before, but when I start it, nothing happens when i turn the throttle.No gas
No spark

will remapping fix everything? Ha ha - but is that the place to start?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI!
No immobilizer wasnt removed, we just dont have the original key, we have the secondary key. How do I know if its been bypassed? The original owner supposedly lost the key.
I definitely smelled gas before, but when I start it, nothing happens when i turn the throttle.No gas
No spark

HI!
No spark

I just cant help but think that when the gas ran down, some sediment was picked up from the bottom of the empty tank and clogged the lines or filter. should i flush the lines? we are changing the filter too. new sprk plugs get fouled immediately.
can I adjust the bike if it is running rich? or do i have to take it to the ducati dealer for the ecu reflash?

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
429 Posts
I just cant help but think that when the gas ran down, some sediment was picked up from the bottom of the empty tank and clogged the lines or filter. should i flush the lines? we are changing the filter too. new sprk plugs get fouled immediately.
can I adjust the bike if it is running rich? or do i have to take it to the ducati dealer for the ecu reflash?
You have a lot of research to do, it’s all on here. You can reflash your ecu on your own, you can change the fuel lines on your own, you can change the fuel pump/filter on your own, you can even program keys on your own.

seems like you don’t know enough about the bike or the symptoms to get an accurate answer and it’s evident in the title of the thread.

go through the mode of operations:
Is the fuel pump priming? Are the fuel lines pinched? Is the tank rusting? Is the air filter in good condition? Are the relays good? Any fuses blown? Continuity in the wiring? Good ground? Charging system functional? Is the key in fact matched with the dash?

all of those questions can be answered by google if you include the words “Ducati forum” in your search.

there’s a lot of guys on here who love to help, but there’s also a lot of guys who have heard these questions hundreds of times before and are tired of doing what a bit of googling will do.

this is not me being an ass, I’m saying this because I’ve been there, learned everything I know by meticulously searching for the info needed, and when clarification was needed, I would post a question.

have a clear idea and a well articulated explanation of the situation, mention that you googled this and that and still need help, than you’ll get to where you wanna be a lot faster.

just trying to help, but we can’t help if we don’t know what’s going on.

its your bike, you’re the one who has easiest access to it. Trial and error, learning from your mistakes, and refining the processes as you go will not only yield positive results, but it will also teach you immense amounts about how Ducati’s work, and once you intimately know the air cooled engines, you can pretty much transfer those skills to any other desmo engine.

long post, I know, and if the tone seemed negative, it wasn’t necessarily intentional, but you gotta get your hands dirty to earn respect from the big wigs on here(I am far from one).

Then you will be able to trade knowledge, teach others, and build beautiful bikes.

thats why we’re all here!

so next steps: do some googling, get the workshop manual, memorize the parts diagrams, try the suggestions on here, and go from there.

start with learning about gizzidiag. Download it, buy the cables, and learn the software so you can disable your immobilizer and o2 sensors, and then work your way through the system, making sure to start with the least invasive potential fixes before moving onto the more incolved stuff if that doesn’t fix the issue.

feel free to pm me if you need any guidance :)

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
"No immobilizer wasnt removed, we just dont have the original key, we have the secondary key." "(Is that a joke about walking around with the key?"

1/2 joke = the bike has a immobilizer so if you leave the key on for too long it will lock you out. The reason you remove the key and get it away from the bike (distance + time) is to allow it to reset and when you reinstall the key if the immobilizer timed out it should work again. When you try and start just turn the key wait for the gauge needles to finish sweeping and then press the start button. Leaving the key in the on position too long without starting will lock you out.

"I definitely smelled gas before, but when I start it, nothing happens when i turn the throttle.No gas
No spark "

Turning the throttle adds air but never fuel because the engine is not running and it is not a carburetor. If you do not smell fuel after cranking a bunch and the fresh spark plugs are not wet we can assume you have no functioning fuel injection as well as spark. If you have lost both spark AND fuel it points to a control function such as ECU,Crank position sensor , ecu fuse/relay or simply the immobilizer is saying NO! Something is either not allowing it to start (withholding spark/fuel) or power/signal to one of the main components is not functioning.

"will remapping fix everything?"
Unlikely unless someone prior has been in the ecu and screwed something up. If it was running before this is less likely.

"I just cant help but think that when the gas ran down, some sediment was picked up from the bottom of the empty tank and clogged the lines or filter. should i flush the lines? we are changing the filter too."

It is possible but very unlikely as clogged lines/filters plug most often at higher rpms than start up. Plus that does not effect spark.

"new spark plugs get fouled immediately. "
Wet plugs show you are getting fuel from injection, this points more to only spark loss. I assume the plugs are wet fouled only and not black (carbon) fouled?

"can I adjust the bike if it is running rich? or do i have to take it to the ducati dealer for the ecu reflash? "
Only with software or with air bypasses, the question is why is it rich?

If the 5am/5.9M ecu fails it often goes full rich. It is easy to damage one of these ecu's by running power down a ground line by mistake. If the bike has dodgy wiring or aftermarket electrical mods you may have a blown ecu. They often will start and run when this happens but will be very rich.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Just because I have seen it, you are sure the fuel put in was not from a diesel pump?
if the pump is suspect verify what is fouling plugs is actually fuel and not water etc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts