Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd share some pics with you all, on July 11th this year I had a pretty major highside at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney.. result was a broken wrist with a Ti Plate inserted, minor bleeding on the frontal lobe (landed on my head) and a couple of fractured and dislocated toes and 3 days in Hospital.... and my bike didn't look so purty ...

As it turns out, i had a full set of CF fairings away being painted at the time, so after about a month, i decided to start rebuilding... some pics below :

here what left of helmet and leathers

and a few of the bike, think we were both lucky

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally, i'd like to thank the following:

All my mates who helped me out after the accident, getting my bike and car home, coming to the Hospital with stuff, feeding my dog etc etc ..

To Guido from Shift Tech, for starting and feeding my Carbon Fibre addiction, until i ended up a confessed Carbon junkie, for him always being there with help, and advice, and with the next peice of Carbon to help stop my withdrawal symptoms.. i am now attending CF's addicts anonymous, and hope to one day become reformed.. Thanks Guido, you're worth your weight in Carbon :D

Also, to Anthony and the guys at Commoto for all the bits n peices i have bought, again, always a great help, easy too deal with and great pricing..

To BCM Ducati, who looked after me with Marvic Assen Mag Rims, were very easy to deal and very helpful..

Thanks again to everyone!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Wow!! That really looks awesome!! Nice job and a full recovery to boot!

·
Registered
55 Posts
glad to hear you were okay after the accident, gear did its job it looks like.

Bike turned out better than before I believe so it worked out in the end for ya.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My congratulations to you! I know what all that hospital stuff is about and your job rebuilding the bike is very clean and well done. I think you should both be called "Laserus"!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys.. i love the 1198s, is definitely sweeter than my 1098s was...

The levers are from Bursi Evolution in Italy (ebay) .. DTC was on Lvl5, but here's the thing.. it was a cold morning, almost middle of winter, i had been out the first session and pushed a little hard, and torn my rear tyre up a little.. 2nd session i made it to turn 7.. i remember tipping in to turn 7 (a little too quick), almost instantly the rear let go, and that's about all i do remember.. i wasn't on the gas, so DTC was never going to save me anyway.. and i recommend not relying on it either...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally, i'd like to thank the following:

All my mates who helped me out after the accident, getting my bike and car home, coming to the Hospital with stuff, feeding my dog etc etc ..

To Guido from Shift Tech, for starting and feeding my Carbon Fibre addiction, until i ended up a confessed Carbon junkie, for him always being there with help, and advice, and with the next peice of Carbon to help stop my withdrawal symptoms.. i am now attending CF's addicts anonymous, and hope to one day become reformed.. Thanks Guido, you're worth your weight in Carbon :D

Also, to Anthony and the guys at Commoto for all the bits n peices i have bought, again, always a great help, easy too deal with and great pricing..

To BCM Ducati, who looked after me with Marvic Assen Mag Rims, were very easy to deal and very helpful..

Thanks again to everyone!

I also need to thank one of the most Important people in all of this as well.. Raceface Specialized Paint Finishes in Adelaide, Australia for the paintwork... Tony is a legend with a spray gun..

·
Registered
956 Posts
This part just made my day, congrats man. Glad you got back on the horse...

and then finally my return to the track last Monday :D

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
First of all, glad you came out of your crash in good shape and your back on the horse. We all have seen numerous high sides on film and are amazed the injury rate doesn't seem to equal the typical high side. I think that has to do with the physics of the high side, since the rear wheel action is pretty much the same in each case the exit from the motorcycle is fairly typical. Most riders seem to land on their back in a more or less flat position or on their butts first. However, I think if the ejection from the seat was a little different, lets say flew you head first onto the pavement as the typical landing point, the serious injury rate would go way up, especially spinal injuries. I even think the incidence of fatal injuries would be high as well. Thank god its not that way. Your case was interesting because it also didn't fit the typical high side landing, yours was more like the dangerous landing described above.

Just my non scientific observations. Also, the action just prior to the high side I found curious. You said you weren't really going that fast when you tipped the bike in, but you said you tipped it in a little to quick. Did that mean in terms of the lean or speed? I felt you meant the lean. Anyway, it seems to me once you tipped it in apparently you must have spun up the motor, otherwise it would have been a lowside. I don't think you can "perform" a high side unless the rear wheel is spinning much faster than the ground speed or the speed of the front tire. The rear wheel will then complete the last high side element and you get thrown over the handlebars.

If it was activated, I think the TC would have helped you because the computer would have detected the motor spinning up once the rear end kicked out. You would have likely had a little wup di do out of the seat, but not over the bars.

Its always great to see other riders overcoming injuries and returning to their bikes. It happened to me and recovery took a long time. I'll never be the same, but at least I can throw my leg over the bike now. I just have to make sure to never get into another crash, its like having two strikes against you.

Your bike looks awesome, great work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts