Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding tonight, the temp averaged 260 degrees F with the ambient air temp around 72 F. Does that seem high? What kind of temps are you guys seeing under similar conditions. I was cruising about 50 mph on a flat road.

My friend who has a LV midpipe and exhaust was consistently 40 degrees cooler. I think he also has the Ducati race ECU. Perhaps the ECU is dumping more fuel in the <5000 rpm range. Can the catalytic converter create that much additional engine heat?

Don

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i would have that checked out i was riding my bike in 118 degree weather in az and never once had a temp that high 240 is the hottest ive seen it so far.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine never does 240 F unless I'm stuck in a traffic jam. If I'm constantly moving it doesn't get that hot. I have a mivv slip on with stock ecu. When my bike was with the stock exhaust it didn't got that hot either while moving.
Is your bike stock exhaust? If it is you have to check with your dealer. It shouldn't get that hot.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Something is wrong with your bike. My stock 08 will not get that hot unless I am thrashing it and the air temp is over 95F. Many things could be causing this. Have you adjusted your air-bleed screws? They are very lean from the factory. Backing them out 1 1/2 turns from closed dropped my temp 20-30 degrees.

Have you checked your oil level? Are you riding at 50mph in 2nd gear? 260 F won't hurt this motor-it can take alot more-but I would worry that something important is out of whack.

If it is running at 260 at 50mph your motor might melt at 100mph. Get it checked out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think something is definitely wrong. It now has 600 miles and I still have people riding behind me comment on a burning odor.

Don

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr. John,

I was unaware the bike had air bleed screws. I thought the A/F mixture was completely controlled by the ECU. I ordered the Fatduc to richen the mixture but will hold off installation until I find the source of the heating.

The bike was just serviced so I will take it back to have it looked at. The CEL has come on several times which may be related to heat. According the guys that did the service, no error codes were logged so they could not tell what triggered the CEL.

I wonder how hot the bike needs to get before an error is logged.

Don

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dr. John,

I was unaware the bike had air bleed screws. I thought the A/F mixture was completely controlled by the ECU. I ordered the Fatduc to richen the mixture but will hold off installation until I find the source of the heating.

The bike was just serviced so I will take it back to have it looked at. The CEL has come on several times which may be related to heat. According the guys that did the service, no error codes were logged so they could not tell what triggered the CEL.

I wonder how hot the bike needs to get before an error is logged.

Don
The adjustment screws are covered by orange plugs on the throttle bodies.

It is illegal for you or I to touch them. That having been said, all modern bikes are set insanely lean to meet US and EURO-3 smog rules. If you run your bike in dark you can see the front pipe glow bright red-not good.

I was going to get the Fatduc myself, but after I adjusted the air-bleed everything worked the way I wanted. A good tuner can make this perfect by reading the exhaust gasses, I hit the sweet spot on the first try at 1 1/2 turns out.

It's your choice what to do to your bike, but to make it run right you have to break the rules. Hmmm, motorcyclists breaking the rules, that will never catch on.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
stock mapping sucks, big time. I did the 2into2 Termis + perf ECU, and this type of tune up:

-stopped the stalling
-stopped the lurching at slow speeds
-made the bike run better and cooler all around

I fool myself that I am still legal...since I left the cat on, did not take off the evap box, and the dual termis are supposed to be homologated for street use with the baffles in....

good luck sorting yours.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live on SoCal where we routinely see 100+ in the summer while moving runs about 215F - have never seen above 240F even when sitting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
replaced the catalytic converter with Leo Vince mid pipe. I plan to do a ride now to see if the temp changes.

Thanks all

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back from the ride. Temp is still very high, 270 - 280 around town about 70 degrees ambient. This is cruising, no stop and go. It feels like the bike is down on power since I replaced the cat converter. May be my imagination but I can stand on it, WOT in second gear, and keep the front wheel on the ground. On the freeway, the 60-90 mph sprint is not as quick. It still pulls decent but not like it used to. Does anyone know if replacing the midpipe without any other mods can bring power down?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I seen lots of stock bikes with the cat still in place that do NOT run at 260+
the way your's is. Be careful not to run this bike too much before finding the
real cause of the heating issue. You might want to pull a spark plug and check
for an extreme lean condition (white and possibly blistered center electrode
insulator sleeve). You may have an ECU problem, timing problem, intake vacuum
(air leak), or a fuel delivery problem. By relieving some of the back pressure
with no cat in the exhaust, the bike may be running even leaner than it was
before, further reducing performance. It's also possible that whatever
problem the bike has-- it could be getting gradually worse. This one needs
a close going over before it cooks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good advice Dave. The dealer does not seem remotely concerned. They claim the bike is safe at the higher temps. I tried to explain that I am more concerned with the fact that all the other Hyper owners I have either ridden with or have responded with posts have claimed significantly lower temps.

The plugs look good and someone from another forum suggested replacing the thermistor. I took the bike out again and the performance is definitely down since I pulled to catalytic converter. Frankly, I don't think it's the thermistor. When I rode with my friend the other night, you could feel that my bike was a lot hotter than his.

This is frustrating given the relaxed attitude of the dealer. I am starting to question why Ducatis command a premium. Can't say that I have been overly impressed by the dealer service.

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
Jimmimy Crickett!!! ....Try another Dealer ...Has yours got an oil cooler on it? Make sure you KEEP all the Document from the dealer and be specific about what they have done OR not done , like checked out the high running Temp , get it in writing, sounds like they may be setting you up for the burn..example you did this work so warrantee is void ,,,BE CAREFULL ...Sounds like you need a good mechanic,

Post where you are at so maybe someone near you can help you out with some good advice on where and who to see

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Scott. I live in the Bay Area of California. I feel fortunate that I am a couple miles from Nichols Engineering. They do a lot of Ducati work. And I am impressed with their work. I just came back from another test ride. It's a little cool out, probably 65 degrees F and the bike never got over 220. Tomorrow should be a good test if I decide to ride.

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
If I run regular grade gas it runs a little hotter than premium , Getting cold up here and I have trouble getting it up to 100 C ..We would all hate to see a cooked Ducati ...It's all good info here you just got to sift thru it to get what applies to your situation ,,,Don't take it all as gospel , I think that Nichols would likely steer you in the right direction ...Don't be afraid to phone around other Ducati shops and ask some Questions ,don't phone as soon as they are open or at lunch time ,Be patient when seeking free advice, probably just needs to be tweaked ,work with the shop that treats you the best, and support them ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All,

I took the bike back to Nichols. We found that the plug on the thermistor wire was not properly attached which caused the erroneous temperature readings. All seems well. Bike runs 190-240 f max now. I am thrilled and relieved. We also re-ran the bike on the dyno as I thought it felt like it was down on power. As it turns out, the mid pipe added 3 hp above 6500 rpm. Torque was only up a pound.

Thanks to all who responded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts