Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

My 06' back-roads beater

729 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  wineguy 
#1 ·
Hey gang, the wife wanted to do something nice for my birthday and asked me if I preferred a copper Alambic still to experiment with, or a third motorcycle to add to the garage! Feeling like the luckiest guy around and not considering I just acquired a generous life insurance policy for her in the event of my demise...I quickly decided that bikes bring me greater joy (and less hangovers). So I pushed back my dreams of small lot distillation and went hunting for the perfect $2,500 beater bike. The gap between the recently restored 1981 Honda CM400 and my beloved ST3 needed to be filled with something suitable for some of the worst maintaned roads in the country that are more suitable for dirt bikes than street bikes. After test riding some plated street legal dirt bikes I felt that the sections of great roads that connect me to all the crappy roads were less fun on the dirt bikes. After flirting with a few options I picked up a pretty fun bike two weeks ago! 2006 MTS that had the original 620 engine completely rebuilt into a 750, along with a race pipe and striping it down into a very suitable back road carving giggle inducing machine. The builder of this Hyper-Strada went with what I'd refer to as a Zombie apocalypse aesthetic in styling, and I spent a good long afternoon cleaning it up. Front and rear light have been swapped with LED's, no turn signals on the front so I'll need to remedy that soon. There's a few things I'll need to dial in, starting with a new chain and sprockets. The previous owner used it for a commuting bike and swapped the stock 48 tooth rear for a 46. I'll be swapping it back for for a 50, and dropping the 15 tooth front down to a 14. I've always preferred a 'minus one plus one' ratio for my track bikes, and have wanted to fool around with a 'minus one plus two' so here we go
I'll try to get some more pictures posted when I get a sec, and I'll be back to constantly harass you all with questions as I get into fixing whatever pops up along the way.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll play around with a few different combo's. Ran it through gearing commander and decided to give 14-48 a shot to start, swapping sprockets isn't too much of a hassle. I recognize it doesn't make sense for many standard daily rider applications, but neither will be my use of this particular bike. Being that the bike will only see first gear leaving my driveway, and never see 6th gear in a normal day, I'll see what fun can be had with some alterations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.