Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just finished an oil change and found three very small (and by small, I mean 1/2 mm in diameter), non magnetic, metal flakes on my screen. Fingers crossed that I don't have a rocker starting to flake out on me.

I am due for a major service in a couple of months, so I hesitate to do anything at the moment - but I might be a fool :rolleyes:

Two questions for the mechanically savvy:

First, I have a several hundred mile trip planned (leaving tomorrow evening), would it be advisable to cancel it given my findings?

Second, for those of you who've had faulty rockers, did you upgrade your collets and have all of your rockers rechromed?

After a lot of searching, it seems that the answer to the last question is "Yes" for most desmoquattro owners (who've had the faulty rockers), but if possible, personal experiences with the upgrades would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Hi guys,
Second, for those of you who've had faulty rockers, did you upgrade your collets and have all of your rockers rechromed?

After a lot of searching, it seems that the answer to the last question is "Yes" for most desmoquattro owners (who've had the faulty rockers), but if possible, personal experiences with the upgrades would be very helpful.
I found two bad openers on my 03 at the 6K inspection. By bad, I mean they had "gray patch" that I could feel with my thumbnail. Probably could have left them in. I replaced them with two new OEM rockers (when they were going for $45-50 a piece) and have had no further issues. I just completed the 24K maintenance, no flakers.

I did source a complete set of Megacycle rechromed openers a while ago "just in case". They sit, unused, in a ziplock bag at the bottom of my toolbox. I am fairly certain if I did not have these on hand, I would have had more bad rockers! Just the way it goes for me. IF you have a failing rocker, just replace it with a rechromed item. Having one go bad IN NO WAY means you will have any more go bad, so you'd be wasting a bunch of cash to just replace them all for the sake of it IMHO. Never did the collet upgrade. I'm taking it apart every 6K anyway, so I don't really see the gain in my case. Maybe if I was willing to go 10-12K between checks, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi guys,

Just finished an oil change and found three very small (and by small, I mean 1/2 mm in diameter), non magnetic, metal flakes on my screen. Fingers crossed that I don't have a rocker starting to flake out on me.

I am due for a major service in a couple of months, so I hesitate to do anything at the moment - but I might be a fool :rolleyes:

Two questions for the mechanically savvy:

First, I have a several hundred mile trip planned (leaving tomorrow evening), would it be advisable to cancel it given my findings?

Thanks in advance,
Try not to jump to conclusions based off of what was on the oil screen! There can be many sources for the pieces that you had seen (that is the purpose of the screen). We have been programed to be paranoid about these rockers, it may be rocker flakes or they could be something else. I had found myself with the same conclusions when I had found non-magnetic flakes on my oil screen at 10,000km.. I made a post and Mike Mullen replied much the same as I am now. I am now up to 63,000km. and have yet to see a flaked rocker. Service your bike when it is due (no later) and ride it when you can! It is obvious that neglect can cause problems and we are often showed flaked rockers, but how often do you see a damaged cam?
As a side note, at 40,000km. I had decided to have Guy Martin due his port work on my heads (stage 1, with the stock valves), I was prepared to swap out the original rockers for his upgraded rockers. When he assembled the heads he reused each one of the original rockers, stating that unless I change my habits, I will likely never flake a rocker!

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good tips

Thanks, SS, for the reality check. I guess that I am prone to worry! As you noted, I would rather not cough up the cash to replace all of the rockers, especially if only one (or hopefully none) are bad.

Best,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Try not to jump to conclusions based off of what was on the oil screen! There can be many sources for the pieces that you had seen (that is the purpose of the screen).
Thanks, Jerry, your are right, I've kept up the maintenance schedule and everything has been in order. At my last valve check, everything was smack in the middle of spec-range. So, fingers crossed that nothing is amiss. I've got my 24,000 mile service coming up soon, so a complete tear-down will be in order.

I am learning to work on the the motor myself, and I've been lucky in that I found a local mechanic (an FAA engine inspector by day) who will allow me to work with him.

Usually, I am quite a positive guy, but when I found the flakes (only three very, very small ones) I really did jump to one of the worst conclusions!

Whatever ends up happening, this is the best, and my most favorite, mode of transport that I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

Best,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts