1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost done with the conversion.

Slipper clutch installed
Kickstand bypass switch installed
Headlight assembly (10lbs) replaced by Yoyodyne bracket (1lb)
Bodywork painted with rattle cans
Bridgestone 003s purchased and waiting to be installed

I'm very excited to finally have a dedicated track bike. Now I just need to get better at riding it. :eek: :D Seriously, I'm freakin' molasses. :(

Anyway, here're a few photos of The Rack up on stands in the garage. I know the color scheme is kinda goofy, but I'm a HUGE fan of Mark Donohue, Roger Penske and the SUNOCO liveried cars they campaigned in the 60s and 70s. Penske once said that even if you lose on raceday, it's equally important to LOOK like a winner in the pits. I think I did that part right...

Oh, and my Brutale is sleeping over tonight but goes back to off-site storage tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great Idea man!
Thinking about turning my GF's 848 into track bike too! She doesn't ride it anymore since I got her a hypermotard. We've sent the 848 to the dealer but no movement on it, so I might have to take it back and convert it, it could be my only excuse to work less. :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Nice rattle can paint job. Can't tell it wasn't done with a compressor (atleast on the pictures).
I used rattle cans on my track bodywork aswell, however I just painted it plain red to keep things simple :)

You might want to put atleast some kind of clutch cover on there to protect it in case you drop it.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice rattle can paint job. Can't tell it wasn't done with a compressor (atleast on the pictures).
I used rattle cans on my track bodywork aswell, however I just painted it plain red to keep things simple :)

You might want to put atleast some kind of clutch cover on there to protect it in case you drop it.
The paint is definitely rattle can in person, but it came out decent - no orange peel.

The clutch cover is on the workbench ... I was test-fitting the belly pan and haven't put it back on yet. There're underbody sliders on there, too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I did this with my R1, I didn't have another bike to ride on the street. I loved racing, but I really liked going out on rides too. So I bought the Duc. :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
Nice. Where did you get the kickstand bypass switch from? Did u just use a jumper wire or is there an actual bypass switch?

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Where did you get the kickstand bypass switch from? Did u just use a jumper wire or is there an actual bypass switch?
I scabbed a plug off another harness (ST4, I believe), ditched the middle plug wire (it's a 3 wire plug and 2 wire chassis harness), soldered the other to wires together and ... TA DA!! ... factory-clean bypass switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts