Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an item of interest to all who ride Italian bikes, H-D announced that it is selling MV Agusta, after just over 1 year of ownership, and a grand total of 1 new model introduction (the new Brutale 1090RR).
Tough news for the workers at the MV Agusta factory. That must really suck.

Also announced, Buell will cease to exist. Link to a video of a very sad Eric Buell is included in the article. Tough times, indeed.:(

Link to article

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
More corporate ineptitude. Reminds me of the Ford idiots that purchased Volvo for 6.5 Billion and now cannot sell it for 3.5 billion. Did these people really go to school?? .... its capitalism at its worst.
Lets hope someone picks up MV and keeps it going.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
A shame as the MVs are some of the best built euro bikes out there in terms of quality components, fit and finish, at least my brutale was.

It does make MV more sellable as HD absorbed and cleared the debt on the books before the purchase. I suspect a chinese company will buy it, much like the benelli situation.

Chris

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
isn't this subject already in the chit chat forum?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much. I don't spend much time there.

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
And Buell proved to the world that with some careful manipulations of the rules, a little back room deal making,
and some out-right cheating, their liter class (non-HD powered) bike could beat the best 600's the world could offer...
Fuck-off DMG!

I feel for the employees but the motorcycling world will not suffer for the loss of Buell.

I hope MV makes it out alive!

·
Registered
48 Posts
And Buell proved to the world that with some careful manipulations of the rules, a little back room deal making,
and some out-right cheating, their liter class (non-HD powered) bike could beat the best 600's the world could offer...
Fuck-off DMG!

I feel for the employees but the motorcycling world will not suffer for the loss of Buell.

Wow, no love for the "American Sportbike"? This news sort of saddens me. How can you not give the guy (Erik Buell) credit for aggressively pursuing his passion for motorcyles and racing. He is a fellow enthusiast and "one of us." Do you fault Ducati for winning in the 90's with their "liter bikes" against the worlds best 750s? I don't. Yes...you touched a nerve, because I still dig my Buell...just like Ducatis, there is a certain thing about them that sets them apart from that vanilla Jap stuff...more of a soul if you know what I mean. Since when is racing not about exploiting the rules and in fact "cheating"?

So now my Pontiac and my Buell are collector's items. Maybe I should buy an MV as well.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
I would hate to see MV go down the toilet, what a beautiful package, high end indeed and admired by the majority of enthusiasts. Once the dust settles they will have to lower the boom on their prices, just as Ducati did and now BMW and Aprilia are doing. There is no way they can expect to recruit new customers with two new kids on the block with two new outstanding and powerful packages to offer. All of a sudden they are now up against a weak economy, on the block against triple the competition. Look at the new BMW 193HP 1000RR, $13.8 or $15.3 for one with ABS and TC. Or the Aprilia RSV4F, a 180HP gem coming in around $15K. I never thought I would be doing this, but the new bikes have even peaked my interest, especially the RSV4F Aprilia.

I predict the MV Agusta will be reborn with much lower MSRPs. If that happens it will be a real dog fight between them, BMW, Aprilia and Ducati.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Not really entirely fair, cheating and stretching the rules in motorsports of all types has gone on since the beginning of time.

Tho no fan of the Buells, especially the looks of the new one, Eric Buell did have some very innovative concepts in his production bikes, unfortunately Buell in the formative years was saddled with the harley motor, and poor build and component quality, in the last few years, with the rotax motor, things were looking a bit better and I actually liked the rotax equipped bike they debuted three years ago or so.

Well, I think Benelli will vanish before long. I'd like to see MV stay around, the fact that they won't be sold with a whole bunch of red ink will help prospective buyers perhaps.

Chris

Fuck-off DMG!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Well i for one am glad i got rid of the Brutale

Wont be worth a knob of goat shit now...

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
Bullshit! DMG's thinly veiled attempt to attract the undereducated nascar crowd to US motorcycle racing by "legislating"
a winning US manufacturer does nothing but disrespect the racing community and undermine any integrity that motor racing
may have as a legitimate undertaking.

DMG is nothing but a crooked carnival and Buell stooped to the lowest point possible as a sleazy accomplice.
I have no respect for either of them and will not mourn the lose of the manufacturer and will never consider
an AMA race as a legitimate sport as long as it's owned and run by DMG.

AMA race fans have been lowered to the level of dipshit wrestling fan. :mad:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
DMG and Buell are two entirely unrrelated entities. Cheating and rule writing to favor a manufacture is one of the multitude of issues EVERYONE has with DMG's running of former ama racing. So get in line on DMG hating.

What I will mourn is the loss of yet more manufacturing jobs in the US.

Racing is sport, entertainment, nothing more.

Chris

Bullshit! DMG's thinly veiled attempt to attract the undereducated nascar crowd to US motorcycle racing by "legislating"
a winning US manufacturer does nothing but disrespect the racing community and undermine any integrity that motor racing
may have as a legitimate undertaking.

DMG is nothing but a crooked carnival and Buell stooped to the lowest point possible as a sleazy accomplice.
I have no respect for either of them and will not mourn the lose of the manufacturer and will never consider
an AMA race as a legitimate sport as long as it's owned and run by DMG.

AMA race fans have been lowered to the level of dipshit wrestling fan. :mad:

·
Registered
228 Posts
You have to admire those Castiglioni brothers, they will probably end up buying it back for a Euro, again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well i for one am glad i got rid of the Brutale

Wont be worth a knob of goat shit now...
Hey man, Im interested in this one as I posted earlier debating the SF against a Brutale, which I still have yet to pull the trigger on. This weekend I'm hitting the streets again on demos,but whats up w/ you and the Brut? This may change my opinion as HD is looking to offload, but rumour has it BMW is a buyer...

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
DMG and Buell are two entirely unrrelated entities.
I didn't debate that but both are equal scum in what has happened in racing this year.
AMA racing is no longer a sport but merely a live reality show.
Sorry if you are a Buell fan but they chose to race an 1125 in the 600 class. Nobody likes an overdog.

What I will mourn is the loss of yet more manufacturing jobs in the US.
As I stated earlier, I agree with you on this point.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Guess I don't see how you can blame a race team for trying to get rules to benefit them, it's the sanctioning orgs. duty not to allow it.DMG apparently did allow it. Ducati did the same thing under ama years ago to get try to get the 748 allowed to be run in formula extreme(I think that was the particular series or perhaps supersport), but AMA wouldn't let them do it. And in more recent times ducati lobbying to get the 1198 allowed in superbike, no difference.
Chris

I didn't debate that but both are equal scum in what has happened in racing this year.
AMA racing is no longer a sport but merely a live reality show.
Sorry if you are a Buell fan but they chose to race an 1125 in the 600 class. Nobody likes an overdog.

As I stated earlier, I agree with you on this point.

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
Chris, are you freakin kidding me?

There's a big difference between a 750 and an 1125 running in the 600 class.

The Buell should have been eligible to run in the liter class along with the duc, not with the 600s.
Pulease!:mad: Be real.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts