Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my story;
in the beginning i couldn't decide what to buy between the MV or the duc . i love both bikes . then i came to relies what i really like about the MV was the tail section and the muffler Systems together . i got my self a 2002 yellow 998 . then i got my self a second set of fairing ..( RED ) , then i came across a MV agusta tail section made by Casoli to fit the duc .. now dose anybody knows if the muffler Systems from mv well it fit the duc ?? please advice i love the ducati but i like the mv end ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
I seriously doubt it will come close at all. I would take the Duc exhaust and go from there on making it custom. Use the MV mufflers or something. How does the MV muffler exit?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
i can't see why you couldn't make it work, get a couple of mv mufflers and find a decent bike exhaust shop, they should be able to cut & shut pretty easy. or even better shoot off some emails to aftermarket muffler manufacturers they may be able to make exactly what you want if they have the jigs for the 998 & mv.

keep us posted sounds like an interesting project

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Holy crap that looks good...that is the one thing I have always disliked about that series bike. That changes everything for me.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Call me a purist, but I wouldn't bastardize the classic styling of that bike with that of the MV tail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
purist, bastardize ??

hi boostedt0y........ i don't see anything purist about the 749 you have .. ducati made history with the 916 996 998 748 from 1994 - 2002 with there style . but 2003 model was no purist no style .... then they came with 1098 and that is a style ... do you know why? because it resembles the old ducati( 1994-2002) .......... now look at the tail from my duc/mv and look at the 1098 tail ..... now do you see where the purist come .. not bastaridz ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Call me a purist, but I wouldn't bastardize the classic styling of that bike with that of the MV tail.
I don't think it is bastardizing the bike, just falls along the lines of custom modification. I think there have been quite a few people that have not liked the tail on the 94-02 bikes, and this gives a possible solution. There have been different tails available for the XX9 series (longer, vented, etc), but I don't think that kills the bike in any way. I do think the tail looks very similar to the 1098 tail, and considering that those 2 models share the same styling lines, it is not far off for this tail to be on this bike and look appropriate. My thoughts...

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
hi boostedt0y........ i don't see anything purist about the 749 you have .. ducati made history with the 916 996 998 748 from 1994 - 2002 with there style . but 2003 model was no purist no style .... then they came with 1098 and that is a style ... do you know why? because it resembles the old ducati( 1994-2002) .......... now look at the tail from my duc/mv and look at the 1098 tail ..... now do you see where the purist come .. not bastaridz ....
Sorry, but don't get too offended by the comment. It's my opinion and I am entitled to one. I applaud the effort for trying something different, but to me I wouldn't touch the styling of that era bike to deviate from the original especially from another marque. I see it as similar to people who try to mix and match different headlamps from different brand cars. Like if you took the headlamps from the new camaro Chevrolet is producing and tried to stick it on onto a first generation Pontiac Firebird.

As for your comment about the 749, I never made any comment about the styling of the 749 compared to the Tamburini bikes so your comment is unjustified. I am one to admit that the xx9 style bikes aren't in line with the classic Ducati style and it is either a love it or hate it look whereas the the styling of Tamburini bikes are loved by all. As you can see from my sig I had a 748 so I can appreciate the lines of the Tamburini styled machines. Hence why I would have opt to leave the original tail on there. Once again just my opinion. It is your bike and you are entitled to do whatever you want to it, but if you are going to make a post people will give their opinions regardless if they are in line with your own.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It'd be cool if you split it, widened it a bit at the end, and added some customised LED lighting on it...like signals in a strip down the side and some tail lamp integration-just played around with it. Save the old tail though. If I had to live with one or the other as is, I'd stick with the Duc tail. Projects are always fun though. Should you give up, hock that rear on ebay and get a fancy LED tail light with the turns integrated in... I pine after those. ;)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I tried monkeying around with an MV exhaust system to get it to work on my Duc with the MV tail so I could have the whole tail end from the MV. The problem is even a used MV stock exhaust system just for the muffler part is quite expensive and it would have to be hacked up/modified. I would have followed through but in the end to me personally it wasn't worth the time or money when the stock ducati tail with dual exhaust looks freaken sexy. The MV section on the bike, once I painted and installed mine just didn't quite look right. It kinda hovers above the exhaust instead of wrapping around it a little like the stock ducati one does.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
I hope that pile of bicycles doesn't fall into your Duc...;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
oh dear somebody else who cant stop spanking over the 916 shape :sleep:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not really diggin it. Looks sorta cartoonish. Maybe if the rest of the bike was the same color that'd do it for me.
Like mine? I have 748, with Agusta style tail and whole bike painted to pearl white (Cadillac diamond white).
I was thinking for a long time should I mess with the original design... but there's so many 748 bipos out there I decided to go ahead.
If I had some special (R, RS, SPS) version that I would keep more original.

And I don't like the MV exhaust, double Termi's look better IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that, if you like it....you like it. I happen to think the 916 series in form and function is (as one of the Brit bike mags said) "a perfect motorcyling moment frozen in time." That being said, the only design I ever thought was a perfect evolution of the 916 is Tamburini's MV. As for the 999 series, once the less busy fairing of the '05 became a part of the package I started liking it better. Especially in black with the white mono tail. I'd own one in a heartbeat if I didn't already own my '02 Bayliss 998S.

·
Registered
495 Posts
TJONA can you take more pics of the entire bike from the both sides and from a behind the bike, at a farther distance so that I can see the entire bike. Additionally can you send me the link to where you got the Casoli tail?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like mine? I have 748, with Agusta style tail and whole bike painted to pearl white (Cadillac diamond white).
I was thinking for a long time should I mess with the original design... but there's so many 748 bipos out there I decided to go ahead.
If I had some special (R, RS, SPS) version that I would keep more original.

And I don't like the MV exhaust, double Termi's look better IMHO.
Yeah, um sorry to the detractors out there, put Pete's bike is looking right on! Nicely done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts