Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading my F4 for a 1098(s). My justification for this would be that I miss being on a V twin coming off of 3 aprilias and a 998. The sound of the dry slipper clutch is nice as well. Yet at the same time the MV is such a gorgeous machine that has just as much soul as the Ducati. Is super fast and turns heads everywhere it goes.

I just wanted input from forum members on here. What would you guys do? Here is a pic of my MV.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Both beautiful bikes and I've ridden both - my opinion is absolutley go for it!

The 1098 is way lighter, stronger engine and has leaps better brakes. Get used to the brakes before hammering them though, good luck in your decision!!

·
9,757 Posts
Newer is always better (read lighter, more powerful, more reliable, etc). I really love the F4, but I wouldn't trade my 1098s for one. Plus, Ducatis have racing pedigree.

I would love to own an F4, alongside my 1098s ;) No I4 would be able to really replace that lusty v-twin powerhouse.

ps, there's no slipper in the 1098s, only the R

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't think I would ever try to talk someone into trading an F4 for anything. That's one beautiful bike and I'll bet it rides as good as it looks. I just got the 1098 though and I love the twins. It is a wonderful bike. Tough decision. I guess I'm no help a all; except I'm not about to trade in my 1098 for an F4 or anything else.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Newer is always better (read lighter, more powerful, more reliable, etc). I really love the F4, but I wouldn't trade my 1098s for one. Plus, Ducatis have racing pedigree.

I would love to own an F4, alongside my 1098s ;) No I4 would be able to really replace that lusty v-twin powerhouse.

ps, there's no slipper in the 1098s, only the R
No racing pedigree? Maybe not the F4 but MV's had a pretty good run in the hands of Ago

Poor bugger what a decision to have to make, kinda like having to choose between Megan Fox and Jessica Alba :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
F4 is a classic. I would keep it if you are not a hardcore racer. The MV is plenty fast, and if you are not on a track, I don't think the trade is justified.
I have a 1198S, and I love it. My next bike is an MV - not for speed or racing, but for the beauty of it alone. I see Ducs everywhere. I've only seen a handful of MVs on the street.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you can afford to have both, keep it and buy a 1098:D

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I haven't ridden the F4 either but I will say I love my 1198S. You wouldn't be doing yourself an injustice by going the way of the 1098S. In the perfect world you take both Megan Fox AND Jessica Alba!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rode an older F-4 today...

Thought it was beautiful..... 'But anemic! Understand the new bikes are better... just have not ridden one and so that is my thought.. Felt like my old ZX-7 in terms of outright power.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You all strike a good point. It is basically going to be street ridden. I guess it just boils down to what I'm lusting after. You always want what you don't have right? Unfortunately I am not fortunate enough to be able to justify 2 motorcycles since I have 3 cars along with the bike.

Plus I'm not all about whats faster and newer and more modern. It's more of that V Twin grunt at this point I think. Yes the MV is gorgeous but low end torque is addicting. Not saying the F4 1000 isn't plenty fast for me. God it's a pain being a libra sometimes...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Then just sell one of the cars, lol. :) Think about it, you could then own an Italian v-twin superbike and an Italian i4 sport bike. And that sounds pretty good to me. :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Such a classy problem ,you must own both, 3 cars cant be justified.The mv is definitely a collector's item it will appreciate in value you need that investment seriously i don't know how many they made if you could swing them both that's the way to go.Ive contemplated the same deal but i cant imagine not owning a ducati i was even telling my wife that i should sell my car to get a mv ,that we only need one car.My problem is that i live in Washington state and i don't think the mv handles in snow.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Before I bought my 998S, the same shop had a MV 750 F4. Although I loved the Ducati, I drooled all over the MV.....My God what a beauty.

Then they let me ride both, back to back, and after that the decision was sooo easy. I went for the Duc cause the sound, the pull, the engine, it all was so much different then the MV.
Not the shear power, but the package in which it is delivered.

I guess it is all about the GRIN-factor. The bigger the grin on your face after riding the more satisfying the bike is.

Still, if I ever stumble on an other sweet MV, I will buy it immediately.
That bike is just the most gorgeous bike ever built, and a keeper forever.
Good luck with your choice, I guess at the end you will keep it :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I'm probably going to catch heck for this, but I was going to buy an F4 for a second bike, was even the top bidder on Ebay a couple times....but had a change of heart and ended up buying another old sports car instead (280ZX turbo).:eek: The reasoning being was, first the car is alot cheaper to maintain and insure (& safer) and I'm in Illinois so we have a pretty short riding season to justify having two bikes. I also, now have three cars (& a truck).

Oh well....still might get a F4 in the future....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Give the F4 to me!!!

Seriously though, if you are street riding you are already on too much bike :p But I'd keep the F4 simply because it is better looking and more unique looking than the jap1098.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seriously though, if you are street riding you are already on too much bike.

it is better looking and more unique looking than the jap1098.
For one, under that presumption, any bike would be too much for the street as you put it, especially under strict and enforced speed limits. Then a Porsche or Ferrari would also be too much for the street, tell it to their owners. He has an F4 because he can!

Second, where does the 1098 look japanese. It shares nothing to a japanese, NOTHING! It has one of the best styling of superbikes today and zero mechanical design to a japanese :think:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts