Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dunno about numbers, but there do seem to be a lot more enduro owners on the forum than I would have expected.

Just seems like such a big and expensive bike to risk taking for serious off-roading? I did watch a Lamb Chops Rides video where a friend of his took a multi enduro down some incredibly muddy trails and seemed to do okay, other than when he dumped it in the mud, lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the V4 version of the 'ENDURO' will be in name only...no wire wheels, less travel, etc...but it will keep the larger tank..

They are going after more a 'Maxi-tourier' than a regular MTS that will be out of fuel in 100 miles.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,023 Posts
I think the V4 version of the 'ENDURO' will be in name only...no wire wheels, less travel, etc...but it will keep the larger tank..

They are going after more a 'Maxi-tourier' than a regular MTS that will be out of fuel in 100 miles.
I agree.
An Enduro V4 would be completely absurd IMHO

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe the Enduro like the GS Adventure while off road capable are used primarily for long distance touring. They are fine for unpaved roads but too big for serious off road work.
I work in a bike shop and have ridden both the BMW R and XR. They are both nice but neither impress me the way a Multi does.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
The Enduro and GSA are halo bikes... only a tiny fraction of them will ever see more than a short dirt road followed by a ride home and thorough clean. As such... the V4 makes as much sense on the enduro as on the base multi. IMO it's not well matched to ADV riding but appeal is IMO MORE important than suitability to task when it comes to halo models, and the V4 is the Duc powerplant du jour.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just cant wait to see the price.. Where did I see that Ducati said the V4 platform will carry a premium with it no matter what bike it goes in? hmmm.... I would guess... 21-23k for the base V4 Multi, no bags etc.

EDIT: Changed price guesstimate

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Doesn't a 190HP V4 make the most sense only as a sport tourer in this segment? The Multi has always really been best for that sort of work since inception. It makes less sense than ever for ADV use with a V4 and the Multi never made much sense as a dedicated ADV in any case. Some like the Enduro versions and have made a point of using them like a KTM or a GS but they aren't as tough or as good at it except on pavement, where they are usually the most satisfying. Not saying the big KTMs or BMWs don't bring their own issues to the format by dint of their size and weight.

I'll believe they lowered the weight when we see it but if they did make that a priority, they get a big thumbs up. This would return the bike to its main, most attractive and most distinguished feature (and the original difference between the Multi and the GS et al.) ......excellence through lightness. Hopefully they will fix things like the funky brake (second vote for that on the thread), the unreliable heated grips (mine failed again today), and the rest of the routine niggles.These always get in the way and make me wonder why owning one of these is so important to me.

And now for controversy from a recent notion. As long as they're doing all this they could lose desmo actuation in the name of simplified routine service. Is there any real technical reason to retain it at the revs these motors are expected to turn? Would we complain the valve services were too cheap or that they weren't challenging enough to make it interesting to do at home? Of course some people will miss the desmo feature for similar reasons they miss dry clutches. They actually like what a pound of nails in a garbage disposal sounds like, or they like the idea of desmo and the theoretically perfectly resolved valve actuation. This makes them hot. The valves, I mean.

Ducati certainly have all our attention though and there's no denying it's a very interesting development.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
a Multi v4 is really even MORE of a tall supernaked than the current twin... that's OK but I would wonder (just like I do for the XR)... why not just get the supernaked? Now the Multi V4 may not have the touring downsides the XR does so that would be one good answer (a hypernaked that tours like a boss)... and of course for big guys it'll be a lot more comfortable but it will be a closer compare to the Streetfighter than the current Multi and might share some common demographic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a V4 Streetfighter already in the line upI would think Ducati would go more towards sport touring/adv touring with a V4 Multi. My opinion is the original Multi is what the new sport touring bikes are becoming. Not dedicated AdvT bikes but lighter more upright and comfortable sport touring bikes. A “many roads” but not off road V4 Multi would be a winner and I’d make room for it in my garage.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,023 Posts
a Multi v4 is really even MORE of a tall supernaked than the current twin... that's OK but I would wonder (just like I do for the XR)... why not just get the supernaked? Now the Multi V4 may not have the touring downsides the XR does so that would be one good answer (a hypernaked that tours like a boss)... and of course for big guys it'll be a lot more comfortable but it will be a closer compare to the Streetfighter than the current Multi and might share some common demographic.
IMHO, the new V4 SF is the kind of bike you buy to become amazed or to show off. But it has little practical use.

Can you imagine squeezing the most out of 208hp engine in the street?
And if you go past 3rd gear, imagine how would you feel at those speeds without a fairing.

To me, the V4 engine is perfect for the track oriented Pani. It will be a handful on the Multi, but at least that bike has wind protection. On a naked bike? No thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can't speak for a Ducati V4 SF, but my S1000R wasn't that bad for wind buffeting until you got to stupid speeds (140+ mph). I added a $15 amazon windshield and if you went into a semi-tucked position I wouldn't say it was much worse than my R1 was at similar speeds.

IMO supernakeds are more "practical" than a pure superbike because while you can still do a track day on them (unless you've got a dedicated track bike, they are likely fast enough for you) you can still ride it on the streets without needing to go 150 mph everywhere.

Plenty of guys on the S1000R forums do trackdays regularly on their R's and are quite competitive for laptimes, I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
So I agree with egomexico to an extent... I suspect (because I've not ridden one yet) that the 200+hp hypers are a lot about scaring the shit out of you every once in a while and the rest of the time loafing around at 130hp or less actually used. On the street if you're actually up in the power you're either on a high limit expressway or you're speeding your ass off... and that's in first gear, in second there's probably no place in the US where you can legally be in the powerband. So yea... practical they are probably not.

A more reasonable hyper is the Superduke R... put the torque in the midrange where you can actually use it on the street... so it's really the practical hypernaked choice... but it's so damned UGLY. ;-)

·
Registered
823 Posts
A more reasonable hyper is the Superduke R... put the torque in the midrange where you can actually use it on the street... so it's really the practical hypernaked choice... but it's so damned UGLY. ;-)
I don't mind the Superduke R to a certain extent but much prefer my Monster 1200R.
It pulled 140HP on the dyno which is more than I can use on the street.
I'll pass on the SFV4 and my Multi is everything I wanted in a sport tourer and all rounder.

20180812_174616.jpg

20190521_084922.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lol the super duke isn't even a hyper naked, IMO... it's a hyper motard :p

(after I posted this I remembered Ducati makes a bike called the hyper motard, but I stand by my assessment ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
What you need on the street is not the issue, it’s what do you want to ride. I like my Multis (13&19). Do everything I want in a comfortable fashion. I’ve had sportbikes and nakeds enjoyed both but the Multis have the performance and the practicality I want.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Lol the super duke isn't even a hyper naked, IMO... it's a hyper motard :p

(after I posted this I remembered Ducati makes a bike called the hyper motard, but I stand by my assessment ;)
It's a weird bike... it IS more motard than naked but I don't see anyone riding them like motards, they're ridden more like nakeds... I dunno - it's a genre-bender.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What's the difference between riding like motard and riding like naked? Do you go around corners differently, or accelerate differently? How would one know if they're riding their bike properly?
Would motard mean you're sticking your foot out as you go into a corner? Or would naked mean you're just being a hooligan in general?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not too sure about riding like motard but riding like naked is not very safe.
I like wearing protective gear but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
What's the difference between riding like motard and riding like naked? Do you go around corners differently, or accelerate differently? How would one know if they're riding their bike properly?
Would motard mean you're sticking your foot out as you go into a corner? Or would naked mean you're just being a hooligan in general?
Might just be a stereotype but this is how I think of sumo's: Sumo canyon run

This is how I think of Naked's: S1000R canyon run

141 - 160 of 164 Posts