Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
IMHO, competition is driving Ducati's decision of releasing a V4 Multistrada.
To some the cheaper BMW's S1000XR was a better bike than the 1200 (before the 1260 came out) in terms of rideability:

So why not put the V4 engine on the Multi and stop reviewers compare it to any BMW model.
The only problem remaining is the pricetag. Even I would be buying the S1000XR if I wanted a four cylinder adv-tourer.
Those early reviews were when the 15 still had the midrange torque hole... but even after it was fixed the XR has a stronger motor (than the 1200), so if you were looking for a tall supernaked/weekend warrior the XR was the (IMO) clear winner (and still is a great bike). However because of the nature of the motor it was not as suitable for touring duty so the Multi was (even then) the better ADV bike for guys who wanted long mile capability AND performance (performed nearly as good as the XR, toured nearly as good as the GS). My understanding is that the 2020 may have solved the numb hands problem so choice between the two is more of a 'motor/vendor fan' type debate.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Having come to the Multi from an S1000R, I can say that the BMW has some issues as well. As Ducman stated, my loaded 2017 S1000R was almost 20k CAD, from a 15k MSRP.
If I had bought an XR back in 2017, I likely wouldn't have my multi now, my R was an awesome bike, I just needed a bit more leg room, etc. The XR is the sportiest ADV, IMO.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Those early reviews were when the 15 still had the midrange torque hole... but even after it was fixed the XR has a stronger motor (than the 1200), so if you were looking for a tall supernaked/weekend warrior the XR was the (IMO) clear winner (and still is a great bike). However because of the nature of the motor it was not as suitable for touring duty so the Multi was (even then) the better ADV bike for guys who wanted long mile capability AND performance (performed nearly as good as the XR, toured nearly as good as the GS). My understanding is that the 2020 may have solved the numb hands problem so choice between the two is more of a 'motor/vendor fan' type debate.
Also in comparison after comparison the BMW always came out ahead in performance numbers, and all the testers conclusions were they'd still rather ride the Multi. I know 3 people who bought BMW1000xr, all traded in for flat twins or v twins after a season

·
Registered
107 Posts
You mean the shiftcam that it doesn't need because it doesn't rev to 15k?
You must be referring to the same shift Cam technology that's used very effectively in the R1250 that only Revs to 8000 rpm, is this the same technology you are referring to ????

·
Registered
175 Posts
You must be referring to the same shift Cam technology that's used very effectively in the R1250 that only Revs to 8000 rpm, is this the same technology you are referring to ????
hard to determine what he's talking about. What does shift-cam have to do with 15k rpm? :unsure:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, and a boxer twin and an inline 4 have exactly the same power curves....

·
Registered
178 Posts
hard to determine what he's talking about. What does shift-cam have to do with 15k rpm? :unsure:

According to Max Reuko, product manager for the S1000XR, the shift cam motor that we all expected to come from the new S1000RR was unnecessary in the new XR. In the RR, it’s designed to deliver performance at high revs while also giving the low-to-mid-range punch that the XR has. But as the XR spends less time above 9,000rpm, there was said to be no need to use it. In his words, “shift-cam would have been a shift-scam” in the new S1000XR.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
When I heard the no shiftcam explanation it sounded like “we chose not to do it for some other reason but this is what we gonna tell everyone”. Cost, design issues, or not performing too close to the s1000r, who knows.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Having owned an 2017 S1000R for a couple years (and to the best of my knowledge, the XR and R had the same engine) the engine was tuned for mid-range torque as opposed to top end power, like the RR was, as such it wouldn't benefit from VVT as much.

You guys can continue to spread your conspiracy theories, of course.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Having owned an 2017 S1000R for a couple years (and to the best of my knowledge, the XR and R had the same engine) the engine was tuned for mid-range torque as opposed to top end power, like the RR was, as such it wouldn't benefit from VVT as much.
That sounds pretty conspiratorial

Oops, damn, it was us after all

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts

would be more plausible if the clearly tuned for midrange boxer didn't have vvt. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I heard the no shiftcam explanation it sounded like “we chose not to do it for some other reason but this is what we gonna tell everyone”. Cost, design issues, or not performing too close to the s1000r, who knows.
I agree entirely, my guess they just were not prepared to spend the additional cost in developing another pair of cams for a milder spec version of the same engine.
I thought the excuse given was laughable considering they had already used the same technology in the much lower revving a R1250
My guess is in years to come (like when the V4 multistrada comes out) they will implement this technology in the XR, but from on marketing perspective they considered it not necessary at this point in time.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many of you experts have ridden an R or XR?
XR ... and if you've ridden an R for years that makes you even less an XR expert than me (your multi experience makes you more an expert on the XR than your R experience does). It doesn't take an expert to hear the BMW marketing speak and smell spin given their lineup and their move to shiftcam for other adv/touring bikes. (hell... shiftcam STARTED on midrange focused models, now it's not needed there? That's just silly).

·
Registered
178 Posts
The engines are the same (or were, even though they didn't add shiftcam to the XR for 2020, they did change the engine for Euro5) so I'd say that makes me able to comment on the engine characteristics.

Anyway... let's talk about the V4 multi... does anyone think putting it in the Enduro is an even worse idea than putting it in the more street oriented bikes?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
People here didn’t go for the Enduro I could have got a NOS one for $15k CDN, but hey with a different motor who knows, maybe sell a couple more. Yamaha has the right idea with the 700 being what I hoped the 950 would have been.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anyway... let's talk about the V4 multi... does anyone think putting it in the Enduro is an even worse idea than putting it in the more street oriented bikes?
Yeaahhh I don't think its a great idea. Imean how many Enduros do they sell now? Not many. not sure that would do anything to help its sales. I think "ADV" Bikes in the mid range are becoming the popular move. (Tiger 800/900, KTM 790 Adventure, Tenere, etc.)

I think that, specifically in that area, weight is a bigger selling factor than power, which means even a 950 Enduro wouldn't do well. because it WEIGHS THE SAME. (WTF Ducati)

121 - 140 of 164 Posts