Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
It's sad to me but I agree that they seem to be indicating a shift away from twins for their high end bikes. It remains to be seen where they'll put the power/torque balance on the SF and Multi (presumably a balance for the SF and a torque build for the Multi). I'll be surprised if even the V4 Multi isn't at least 170hp tho. (which should allow them to deliver a very feisty midrange because by all reports the Pani V4 has a strong midrange).
I knew we'd get over this minor disagreement eventually! Respect!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Starting on a V4 Honda ST1300 and then moving to a V4 BMW K1300 GT, I've been riding V4s for the past 15 years. I looked down on those who rode V Twins and swore I would never consider such a crude, buzzy, vibrating machine.

My buddies who used to ride V4 Honda ST 1300s with me later graduated to the BMW GS or GSAs. They talked about how the Honda V4 lacked "soul" and raved about the feel of BMW's twin.

I opted for a MTS DVT because of lower weight and better ergo fit. But having come from V4 engines, I now love the feel of Ducati's L Twin motor and wouldn't consider going back to the too-smooth, boring, V4 motors I rode before.

BTW, all three bikes were pretty comparable in terms of HP and Torque but the MTS is by far the most refined bike and most fun to ride (IMHO).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Starting on a V4 Honda ST1300 and then moving to a V4 BMW K1300 GT, I've been riding V4s for the past 15 years. I looked down on those who rode V Twins and swore I would never consider such a crude, buzzy, vibrating machine.

My buddies who used to ride V4 Honda ST 1300s with me later graduated to the BMW GS or GSAs. They talked about how the Honda V4 lacked "soul" and raved about the feel of BMW's twin.

I opted for a MTS DVT because of lower weight and better ergo fit. But having come from V4 engines, I now love the feel of Ducati's L Twin motor and wouldn't consider going back to the too-smooth, boring, V4 motors I rode before.

BTW, all three bikes were pretty comparable in terms of HP and Torque but the MTS is by far the most refined bike and most fun to ride (IMHO).
Your K1300GT must have been a really special edition:wink2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very special BMW that one, they have realised how good at touring the RC213V and the Desmosedici GP are, strangely enough both V4s as well.
IT could be a good way to develop more of the BMW touring range, at the pinnacle of road racing.
BMW have a long history of making V4's its part of there DNA.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Bit of a sideways comment on Power Delivery -

Went on a rowdy ride with a couple guys from work (k1600gt and R1200GT) over the weekend. The K1600 looked like it accelerated almost perfectly linear. I could see why folks would like that - he was non-dramatically hauling ass during a couple expressway segments and the only time I could reel him in on the onramps was at WOT and in the power (so... fighting to keep the front wheel down or at least not up too much. A lot more 'rider engagement' was required on the multi... he looked like he was just out for a leisurely cruise. :)

The R1200GT was legit fast in the twisties... (and the guy was definitely more experienced than me). Obeying PA rural speed limits was... difficult. Using best practice and accelerating through corners risked expensive ticket exit speeds (not difficult when the limits are 40 and 45mph in many of the fun segments). Love PA roads... hate their nanny state speed limits on roads with no traffic and no homes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bit of a sideways comment on Power Delivery -

Went on a rowdy ride with a couple guys from work (k1600gt and R1200GT) over the weekend. The K1600 looked like it accelerated almost perfectly linear. I could see why folks would like that - he was non-dramatically hauling ass during a couple expressway segments and the only time I could reel him in on the onramps was at WOT and in the power (so... fighting to keep the front wheel down or at least not up too much. A lot more 'rider engagement' was required on the multi... he looked like he was just out for a leisurely cruise. :)

The R1200GT was legit fast in the twisties... (and the guy was definitely more experienced than me). Obeying PA rural speed limits was... difficult. Using best practice and accelerating through corners risked expensive ticket exit speeds (not difficult when the limits are 40 and 45mph in many of the fun segments). Love PA roads... hate their nanny state speed limits on roads with no traffic and no homes.
You should try the 1260, with the combination of the 56mm extended swing arm (shifting more weight to the front end) and the stronger mid range (more linear power) I have very little trouble with wheel standing now compared to my old DVT
Ultimately not as exciting but definitely faster, as I can put a lot more power down much earlier exiting corners, very noticeable on hill climbs where the 1260 has a large advantage

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
You should try the 1260, with the combination of the 56mm extended swing arm (shifting more weight to the front end) and the stronger mid range (more linear power) I have very little trouble with wheel standing now compared to my old DVT
Ultimately not as exciting but definitely faster, as I can put a lot more power down much earlier exiting corners, very noticeable on hill climbs where the 1260 has a large advantage
Oh I like the geometry of the 1200... while I can understand why folks would like the alternative, I enjoy having a bike that's a little bit sumo. I've also got the midrange of the 1200 to a happy place with the updates I've done, I suspect the 1260 (even stock) is a bit stronger but it's MUCH better than stock DVT's.

It's really interesting that the new S1000RR US version has that exact same midrange dip - reinforces that it was probably put there on purpose in 2015 on the Multi.

·
Registered
96 Posts
“V4 BMW K1300 GT” and
“BMW have a long history of making V4's its part of there DNA.” Hogwash. If you believe that crap you should check out the V6 BMW M3.

·
Registered
56 Posts
“V4 BMW K1300 GT” and
“BMW have a long history of making V4's its part of there DNA.” Hogwash. If you believe that crap you should check out the V6 BMW M3.
Google "Taking the piss out of someone"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
Just to kick the shit out of the BMW V6 thing, they actually have built V6s, just never put one into production. They build them and toss them in the trash. They don't like them and can't prove to themselves that the packaging benefits outweigh the straight six's refinement and smoothness but they have experimented with them nonetheless.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Obeying PA rural speed limits was... difficult. Using best practice and accelerating through corners risked expensive ticket exit speeds (not difficult when the limits are 40 and 45mph in many of the fun segments). Love PA roads... hate their nanny state speed limits on roads with no traffic and no homes.
I'm actually surprised to read that turn segment speed limits can land you a fine in Pennsylvania.
Even here in our "nanny" province of Ontario, "yellow" speed limit signs on ramps, exits and turns are just suggestions and aren't enforceable. It's the "white" speed limit signs of the road that are.
PS. LEO can always nail us with some other charge but that's harder for them to prove.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I'm actually surprised to read that turn segment speed limits can land you a fine in Pennsylvania.
Even here in our "nanny" province of Ontario, "yellow" speed limit signs on ramps, exits and turns are just suggestions and aren't enforceable. It's the "white" speed limit signs of the road that are.
PS. LEO can always nail us with some other charge but that's harder for them to prove.
Sad to say but the 35-45mph limits are not corner speeds they're posted speeds... their rural speed limits are absurdly low so even bike cornering speeds are generally above the limit (forget about the straights).

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Oh I like the geometry of the 1200... while I can understand why folks would like the alternative, I enjoy having a bike that's a little bit sumo. I've also got the midrange of the 1200 to a happy place with the updates I've done, I suspect the 1260 (even stock) is a bit stronger but it's MUCH better than stock DVT's.

It's really interesting that the new S1000RR US version has that exact same midrange dip - reinforces that it was probably put there on purpose in 2015 on the Multi.
Not sure what you mean by that second part. But I can confirm that the 1260 is a beast compared to even a well sorted DVT 1200, and the stability is second to none. I started my MTS search there, at a dealer. Sold me on the model. The new geometry is a case of gilding the lily compared to others in the class. And I'm not sure service costs could get any worse than the DVT for the V4. But I only ride 6K miles per year, so I'll probably be an early adopter and already started saving for it. Not sure the engine braking which serves me so well in the urban environment will carry over but that's what test rides are for. One thing is for sure, you won't need to re-pipe and dyno tune a V4 from the off!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts