Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow can’t believe nobody replied to counter this. The V4 is more compact. It is also wider. Engines have more than one dimension. One of the primary advantages of the V4 is packaging and fitting the engine forward enough in the frame to have a long swing arm. Good for rear traction. The L twin always resulted in a short swing arm. It’s why factory race bikes had ~1-2” longer swing arms than standard. The v4 is far more compact from a packaging perspective as it relates to handling. Width has almost zero impact on the handling characteristics of a motorcycle (within reason, not talking CBX here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trading one dimension for another doesn't make it more compact. It's wider, therefore it can't be more compact.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Compactness is a measure of all three dimensions and more specifically the CG and how far each dimension extends from it.

e.g.; a golf ball is more compact than a piece of spaghetti.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Compactness is a measure of all three dimensions and more specifically the CG and how far each dimension extends from it.

e.g.; a golf ball is more compact than a piece of spaghetti.

So I take it the way you're using the word "compact" you mean "mass centralization".

Ok, fair enough. :smile2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kind of a post necro, but all of the news outlets are now saying that's the new Multistrada GT, not the V4 that everyone has been seeing.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
It didn't sound like a twin... so even if it's a new "GT" model, the motor sounds like a 4 to me.

Or maybe they've created a v4 mule for 2021 and that's what they caught in that video?

I thought it would be odd for them to release a V4 SF AND Multi in the same year... seems like they often stage the release of updates that large.

I'd personally rather see the Multi stay twin... but if it does go to V4 I'd want to see that powerplant get some high mileage bikes in the wild before feeling comfortable buying a touring bike with it. Not to say Ducati doesn't know how to do quattro's... but doing a quattro with 100,000 mile durability in their first high volume try?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It didn't sound like a twin... so even if it's a new "GT" model, the motor sounds like a 4 to me.

Or maybe they've created a v4 mule for 2021 and that's what they caught in that video?

I thought it would be odd for them to release a V4 SF AND Multi in the same year... seems like they often stage the release of updates that large.

I'd personally rather see the Multi stay twin... but if it does go to V4 I'd want to see that powerplant get some high mileage bikes in the wild before feeling comfortable buying a touring bike with it. Not to say Ducati doesn't know how to do quattro's... but doing a quattro with 100,000 mile durability in their first high volume try?
I was thinking the same thing!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Doesn't seem like it'll help 2020 sales any. Maybe they'll spend the last model year of the twin getting rid of existing stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bam, hit it right on the mark.

Im slowly warming up to the idea of a V4 Multi but I need to see less recalls and good mileage out of the V4 engine first. I'm okay with the new multi NOT making 200HP... would it be nice? Yes, but if I can trade some horses for some good durability Ill do it.

Also, price. Since Ducati says the V4 will be sold alongside the twin models, how expensive will it be? I dont wanna see a 27k "S" model like the Panigale line...

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Bam, hit it right on the mark.

Im slowly warming up to the idea of a V4 Multi but I need to see less recalls and good mileage out of the V4 engine first. I'm okay with the new multi NOT making 200HP... would it be nice? Yes, but if I can trade some horses for some good durability Ill do it.

Also, price. Since Ducati says the V4 will be sold alongside the twin models, how expensive will it be? I dont wanna see a 27k "S" model like the Panigale line...
Yea... also I'm not really saying a 200hp V4 Multi wouldn't be tempting if it had a huge fat powerband to go with the peak... but if that's the case it's really starting to sound like a tall Streetfighter, which might be great for tall riders but I'm not entirely sure it would make sense for 5'10" me (vs getting a SF). It sounds to me like the S1000R vs. XR question... if you're not over 6' I'm not sure why you'd ever get the XR over the R (or the GS if you're more 'serious ADV' focused).

I'd not be taking a 200hp weapon offroad... so the whole '4 bikes in one' thing gets even weaker for most of us, and if the midrange is thinner than the 1260 then the case gets even weaker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea... also I'm not really saying a 200hp V4 Multi wouldn't be tempting if it had a huge fat powerband to go with the peak... but if that's the case it's really starting to sound like a tall Streetfighter, which might be great for tall riders but I'm not entirely sure it would make sense for 5'10" me (vs getting a SF). It sounds to me like the S1000R vs. XR question... if you're not over 6' I'm not sure why you'd ever get the XR over the R (or the GS if you're more 'serious ADV' focused).

I'd not be taking a 200hp weapon offroad... so the whole '4 bikes in one' thing gets even weaker for most of us, and if the midrange is thinner than the 1260 then the case gets even weaker.
Well all I can tell you is I'm 6 foot and I went from a 2017 S1000R Sport to the Multi due to having shite knees. The S1000R was infinitely more flickable than the Multi, but for a big girl she seems to handle OK.

At the end of the day some people prefer comfort over speed, and I had to adjust my priorities to match.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm with him... I like the character of twins for an ADV bike. I'd personally rather see the Multistrada lose 30 lbs without losing power or options instead of going to a V4 (which I suspect will add power but also weight).

On the Streetfighter however... hell yea V4.
I DO HATE WEIGHT TOO.I TOTALLY AGREE YOU

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
I guess they felt like they had to do it. BMW proves there's room for twins as well as fours in the segment. The Multi has always been more street oriented than the GS (or KTM) so maybe a V4 makes sense. If it wasn't slicing the salami too thin it would be nice to have a focused twin that doesn't break up in the dirt if it falls and is intentionally lighter than a GS or the current Multi. That would be for the ADV guys. For the sport touring guys, the four could be a blast depending on what else is included to make it a great dual purpose....touring and sport.....ride. Two bikes in one times two models.
The segments may not be big enough for Ducati to support two platforms though BMW seems to do it. As a sporting street ride with touring in mind the V4 some sense I guess. Although I don't need 190 HP and never will. I prefer the bike to be a little lower for every day use but wouldn't want to give up any legroom. I guess I'm in twin camp.

There's a power orgasm going on with the manufacturers building wilder and zanier capabilities into these machines. Capabilities I will never be able to exploit on roads even with higher posted speed limits.
I think this is going to be a fantastic bike that I will not be able to justify. Especially if it's heavier.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts