Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe 200-205 with CAT delete or factory race? >:)
As hilarious as that would look on a racetrack, I would rather they reduce weight somehow, or ...something else.

I have no interest in a 4 cylinder Ducati at all, and when I think of ways to improve the Multi, more power is the furthest thing from my mind.

I think they are making a mistake.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Too many people here poo-pooing this before it's even ridden. Heck you don't even know what other changes are being made as well (ie. maybe it's lighter, less cat heat, comfier seat, whatever). Could be a real gem of an engine in an updated package.
Yes we know it's a change away from a twin. And we don't know the exact reason why yet. Could very well be emissions reg.
Wait and see what the end result is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Too many people here poo-pooing this before it's even ridden. Heck you don't even know what other changes are being made as well (ie. maybe it's lighter, less cat heat, comfier seat, whatever). Could be a real gem of an engine in an updated package.

Yes we know it's a change away from a twin. And we don't know the exact reason why yet. Could very well be emissions reg.

All valid points above regarding the favoring of the twin.

But Everyone hates the new kid on the block at first...happens every year with every model. And plus the 2020 Multi and all models will come with radar for blind spot alerts and cornering ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
For me i have no interest in owning any 4 cylinder engine, i don't care how good or fast it is, ill never waste my dollars going down the multi cylinder route again. Im twin till my grave....Singles for off road, twins for the highway and fours for the track......triples? well theres a place for them but they just seem to miss the mark.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All valid points above regarding the favoring of the twin.

But Everyone hates the new kid on the block at first...happens every year with every model. And plus the 2020 Multi and all models will come with radar for blind spot alerts and cornering ABS.

My 2015 has cornering ABS.

Blindspot radar? LOL no

·
Registered
674 Posts
Singles for off road, twins for the highway and fours for the track.
I can see a space for a high performance four streetbike like the Streetfighter.
For highway use, I'm definitely with you where a twin is best for my needs and wants.

One angle that eludes all the chatter is service cost. Will the Desmo Service double in price going from a V2 to a V4?
This could be a major point of contention given that the average Multistrada owners rack-up more mileage per year than the typical sportbike riders.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One angle that eludes all the chatter is service cost. Will the Desmo Service double in price going from a V2 to a V4?
This could be a major point of contention given that the average Multistrada owners rack-up more mileage per year than the typical sportbike riders.
I spoke with my service department about this when the Pani V4 came out, and they assured me this would not be the case. The major service will generally be more expensive, but not close to twice as expensive, probably 2-3 hundred dollars more. The rationale is that most of the cost in a Desmo service is labor to get the bike apart sufficiently to remove the heads, and re-assembly. That labor doesn't change significantly, regardless of V2 or V4.

Take that for what it's worth; obviously any Desmo service can get very expensive if the owner has thrashed the bike and it needs 3/4 of the valves re-shimmed.

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
I got into Ducati BECAUSE they built twins, a 4 will neever do it for me no matter how good. Otherwise I would already own a BMW or MVAgusta.

That said that is my defect not yours, I am sure the bike will be great. If you compare power curves you will see less power at low rpms but probably a diagonal line of a power curve for the v4 which will make for a easy bike to ride. More rpms will give you more power all the way to peaks at redline, this will feel smooth and nice. The electronics will work more often for those who chose to rev it high as I am sure the power output will put a 10 year old superbike to shame.

I was hoping the v4 would help reduce heat from the shorter cylinders to move the vertical exhaust pipe further from the rider but from what i hear from riders is that is at least as hot as the twin superbike.I would expect not double the cost to maintain over a twin but closer to 10-20%, the majority of the time on a tune is still getting to the valves and back not the number of valves to be measured and adjusted.

Where this bike may be a benefit will be the lack of timing belts, for some owners. Riders who ride many miles will not notice much except the savings of not buying the belts ever tune ($100-200 parts cost), riders who do not put on many miles will not have to replace belts alone and have the labor and parts cost every 5 years regardless of miles. All Ducati needs to do now is put the shaft drive on and they will have a better touring bike.

Better still put in valve springs and hydraulic valve adjusters and they would have a motor that needs very little service at all.

·
Bon Vivant
10,198 Posts
I love a proper V4. My Tuono puts a grin on my face every time I hop on it. The problem with Ducati's V4 is the crank configuration - this thing is more like a twin twin, not a real V4 and not a V2. For those of you who love the twin I dont see a problem - it still has the feel and character of a V2. For those of us who want a proper V4 the Ducati is a let-down.

Heck I need to ride these new bikes and see for myself, I'm not going to swear them off before I check them out in person but I aint walking in wearing my rosey glasses...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Exactly. A 1200 or 1260 twin has massive torque in the middle and plenty of top end pull.

The V4 makes sense for a sport bike where you need more peak hp and can expense the lower torque output as you spend most time in the upper revs. A V4 in a touring bike just doesn't interest me. A BMW twin would be great, the BMW with an inline six no thank you. Africa Twin, sure, Goldwing no.

Not sure why anyone would prefer a 1000cc V-4 in a Multistrada over a 1200cc V-Twin but maybe I'm a dinosaur . . .

NC

I'm with him... I like the character of twins for an ADV bike. I'd personally rather see the Multistrada lose 30 lbs without losing power or options instead of going to a V4 (which I suspect will add power but also weight).

On the Streetfighter however... hell yea V4.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Perhaps I would like a V4 someday as a change of pace but not now.
I have two twins; a Multi and a Monster. Both have a Testastretta engine. One with DVT, the other not.
Both are totally different. The Multi DVT is smooth yet linearly powerful.
The Monster is wild, loud and rambunctious.
I totally get what Pre-DVT Multistrada owners are talking about when riding the Monster.
Personally, I like the smooth DVT of the Multi as it has lots of grunt and top end yet civilized.
The Monster is my hooligan bad boy type of bike. When I wack the throttle, I feel like a street corner whore exposing her ***.
Moreover, When I ride it, the compliments don't end although the Multi gets some as well but not nearly as much as the black Monster.
It's all good for me. No regrets or wish for change.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my first twin and I love her, tons of character for sure. I can’t see them doing this anytime soon given how long it took them to update to the 1260,,,,IMHO

·
Registered
163 Posts
The V4 is definitely not more compact than a V-twin. It's impossible. The V4 Panigale is significantly wider than the ole 1299. They claim they're trying to "show off" the V4 engine in the Panigale, but we all know that's just marketing spin for, "how do we make this negative a positive?"

It's nice that the firing order sounds like a V-twin, however I don't see the appeal. If it's a v4, I would prefer it to sound like an Aprilia. For a track bike, 97% of amateur riders can't even reach the limits of a 600cc... I don't know what any Ducati V4 riders do with them (cars and coffee? park it in the corners and freight train down the straights?).

I don't have any complaints with the smoothness of the V2. Frankly, it gives it some character. Sure it's a bit lumpy below 3000rpm, but who really rides there? The BMW S1000XR engine is smooth as butter and makes even more power than the MTS, and is completely soulless. I'm completely happy with the current engine output; it's almost too fast. I rarely get to rip on it for more than a couple seconds for fear of the fuzz, so why do I need even more power for? It sounds absolutely glorious at full chat, but then I look down and the speedo is reading XXX and I'm only in 3rd gear and I know the fun is over.

It would be nice to drop 30lbs, as Dave mentioned, however. The bike is just too damn heavy to do anything technical offroad, mainly due to it's shear mass. It's a beast to push around with luggage.

Wow can’t believe nobody replied to counter this. The V4 is more compact. It is also wider. Engines have more than one dimension. One of the primary advantages of the V4 is packaging and fitting the engine forward enough in the frame to have a long swing arm. Good for rear traction. The L twin always resulted in a short swing arm. It’s why factory race bikes had ~1-2” longer swing arms than standard. The v4 is far more compact from a packaging perspective as it relates to handling. Width has almost zero impact on the handling characteristics of a motorcycle (within reason, not talking CBX here).

·
Registered
655 Posts
CBX? Bought in '79 and rode her until '84 when I bought the new Ninja. Never should have sold her!

With my '12 getting ready to hit 100,000 miles, I'm thinking about a new MTS. The V4 is interesting, and I'd luv to ride one for a comparo, but the extra $$$ AND maintenance work is a concern. I do my own valves/belts/etc., so that $$$ isnt a concern, but doubling up the closer shims, with I'm sure VERY little room to work on the vert cylinder.....

Hmmm....

·
Registered
835 Posts
Perhaps I would like a V4 someday as a change of pace but not now.
I have two twins; a Multi and a Monster. Both have a Testastretta engine. One with DVT, the other not.
Both are totally different. The Multi DVT is smooth yet linearly powerful.
The Monster is wild, loud and rambunctious.
I totally get what Pre-DVT Multistrada owners are talking about when riding the Monster.
Personally, I like the smooth DVT of the Multi as it has lots of grunt and top end yet civilized.
The Monster is my hooligan bad boy type of bike. When I wack the throttle, I feel like a street corner whore exposing her ***.
Moreover, When I ride it, the compliments don't end although the Multi gets some as well but not nearly as much as the black Monster.
It's all good for me. No regrets or wish for change.
That Monster is COOL.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts