Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Any reasoning behind that? Nostalgia?
I'm with him... I like the character of twins for an ADV bike. I'd personally rather see the Multistrada lose 30 lbs without losing power or options instead of going to a V4 (which I suspect will add power but also weight).

On the Streetfighter however... hell yea V4.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have read that the V4 is slightly lighter and more compact than the V2. I suspect that Euro 5 emissions regulations may play a role in this change if it happens. The V4 will be more expensive to produce and to maintain. I have not ridden a V4 but all reviewers claim that it is much smoother than the V2. We are living in a time when some truly wonderful motorcycles are available. I am eagerly awaiting future anouncments.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have read that the V4 is slightly lighter and more compact than the V2. I suspect that Euro 5 emissions regulations may play a role in this change if it happens. The V4 will be more expensive to produce and to maintain. I have not ridden a V4 but all reviewers claim that it is much smoother than the V2. We are living in a time when some truly wonderful motorcycles are available. I am eagerly awaiting future anouncments.
The V4 is definitely not more compact than a V-twin. It's impossible. The V4 Panigale is significantly wider than the ole 1299. They claim they're trying to "show off" the V4 engine in the Panigale, but we all know that's just marketing spin for, "how do we make this negative a positive?"

It's nice that the firing order sounds like a V-twin, however I don't see the appeal. If it's a v4, I would prefer it to sound like an Aprilia. For a track bike, 97% of amateur riders can't even reach the limits of a 600cc... I don't know what any Ducati V4 riders do with them (cars and coffee? park it in the corners and freight train down the straights?).

I don't have any complaints with the smoothness of the V2. Frankly, it gives it some character. Sure it's a bit lumpy below 3000rpm, but who really rides there? The BMW S1000XR engine is smooth as butter and makes even more power than the MTS, and is completely soulless. I'm completely happy with the current engine output; it's almost too fast. I rarely get to rip on it for more than a couple seconds for fear of the fuzz, so why do I need even more power for? It sounds absolutely glorious at full chat, but then I look down and the speedo is reading XXX and I'm only in 3rd gear and I know the fun is over.

It would be nice to drop 30lbs, as Dave mentioned, however. The bike is just too damn heavy to do anything technical offroad, mainly due to it's shear mass. It's a beast to push around with luggage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Any reasoning behind that? Nostalgia?
Power characteristics, power delivery, sound. I love the feeling of the big V2. I've owned a 4 cylinder once and have moved on. I like mega torque down low with no need to rev to the moon. I ride with a friend who has a well sorted Tuono. It's nice and all, makes a good sound, but the V2 stirs the soul just right. A guy in the next town used to have a 1098 w/ Termi's and while pool-side, I could hear him coming for miles, and when he went by I'd get all giddy like a little kid. Gawd I love the sound of a Ducati twin... and always will.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2013 1200S has only 27,00p km on the clock, and I have little interest in changing. With an SC Projects Oval exhaust, it barely passes the noise limits, and it’s fast enough, characterful enough, and my partner loves it!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Power characteristics, power delivery, sound. I love the feeling of the big V2. I've owned a 4 cylinder once and have moved on. I like mega torque down low with no need to rev to the moon. I ride with a friend who has a well sorted Tuono. It's nice and all, makes a good sound, but the V2 stirs the soul just right. A guy in the next town used to have a 1098 w/ Termi's and while pool-side, I could hear him coming for miles, and when he went by I'd get all giddy like a little kid. Gawd I love the sound of a Ducati twin... and always will.
The only four cylinder bike I've owned in the last 20 years was a V4 Tuono, i got bored with the rev happy power delivery, and recently i purchased a MV 800 triple, shortest term of ownership I've ever had on a bike (less than 2 months), couldn't wait to get rid of it, traded it on a 790 KTM parallel twin, so 3 twins for me 1290, 1198, 790. i wouldn't be interested in a V4 Multistrada. It doesn't worry me that Ducati may go down this path, as there will be plenty of 1260's on offer then.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've only owned/ridden two V4 powered bikes .... 1980s Honda V65 Magna and Sabre.

Midrange beasts, pulled like a winch. Very distinctive idle sound (asymmetric bumpity bumpity sortof lopsided crank timing sound). However I'd reckon a guess that modern V4s are nothing like that .. which is too bad.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The V4 is definitely not more compact than a V-twin. It's impossible. The V4 Panigale is significantly wider than the ole 1299. They claim they're trying to "show off" the V4 engine in the Panigale, but we all know that's just marketing spin for, "how do we make this negative a positive?"

It's nice that the firing order sounds like a V-twin, however I don't see the appeal. If it's a v4, I would prefer it to sound like an Aprilia. For a track bike, 97% of amateur riders can't even reach the limits of a 600cc... I don't know what any Ducati V4 riders do with them (cars and coffee? park it in the corners and freight train down the straights?).

I don't have any complaints with the smoothness of the V2. Frankly, it gives it some character. Sure it's a bit lumpy below 3000rpm, but who really rides there? The BMW S1000XR engine is smooth as butter and makes even more power than the MTS, and is completely soulless. I'm completely happy with the current engine output; it's almost too fast. I rarely get to rip on it for more than a couple seconds for fear of the fuzz, so why do I need even more power for? It sounds absolutely glorious at full chat, but then I look down and the speedo is reading XXX and I'm only in 3rd gear and I know the fun is over.

It would be nice to drop 30lbs, as Dave mentioned, however. The bike is just too damn heavy to do anything technical offroad, mainly due to it's shear mass. It's a beast to push around with luggage.
2015 1200st owner here

all this!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless Ducati has some power delivery wizardry up their sleeve, can't say I see the sense in this. They know who buys these bikes; as a group, it's not people who are going to be impressed by a high RPM engine that delivers all it's power up top.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, right now it just seems a bizarre decision, given the direction they've taken the Multi in the last few years.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am all over this. I told my wife I'd be getting in line, but I don't think she was actually paying attention.
I can relate to your wife.
Mine keeps telling me I never listen to what she says. Then she went on talking about other things but I wasn't really paying attention.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Unless Ducati has some power delivery wizardry up their sleeve, can't say I see the sense in this. They know who buys these bikes; as a group, it's not people who are going to be impressed by a high RPM engine that delivers all it's power up top.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, right now it just seems a bizarre decision, given the direction they've taken the Multi in the last few years.
Based on what we've heard about the V4 streetfighter, I'd be shocked if the V4 Multi isn't retuned from the Panigale application. I mean, that's exactly what they did in the past with the Testrastretta, going from 41 degree overlap in the 1198 to the 11 degree overlap in the Multi.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Based on what we've heard about the V4 streetfighter, I'd be shocked if the V4 Multi isn't retuned from the Panigale application. I mean, that's exactly what they did in the past with the Testrastretta, going from 41 degree overlap in the 1198 to the 11 degree overlap in the Multi.
I am sure it will be, they are talking 190 HP, not 221 like the pani. They know we like lots of torque and don’t need or want to spin it up to 14K. I can tell you after a few laps on a demo bike the V4 pani is a blast to ride. That is a very nice engine, great feel, sound and pulls hard from 3K. Do we need more HP? probably not the 950 is plenty fast but the 1200, 1260 are more popular & fun. The V4 is the natural progression.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts