Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%

Multistrada V4 Details & Info

327K views 4K replies 138 participants last post by  DaveAu 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is anyone excited/interested in this new V4 model being unveiled soon?
This is the Ducati preview launch page:

Theorem #1
4 is lighter than 2

The adaptation of V4 to a smaller bore achieves the objective of a weight reduction of 1.2 kg compared to the previous V2 generation.

Theorem #2
The Power is smooth

170 HP of pure sportiness. Powerful, smooth and always ready when needed. For a distinctive character, even more Ducati, at low, medium and high rpm.

Theorem #3
The world is not enough.

The earth’s circumference is 40,075 km across.
Try 60,000 km.

Revzilla Video:

News #1:

Highlights
  • New Ducati Multistrada V4 is to be unveiled in a month or two
  • Ducati Multistrada V4 will be a 2021 model and get a 1,158 cc engine
  • New Multistrada V4 will join the Multistrada 950, 1260 models

News #2:

News#3:

News #4:
Ducati Multistrada V4 is equipped with front and rear radar technology that detects nearby vehicles to be revealed on October 15.

News #5:
New Ducati Multistrada V4 Will Make 170 Horsepower

News #6:
New 2021 Ducati Multistrada V4 Gets Adaptive Cruise Control

News #7:
Sneak Peek: New Ducati Multistrada V4 With Adaptive Cruise Control

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
All V4s are going to have a traditional double swingarm? I'll take that with a grain of salt since it's just a spy report, but if that's true I think Ducati will regret it.

Single sided is iconic for the brand. The trellis frame is slowly going away, too. I guess they'll be telling us about the benefits of valve springs next.

#8 · (Edited)
Agree, I'm not interested in a more dirt oriented Multi... my S is perfect for my kind of sport touring. If they put a 180+ hp V4 and semi-active Ohlins in it and kept everything else the same I'd be SORELY tempted to buy it (because "more of a good thing"). But if they give it dirt chops... it may be great for the folks that are into dirt on $25k bikes... but it'll compromise too many of the things that made me want the Multi over the other options in 2015, including the lovely and SUPER convenient wrt Maintenance SSSA.

#132 ·
Of course nobody "needs them". Nobody needs more than 25 hp either. Maybe we should all but Royal Enfield Bullets. Nonetheless, positive valve actuation (whether mechanical/desmo or pneumatic) is a better solution than valve springs, even with modern metallurgy. Ducati still uses it in their racing machinery and the top levels of racing have all moved away from springs. The next step will be fully pneumatic or servo controlled valve trains without cams.

#7 ·
Completely different situation. Harley is in the situation it is because for decades they refused to change anything about their operating model, from the bikes to the marketing, as the target audience of that model got smaller and smaller, both in absolute terms and relative to the overall motorcycle market. They adopted their core audience's anti-innovation beliefs as a pillar of their corporate identity, and didn't see the damage being done until it was too late. Harley abandoned innovation in favor of their identity. If Ducati was going to make a similar mistake, it would be in the opposite direction.

#6 ·
But I'm seriously interested in serious points made here, in advance of purchasing a new Multi in the coming months. What do you think this Multi V4 will offer that is NOT provided by the current 950S and 1260S models?
  • Will it be the power/torque/fuel mileage?
  • Will it be the active cruise control radar?
  • Better service frequencies (more mileage/time between service intervals)?
  • Will it be "more capable" off road (enduro) than the current Enduro models?
I'm seriously trying to figure out the expected features/benefits to this new model (as we hypothesize in advanced of the actual announcement)...

#9 ·
Anyone excited/interested in this new V4 model being unveiled soon?

Highlights
  • New Ducati Multistrada V4 to be unveiled in a month or two
  • Ducati Multistrada V4 will be a 2021 model and get a 1,158 cc engine
  • New Multistrada V4 will join the Multistrada 950, 1260 models
Curious, Yes
Exited, No
Interested (in purchasing), No

#12 ·
Just got a new 1260S, have had many different bikes in the past 25 years. I would not have bought it with anything else then a twin. The V4 is fore sure a massive power plant, but to me it lacks the soul of a Ducati. If you want the best for crossing a continent I am sure its better with V4. Let us hope they keep the twin for us not so effictive persons.

#14 ·
Since the V4 is apparently going to exist along-side the 1260, I can't fathom the end goal here. I think we still don't know enough about the V4. Is it a replacement, or a distinct new model, targeting a different audience? Hard to say, until we see more details.

#16 ·
the rumors are that it was going to replace the Enduro AND 1260S.

That didn't really track for me... but that traditional swingarm combined with its more 1260S'ish size definitely throws weight into that argument.

#15 ·
The current V4 has pretty decent torque... I'm not sure that will be an issue. I suspect what they'll do is knock a few k off the rev limit (which saves money on topend components) and use that reduced rev range to give them latitude in the bottom end build (bit more displacement without more engine stress).

That won't result in a Super Duke class torque monster but probably something similar to the 1200/1260 at the bottom end but with more thrust at the ceiling. One of the things I always liked about the Multi vs. other "ADV" bikes like the GS was the top end fun... so I suspect I would like the motor characteristics.

As long as it's not crushed by too much 'Enduro' DNA. (Not saying some folks won't like that... just not my thing, big ADV bikes are too heavy for me to really enjoy them - I'm always thinking "this would be SOO much better on a smaller displacement/MUCH lighter bike".

#18 ·
I received an email from Ducati today talking about the new V4 1158cc. They'll send weekly emails with 1 update at the time.

Today's update was about the engine's weight: -1.2kg vs the current 1260. Yes, slightly lighter than the v-twin.

I agree with the other participants in not seeing where they'll fit the V4 in the lineup. The only placement I see it making sense, considering the leaked pictures with the double swingarm and the 19" front wheel, is a replacement to the current Enduro. They'd be changing big and heavy to big and virtually as heavy, and if @DaveK 's suspicious above is correct the lowered rev limit in exchange better lower rev band behavior can be a good approach for those intending on using the bike in the dirt.

Question to those more mechanically-knowledgeable: could the V4 present any advance vs the v-twin in terms of maintenance simplicity and/or reliability?

#19 ·
If they do a v4 Supersport, I would be very very interested. That would make for an epic sports touring bike.

#23 ·
That's almost exactly the market I'm in. I love my Multi, but I'm firmly in the high-performance sport touring camp and for now the Multi scratches that itch. I'd hate to lose the single-sided swingarm because I appreciate the ease in chain tensioning and in removing the rear wheel for tire changes. But really what I'm not interested in is the 19" front wheel the spy shots have shown so far. That's the pendulum swinging the other way. A V4 Supersport could be very, very interesting.

#21 ·
I'm going out on a limb that non-enduro Multistrada owners love the single sided swingarm (I definitely do)
I'm also going to guess that most non-enduro Multi owners tend to do more on-road than off-road riding.

Personally if half of what I've read recently is true, I think Ducati is making a huge mistake/gamble, and I doubt it will pay off.

#22 ·
I'm going out on a limb that non-enduro Multistrada owners love the single sided swingarm (I definitely do)
As do I. Standard swing arms ARE better than SSS... in an actual competitive race. But to me.. at home and on the road as well as the occasional track day, I LOVE the looks and functionality of it. lots of things I don't need to worry about like making sure my rear wheel is straight.

Reactions: potomacduc
#26 ·
Of course I'm no professional, nor a GS owner, but wouldnt the twin in this lighter, 19in front wheel package compete better? GS's dont make 170 HP and the owners dont care im sure.

#27 ·
As somebody who rides their Multi1200S as a sportbike for 500 mile days - I really hope they don't go 19" front wheel only. I know it's been decided but man I hope there are 17" wheels. I've been waiting for a WHILE. This would cut the worthy contenders from 2 to 1 (Super Duke GT is left).

Yes the BMW S1000XR is also in this space but man, 4cyls are too smooth and boring :(

Edit: And yes, I think they killed the single sided arm which bums me out. I'm worried I'm gonna have my '14 for a long time :(

#134 · (Edited)
A friend has an S1000R and another has a S1000XR. Trust me, smooth is not an issue for those. They are buzzy as can be. Still I agree with you that too smooth is too boring.
My riding is similar to yours, but admittedly 350 miles/day is more typical for me. On the backroads with breakfast, lunch and gas stops and it usually ends up being a 9-10 hour day.
The Superduke GT is rumored to be getting the same engine and frame updates as the R for '21. It's quickly becoming my top contender as well. My plan has been to buy in '22, because I don't like first year engines/models. We'll see what the future holds...

#29 ·
I use my Multistrada as a sportbike. In fact, I'm starting to regret replacing the Pirelli Scorpions Trails with Anget GT's which are a big improvement over those OEM's. I should have went directly to Diablo Rosso III or even Rosso Corsa II's.
Consequently, an Enduro is not on my short list. If it was, it would not be a big literbike.

#30 ·
My next tires will likely be Bridgestone T31's I had them on my S1000R and they were fantastic and about $100 a set cheaper than PR4's. Exclusive 19" wheel would be a deal breaker for me.
I will be likely looking at a Super Duke GT as my next bike (likely a few years away yet) if the Multi ends up following the rumours.

#32 ·
The next "paradigm" has been released by Ducati, claiming 170HP... Surely at the crank.

"170 HP of pure sportiness"

Sportiness? In an enduro package? uh huh.....

Reactions: Blaise
#34 · (Edited)
Completely irrelevant is inaccurate at best. There are far more people who track and/or canyon carve with their Multistradas than take them off road and there it makes a big difference, especially in tire options.

Reactions: Blaise
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.