Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
1541 - 1560 of 1643 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sarcasms aside, what most Multi owners want to know is how does this new model compare with its previous iteration?
Until now, this question has not been addressed by professional reviewers. Hopefully, side by side shootouts will surface soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your sarcasm is misplaced. This is the only side-by-side comparison that's been published.
It's just his opinion, that all. Hopefully we will see more of these from established Moto Journalists.
Agreed.
I don't trust someone just because they get paid to share their opinion or because they have a lot of followers. Apparently some people need the "most important motorcycle journalists" to tell them how to think.

When it comes to reviews and reviewers, I trust those that show a similar perspective to me. Sometimes I pick that up when reading one review, but more often it takes several reviews to pick up on that.
Most reviews and reviewers have some insight to have, so I pick up pieces that resonate here and there, but the riders who consistently come away with similar reactions to the same bikes as me are the ones I trust the most when I am looking for info on a bike I have not ridden. It doesn't matter if they are a pro, amateur, have 10 followers or 100,000. I put a lot of stock in some of the big names and zero stock in others.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Teapotone does some great videos so I’ve seen many of his bike reviews. The one nagging issue I’ve seen with reviews of the S1000XR is the excessive vibration in the handlebar & pegs around 6k RPM.

Anyone here ride the XR and experience that same vibration?
I rode the 2020 XR before purchasing my 1260s. The vibes were immediately noticable at just above 5,000 rpm...I felt it in both the foot pegs and the handle bars. Some people don't mind those vibes so the choice is a personal one.

I will however say....this is a quote from Bennet's Bikes out of the U.K. about the vibes and how BMW addressed the issue and largely fixed it...

"Do the bars still vibrate on the 2020 BMW S1000XR?
I felt for any buzz as much as I could on the launch, and while you can of course feel some vibration, it didn’t feel anything like it was on the previous XR. The 2020 bar risers are isolated through rubber inserts that give much more damping than before – you can rock the bars left and right and forward and back now, though it doesn’t make for a detached feel to the steering.

BMW added some rubber damping to the top yoke/bar risers (which was also available to owners of the first machines) around 2016, after which not everyone was bothered by it, but it did get to the point that it started to irritate me if I was sat on a straight road with the revs constantly around 5,500rpm. Fitting Evotech Performance bar end weights helped a lot, but with the slightly heavier Evotech Performance handguard protectors, the buzz was pretty much eliminated on my 2019 model."

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
@johnrobb1
It's one of those things like the heat of a Paniglale which people like to complain about.
My buddy has a XR where both he and Bennet concur that it's an non-issue and certainly not a deal-breaker.

Reactions: johnrobb1

·
Registered
304 Posts
It was for me. I rented an XR in Germany, Belgium, Holland for 4 days in 2018 and it was terrible. I'm smiling in the pic, but my hands were not.I heard the new ones have solved it

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,547
It was for me. I rented an XR in Germany, Belgium, Holland for 4 days in 2018 and it was terrible. I'm smiling in the pic, but my hands were not.I heard the new ones have solved it View attachment 1000273
What about that “cupped” seat? That would seem to offer either great comfort (for the properly shaped posterior) and great discomfort on long rides. It seems that Ducati is intentionally going for a flat seat that offers more movement and shifting on the seat. Curious to see if this design works once we can start riding them here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good observation. This was a couple of years ago and I don't really remember the seat being an issue. Generally I think the ergos on the XR were fine for me size/build - felt similar to the Multi really. I just recall the vibration through the bars was unbearable for all day riding.
I know some people are sensitive to seat shape/padding, but I've never had issues - outside of standing up every hour to get blood into my thighs/butt.

Reactions: HoodooGuru

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good observation. This was a couple of years ago and I don't really remember the seat being an issue. Generally I think the ergos on the XR were fine for me size/build - felt similar to the Multi really. I just recall the vibration through the bars was unbearable for all day riding.
I know some people are sensitive to seat shape/padding, but I've never had issues - outside of standing up every hour to get blood into my thighs/butt.
My reaction to the XR has been similar. It has a nice chassis and has ergos that are quite similar to the Multi 1200, but I didn't care for the engine. The vibes (I have only ridden pre 2018 bikes) are annoying, but even setting those aside, the engine didn't do it for me. At the risk of going down the "character" road, I just don't find the S1000 series motor (or most I4s for that fact) appealing. This is of course subjective. If you like I4s and the frequency of the vibes doesn't bother you, then it's a very good and capable sport-tourer.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,551
Just posted! Video review of 1260S vs V4:

Might this be the very video comparison we’ve all been itching for?!?
I have not watched this, so I cannot speak to the veracity of the info shares. Take what you want from it yourself.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,552
Just posted! Video review of 1260S vs V4:

Might this be the very video comparison we’ve all been itching for?!?
I have not watched this, so I cannot speak to the veracity of the info shares. Take what you want from it yourself.
Fun to see this from this video:
“It’s so easy to go fast (on this V4)” 😆

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Fun to see this from this video:
This is the place to learn to go fast safely...with a coach. You will learn bike geometry and the managing the forces which can upset the bike, body positioning, the basics of braking and steering, positioning your corner entry, how to see (yes! how to see), managing the gas, trail braking and practice self-honing techniques. All of which you will use on the street to make the rider ,their passenger and others safer.

All tracks have organizations which offers advanced rider training. Many of these are not about racing skills. In fact, they are about applying advanced riding skills applicable to the public roads. Heck, you can bring and ride your bagger to some of these.
Very few know how to ride yet everybody's a Rossi in their own mind.
Did you know that less than 1% of riders take any advanced training beyond MSF?
Riding is a perishable skill. Investing in life-time rider training like these guys and gals is the best performance mod you can make. Make it a habit of attending one each season if you can. They're fun!
Pro6cycleclass.jpg

Reactions: HoodooGuru

·
Registered
229 Posts
The video was entertaining. i like those guys!
however, for my curiosity, it did nothing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,558
Hodo,
what was your impression?
Having watched it twice, here’s my take:

1. These guys seem like genuine English blokes out having a fun test ride. I do not get the sense they’re sharing anything other than their honest feedback.
2. It’s not a deeply comprehensive comparison video, so I take it as first blush impressions and what their initial feelings are. And the fact the conditions were poor means they really didn’t push the performance of the bikes (cornering, etc)
3. I keep hearing “smooth” and “easy” from all the videos I’ve watched. It seems Ducati met its goal to produce a “smooth” engine in an “easy” bike to ride.
4. The main reviewer seems to think this V4 truly is the better bike (than the 1260) and seems quite positive with the overall bike and its capabilities.

Overall, you’re not gonna get a ton of info from this video, but I’ll take every impression and thoughts from actual riders to come to my own conclusions.
In short, what I’m seeing so far is that this new V4 will indeed be a great bike for me and many other riders. And even for those looking to move from a 1260, though I can see many reasons why owners won’t.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The Multistrada is fast but braking distances are more important.
Including reaction time which represents a quarter of the distance, it takes an average rider about 300ft to stop a bike from 70 mph. How fast is the Multistrada 1260?

Screenshot from 2021-01-12 23:06:57.png

At this speed, you've traveled about 240 feet in one second which is your average reaction time before you apply the brakes. Given the good brakes and ABS on a Multistrada, add twice that distance and we're looking at 720 ft minimum before you come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
in what condition? it appeared wet.

The Multistrada is fast but braking distances are more important.
Including reaction time which represents a quarter of the distance, it takes an average rider about 300ft to stop a bike from 70 mph. How fast is the Multistrada 1260?

View attachment 1000377

At this speed, you've traveled about 240 feet in one second which is your average reaction time before you apply the brakes. Given the good brakes and ABS on a Multistrada, add twice that distance and your looking at 720 ft minimum before you come to a complete stop.

1541 - 1560 of 1643 Posts