Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
1501 - 1520 of 1643 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read ya. It's totally pathetic.
How can heavier 19" wheels with larger rotational mass out-handle smaller and lighter wheels is preposterous. This is banter for the uninformed. Then there's the smaller rear tire footprint.
Unbelievable marketing gullibility!
You cannot tell how a motorcycle is going to handle from looking at spec sheet, it's lot more than the sum of simple things like front wheel diameter or perceived tire "footprint".
With equivalent tires it's entirely plausible that the new bike handles as well or better than it's predecessors.

And to address some other people, yes, for most the lack of super sticky tires won't make a difference. But there are people, mostly ex-racers, who can and do exploit that extra grip on the street. For them the 19" front wheel is a limitation.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Another decent video with “fresh rider” sentiments on the V4, and a newly unboxed one at that. And this channel will be doing a 1260 vs V4 comparison so I’ll be looking for that once he posts it.

Seems like consistent positive praise for the V4 from every video I’ve seen. That 19” front seems to be a non-issue when it comes to street riding performance.

We know more about what sandwiches and biscuits they did or did not eat that day than the bike.
Any news on when your V4 arrives?
Looking forward to your review, owner reviews tend to be genuine with no hidden agendas.(y)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,503
We know more about what sandwiches and biscuits they did or did not eat that day than the bike.
Any news on when your V4 arrives?
Looking forward to your review, owner reviews tend to be genuine with no hidden agendas.(y)
Well, at least you know it was a genuine review given all the sandwich & donut talk...
My V4 is scheduled for April delivery. Still too much cold/snow here in Utah (Rocky Mountain West) to do any riding before then. I'd expect I'll share LOTS of in-depth feedback and observations once I get my time with it. My only agenda is to share my joy & passion with things I like-- no sense in being a downer. Life can suck enough to not need any more of that.

In my view, there are SO MANY good bike on the market now that you truly cannot be unhappy with many of these choices, be it Multi V4 (or most of the Ducati line up of which many tempt my wallet), BMW XR, Triumph Tiger 900, and numerous other bikes I'd happily own.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't need 'super sticky', normal sport tires will do just fine. Rider skill = speed.
Everyone who has actually ridden the V4 says the handling is excellent. The only people who say it handles bad are the people who haven't ridden it. :unsure:
Perhaps "real riders" can't read... I said "all other things being equal"

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This thread is hilariously getting as polarized as Democrats vs Republicans.
Fortunately for us here in Canada, our Conservatives are exactly the same as our Liberals.
It's a non-issue. :rolleyes: ;):unsure::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on my understanding, only journalists/test riders from the world's most important magazines were invited to Bologna for the launch-ride, so I think that the opinions they have written about excellence of V4, are quite reliable.

The skeptic group seems to be current V2 owners, who have no intention (or money) to buy new model at all...If they are happy with their current bikes, it is fine with me, I have no need to convince them to buy, or even like the new model. I am still sure that this V4 will be more succesful.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Based on my understanding, only journalists/test riders from the world's most important magazines were invited to Bologna for the launch-ride, so I think that the opinions they have written about excellence of V4, are quite reliable.
Your first draft:
Based on my understanding, only ̶c̶a̶r̶r̶e̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ journalists/test riders from the world's most important ̶O̶n̶ ̶P̶a̶y̶o̶l̶a̶ magazines were b̶r̶i̶b̶e̶d̶ invited to Bologna for the ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶l̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ launch-ride, so I think that the opinions they have written about excellence of V4, are ̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ quite reliable. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your first draft:
Based on my understanding, only ̶c̶a̶r̶r̶e̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ journalists/test riders from the world's most important ̶O̶n̶ ̶P̶a̶y̶o̶l̶a̶ magazines were b̶r̶i̶b̶e̶d̶ invited to Bologna for the ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶l̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ launch-ride, so I think that the opinions they have written about excellence of V4, are ̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ quite reliable. ;)
Why are you even posting still? All you so is whine and complain about a bike you've never ridden accusing those who have of lying.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Why are you even posting still? All you so is whine and complain about a bike you've never ridden accusing those who have of lying.
I never said they were lying. However, they are certainly not highlighting the valued features that previous Multstrada owners liked.

Where's your sense of humor?
Just having some fun here. :)

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
166 Posts
Cool how this thread has devolved into if you haven’t fallen in love with the new bike you are either an idiot, terrible rider or both. Ha, all from ppl who haven’t even been on her...like who gives a crap. Healthy criticism of the bike is fine, but if you do you get personally insulted instead of just talking about the bike. If you like it then go buy it! Good for you nobody is stopping you, but many folks don’t like the direction they went and as it stands basically ruined the model lineup. Anyways in the end all the reviews and fanboys in the world don’t help a bike that ugly...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am still sure that this V4 will be more succesful.
I'm sure it won't be, isn't it fun making baseless statements?

For the record, I bet a lot of us complaining about the V4 had money set aside to buy a V4 if it had ticked the same boxes as the previous bikes.

edit And again, I just don't understand why Ducati couldn't have offered the bike with cast /forged 17" wheels and 19" spoked front as options.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cool how this thread has devolved into if you haven’t fallen in love with the new bike you are either an idiot, terrible rider or both. Ha, all from ppl who haven’t even been on her...like who gives a crap. Healthy criticism of the bike is fine, but if you do you get personally insulted instead of just talking about the bike. If you like it then go buy it! Good for you nobody is stopping you, but many folks don’t like the direction they went and as it stands basically ruined the model lineup. Anyways in the end all the reviews and fanboys in the world don’t help a bike that ugly...
When the same few people post the exact same complaint over and over again it gets pretty old. They are free to have their own opinion but you don't need to spam down the thread with it repeatedly accusing everyone that has actually ridden it of being paid for good reviews etc. The thread has become absolutely horrible to even read because of a few select people just endlessly ranting on filling the thread with garbage you have to sift through.

Cool how this thread has devolved into if you haven’t fallen in love with the new bike you are either an idiot, terrible rider or both. Ha, all from ppl who haven’t even been on her...like who gives a crap.
Again, there's people in the thread actually having ridden the bike giving their opinions only to be "educated" about how bad the bike is with a 19" wheel etc by people that haven't put a leg over it yet. So your statement that it's all from people that haven't been on the bike is bull.

Doesn't help when people like you continually present opinions as fact, like in your ending sentence.
Anyways in the end all the reviews and fanboys in the world don’t help a bike that ugly...
Guess what. Not everyone thinks the bike looks ugly so maybe practice what you preach and let people have their own opinions.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There's really nothing left to say, on either side. This thread became people in two opposing camps talking past each other 20+ pages ago.

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
166 Posts
The difference is one side is critiquing the bike and the other side is attacking the individual. And yet on and on you all go so yeah nothing more to discuss is certainly accurate.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've ridden it. I shared my opinion.
Both myself and my business were personally criticized, so forgive me if I don't buy into that narrative.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,516 (Edited)
As the initial starter of this now very long thread, I have a few observations and some feedback to share:

1. I originally joined this forum to interact and share information with other Ducati fans. I come here TO ESCAPE the back & forth political crap that has invaded nearly every other part of society. I’d like to engage in productive info exchange here for the passion we all share (in varying degrees) for Ducati, its great lineup of bikes, and its brand.
2. I appreciate EVERYONE’S opinions, especially those based in fact and direct experience. Sure, we can all have subjective views of the aesthetics of this new V4, its expected performance, and how it meets or fails to meet certain expectations we have for it. I have my opinions on the bike, but I’m also reserving the right to amend my opinion once I’ve ridden it. As I’m sure most everyone else here will do as well. And I especially appreciate hearing from those who’ve actually ridden the new V4, be it from moto-journalists, YouTubers, and the forum member here who’s been lucky to grab a ride before most of us. I think I’m smart enough to make the determination of what’s genuine and what’s BS, and I assume you are too.

Given how this thread has devolved into personal criticisms or ad hominem insults, I’d like to ask the following:

1. Let’s please keep our opinions and observations FOCUSED ON THE BIKE, Ducati the manufacturer, and related issues. Let’s NOT allow ourselves to carry our differing opinions on the message to the messenger delivering it. In other words, discuss/debate the idea, not the person delivering it. I will assume good intent from anyone who comes here to further our collective understanding and knowledge of this new bike.

In short, let’s all contribute here with the Golden Rule in mind. I’ll treat you all with the respect as the experienced riders & owners that you are and the valuable info you can share. I hope you can do the same for me & others here. Let’s all strive to do better & be better this year. 2020 was bad enough that we don’t need less of us this year.

Thank you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I never said they were lying. However, they are certainly not highlighting the valued features that previous Multstrada owners liked.

Where's your sense of humor?
Just having some fun here. :)
The thing that I find a bit off-putting about the several reviews I have watched and read is exactly this. They seem to be going out of their way to review the bike exclusively in the context of an all road ADV, which is exactly the context that Ducati put them in on the launch ride. The reviews seem to shy away from answering the question of how it is as road-focused sport-tourer. The 44 Teeth review hints a little bit in this direction, but basically say it handles great "for a bike that does so well off road..."

I could care less how it compares to a GS or Vstrom or any other bike I have no interest in owning. I want to see it compared straight up for on-road handling with the S1000XR and the Superduke GT. I am guessing it comes up well short versus both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The thing that I find a bit off-putting about the several reviews I have watched and read is exactly this. They seem to be going out of their way to review the bike exclusively in the context of an all road ADV, which is exactly the context that Ducati put them in on the launch ride. The reviews seem to shy away from answering the question of how it is as road-focused sport-tourer. The 44 Teeth review hints a little bit in this direction, but basically say it handles great "for a bike that does so well off road..."

I could care less how it compares to a GS or Vstrom or any other bike I have no interest in owning. I want to see it compared straight up for on-road handling with the S1000XR and the Superduke GT. I am guessing it comes up well short versus both.
You are most likely correct in that it will not compare to the S1000XR or the SD GT on the road. I can understand the disappointment if that is what you are looking for the new generation Multi to be. From my perspective as a possible new adventure bike owner this seems to be EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I am a Harley Road Glide owner that has yet to find the bike that makes me feel good about going to something else. I have been researching adventure bikes for the better part of 3 years and have taken numerous test rides on almost every model. I've taken numerous MS rides and never really fell in love with it. I had at one point narrowed down my search to the R1250GS and the KTM Super ADV. Loved the overall ride of the GS but wanted the power of the Super ADV. When HD announced they were coming out with the Pan America I said that may be the one. Now then Ducati introduced the V4 Multi and as soon as I started seeing the videos and reading the reviews I have fallen in love with it. Now that may all change once I go ride it so we will see but right now it seems to be the perfect mix of on and off road and power that I've been wanting. But then I'm not a die hard MS rider that is in love with the current platform. In all honesty I would love to have the 2012 PP that I went and test rode a few weeks ago but only as my second bike. It is not what I want as my only bike. If the new V4 turns out to be what I think t is it will be the mistress that causes me to divorce my Harley Road Glide.

1501 - 1520 of 1643 Posts