Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
921 - 940 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
157 Posts
I’m hoping people do buy them....and at the very least the early adopters will provide others with real-world impressions and iron out the kinks before others consider taking the plunge. I try to avoid first model years and had assumed it would be a relatively safe endeavour when the V4 Multi finally arrived....but given this is essentially an entirely new bike (motor included), fall 2021 is the absolute earliest I’d roll the dice. Waiting until then would likely lead to end of season “deals” as well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
The answer.... NOPE! Offer the wire wheels with the "Enduro" package or something. Geeze.

And for the love of the lord bring a non-radar version to North America. (S trim or higher)
Actually, you can buy the non-radar version by simply not paying for it to be enabled once the US certification is approved. Otherwise it’s a special order for the base model which won’t sell much in the US.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #925
I bet they announce a “dark stealth” (blacked out) version of the Monster. Seems to be all the rage these days...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
Some new first-person video capture of the Multi V4. Check out this first video, and see how the guy makes panniers swing left & right on their frame holds. Does this seem normal/right?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I seem to recall Triumph had a similar shifting pannier and/or top case system years ago. I also seem to recall it was recalled and/or discontinued as well. I get the concept, but it strikes me as just one more thing to go wrong. That's a whole lot of fix for a problem that I doubt many riders knew they ever had. Whatever. (???)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Is it wrong that I’m more excited about the 2021 Tracer 900? Price is up, but so are the features, and it’s still a bargain!
View attachment 996897
The more I look at this bike, the more I like it. They even lowered the seat height from last year which is another plus as I get older and a little less confident managing the weight of motorcycles. No, it doesn't have that Ducati charm, but it strikes me as a solid, reliable, easy plug-and-play replacement bike for my 2012 MTS. A very viable option for me. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #929
The more I look at this bike, the more I like it. They even lowered the seat height from last year which is another plus as I get older and a little less confident managing the weight of motorcycles. No, it doesn't have that Ducati charm, but it strikes me as a solid, reliable, easy plug-and-play replacement bike for my 2012 MTS. A very viable option for me. Ride safe all.
Same for me. 99% certain I’m buying it. Deposit going in next week. Planning for a March/April pickup.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #930
I seem to recall Triumph had a similar shifting pannier and/or top case system years ago. I also seem to recall it was recalled and/or discontinued as well. I get the concept, but it strikes me as just one more thing to go wrong. That's a whole lot of fix for a problem that I doubt many riders knew they ever had. Whatever. (???)
I suppose there’s a technical reason or benefit for the panniers to shift like that? Or not. Having spend enough time on USAF cargo planes, I know that everything must be tied down tight to avoid shifting the center of gravity. I’d assume the same concept applies here— don’t want those panniers shifting left & right through leaning turns and messing up the CG of the bike mid-turn... 😳

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #934
THE SOUND OF THE NEW V4:
found this video. Fast forward to 1:55 to hear the new engine with Akropovic exhaust

·
Registered
360 Posts
I suppose there’s a technical reason or benefit for the panniers to shift like that? Or not. Having spend enough time on USAF cargo planes, I know that everything must be tied down tight to avoid shifting the center of gravity. I’d assume the same concept applies here— don’t want those panniers shifting left & right through leaning turns and messing up the CG of the bike mid-turn... 😳
KTM have similar. It's to ease pressure on boxes at speed. They don't flop around, takes some force to make them move.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you haven't ridden a GS or a Vstrom aggressively in the curves, please do so. Do so right after riding the same road on any '10-14 Multistrada 1200. If you can't feel the difference and don't like the Multistrada 1200 better, then we probably share little in common in what we seek out of motorcycling. That's fine. Everyone should ride their own ride and ride what they like. I hope the industry continues to offer the bikes everyone likes to ride. When it doesn't, I will sympathize with your plight rather than tell you to ignore physics or to change your metrics and preferences.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing 19” front wheels showing up on MotoGP and WSBK bikes. After all, they’re pretty much the same for grip and handling characteristics, apparently. :rolleyes:
FFS go and ride an FJR1300 some time. Runs on 17s, and even uses tyre profiles almost identical to the Multi 17s.

Steers like a barge compared with a Multi 12 and even compared with a Wethead GS. The first time I tipped one into a corner I nearly ran off the road.

If that bike were my reference for 17s, I’d buy nothing that had them.

Unless a light switched on in my mind and I thought to myself that other bikes might do different things on the same wheels and tyres.

Lets turn around the MotoGP analogy: if they did build a MotoGP bike with a 19-in front, it would turn in way quicker and feel way better mid-corner than a Multi on 17s.

People are obsessing about wheel size while ignoring the elephant in the room: the Multi is way taller than it needs to be for tarmac only use, and when you climb onto it after riding a proper sporty road bike it feels like you’ve taken command of a supertanker.

All that extra suspension lets you run soft springs that will ride a bit smoother on really rough roads. And that is all it does. The price is huge amounts of pitch under brakes and no capacity to restore ride height with a passenger (as anyone who tried riding two-up on the original bike with its 85 rear spring will attest).

Skyhook bikes have run an 85-130 progressive that lets you carry a passenger without feeling like you’ve attached a caravan. Great, except that solo you wont use or need all that travel. It’s stilts for the fun of it.

Skyhook at the front helps control the brake dive but there’s a better solution for tarmac: run a road-bike spring rate and shorten the travel.

I know I know ... “the Multi is the best sport-tourer out here and we want 17s”.

I’m sympathetic. If I didn’t think Ducati had a more tarmac-focused sport tourer in the pipeline I’d agree it should do a version with 17s, just so people felt happy.

I suspect they’ve looked at the engineering principles involved and concluded a bike like the Multi is wasting potential unless it runs the wheels that they’ve put on the new one.

On a less argumentative note - thanks Hoodoo for posting that video from the Dutch guys. Could be that rider is a giant but he sure makes the V4 look compact.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm also sure it'll be an awesome bike, no doubt Ducati made their home work and it will be better than current model, people just don't know it yet.

And those whining about a company evolving can buy a Harley FLH and keep it 50 years.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #938
FFS go and ride an FJR1300 some time. Runs on 17s, and even uses tyre profiles almost identical to the Multi 17s.

Steers like a barge compared with a Multi 12 and even compared with a Wethead GS. The first time I tipped one into a corner I nearly ran off the road.

If that bike were my reference for 17s, I’d buy nothing that had them.

Unless a light switched on in my mind and I thought to myself that other bikes might do different things on the same wheels and tyres.

Lets turn around the MotoGP analogy: if they did build a MotoGP bike with a 19-in front, it would turn in way quicker and feel way better mid-corner than a Multi on 17s.

People are obsessing about wheel size while ignoring the elephant in the room: the Multi is way taller than it needs to be for tarmac only use, and when you climb onto it after riding a proper sporty road bike it feels like you’ve taken command of a supertanker.

All that extra suspension lets you run soft springs that will ride a bit smoother on really rough roads. And that is all it does. The price is huge amounts of pitch under brakes and no capacity to restore ride height with a passenger (as anyone who tried riding two-up on the original bike with its 85 rear spring will attest).

Skyhook bikes have run an 85-130 progressive that lets you carry a passenger without feeling like you’ve attached a caravan. Great, except that solo you wont use or need all that travel. It’s stilts for the fun of it.

Skyhook at the front helps control the brake dive but there’s a better solution for tarmac: run a road-bike spring rate and shorten the travel.

I know I know ... “the Multi is the best sport-tourer out here and we want 17s”.

I’m sympathetic. If I didn’t think Ducati had a more tarmac-focused sport tourer in the pipeline I’d agree it should do a version with 17s, just so people felt happy.

I suspect they’ve looked at the engineering principles involved and concluded a bike like the Multi is wasting potential unless it runs the wheels that they’ve put on the new one.

On a less argumentative note - thanks Hoodoo for posting that video from the Dutch guys. Could be that rider is a giant but he sure makes the V4 look compact.
That Dutch guy was 7 foot 4 inches... 😜

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
157 Posts
THE SOUND OF THE NEW V4:
found this video. Fast forward to 1:55 to hear the new engine with Akropovic exhaust
That Euro 4/5 makes everything so quiet....and they’ve even made removable baffles a challenge 😞

921 - 940 of 966 Posts