Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
901 - 920 of 968 Posts

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT
105 Posts
@HoodooGuru i think I’d like it more if they blacked out that red frame on the rear of the bike. But to me that red frame looks like utter trash. I swear if you just sent me that picture in all black color scheme and you didn’t know what brand it was beforehand I’d want to guess it was a BMW

Reactions: dharma

·
Sophomore Member
3,040 Posts
Nice photos, but I still don’t like the looks. But then again, I think all Multistradas are ugly with having owned 2 different generations. I also think every form of the Diavel is hideous. Remember when Ducati used some big named designers? I know Terblanche designed the first Mutlistrada, but I think we can all agree that was a miss. But his efforts on the first gen Hyper and the SCs resulted in beautiful bikes. And then there is Tamburini. I feel like Ducati is just getting by with minor revisions to all of their bikes instead of designing something new. I point to the V4 Pani looking very similar to the 1199/1299 only to be followed by the SS looking like the 1199/1299 too. The new SS has taken on V4 Pani cues. In short- Ducati, you have a long line of designing beautiful bikes. Step up your game!!!

Reactions: dharma

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the new V4 S needs a little more love here... I'm digging these new beauty shots, courtesy of my super-secret-special access to Ducati media:
Looks were a secondary factor when I bought both of my Multistradas. If I work hard to ignore all the evidence of its other design missteps, I will admit that the aesthetics are alright. Maybe one person on the design team deserves to keep their job. :sneaky:

I do think it's a bit ironic how they are trying to trick the eye to make you think this is a bike with a trellis frame. They conceal as much of the perimeter frame as they can with the bodywork and make that all run together and paint it black. Meanwhile, they use a token rear trellis subframe that is painted bright red to catch your eye. I'll give it credit, it does work fairly well. That being said the fact that the one Ducati touchstone that is maintained is somewhat a trick of the eye is perhaps unintentionally revealing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't think the Multistrada can be a truly attractive bike, not in the same vein as a Panigale. The design features of the ADV style bike prohibit it, and in fact none of them are particularly great to look at, regardless of who made it. The old Multistrada did a better job than the rest of being a sexy ADV bike.

The new one looks like a BMW, especially the windscreen. I've no doubt that screen works better, not a high bar to cross, but did they have to so brazenly copy BMWs design language in doing so? It's a deliberately utilitarian look, they've decided to embrace the ADV aesthetic with the only nod to sport being the headlight. Not talking about performance, just appearance. It doesn't work for me, but like anything subjective it'll have it's fans.

·
Bon Vivant
10,992 Posts
I've been skipping through this thread but I haven't read through the whole thing. I think it's hilarious that many of you think that a 170 rear tire and a 19" front wheel are going to somehow make the bike less capable for sporty use. Beleive me it will still be more capable in the twisties than 99% of us...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been skipping through this thread but I haven't read through the whole thing. I think it's hilarious that many of you think that a 170 rear tire and a 19" front wheel are going to somehow make the bike less capable for sporty use. Beleive me it will still be more capable in the twisties than 99% of us...
Not sure about the others, but it is certainly my case.... the V4S outbikes me by miles!

·
Registered
371 Posts
There are quite a few people on this forum who routinely trackday their MTS. I'm sure a few have even used slicks on them. Prior to this model, Ducati spent 10 years marketing the Multi as a racing bike, the highest end version of the bike was sold as a showroom replica of the Pikes Peak race bikes. Even for the non-Pikes versions, the dealerships sold this model on the fact that it was just as at home on a racetrack as it was on a twisty road. Now, it's a bike you couldn't put slicks on if you wanted to.

WIll this impact most owners? No. But Ducati is an aspirational brand, people buy Ducati motorcycles as much because of what they dream about doing with them, as what they'll actually use them for. If that were not so, Ducati would sell a couple dozen Panigales a year. The lack of ability to fit proper track tires to the bike matters. It's an indication that they've decided to leave behind part of the original audience the MTS was marketed towards. It's not unreasonable for people to be upset about that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
I'd say there are some aesthetics I like about this new bike and others I don't. I actually like the red subframe, which pays homage to the Ducati "trellis brand" and gives it a pop of needed color to balance the red of the tank & fairing at the front. I don't like the casting color of the engine which looks like primer paint vs a distinct color like a black or strong gray as we see on other models. And I'm still undecided on the "shark gills" on each side which seems to be a necessary design choice for function (directing hot air) vs form. I did look closely at those and see pretty large fans inside them, like what you might see at the back of a gaming PC sucking out the hot air from the cabinet. I will reserve further judgment until I can see it in person and sit on it, as I recall other cars/bikes that looked ok in photos but were far more compelling in person. Hoping that's the case for this new V4 S. 🤞

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looking at the pictures above I noticed something I hadn't in the beginning: they've opted for a similar solution than Calsci for the windscreen, with a hole in the middle to allow air to pass and reduce the turbulence generated by the difference in pressure behind the screen - that causes the noise an buffeting. Interesting.....

They have also changed the windscreen support structure, AGAIN, so it will not be easy to adapt this new screen to the existing Multis, assuming it does address the buffeting/noise issue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #914
Looking at the pictures above I noticed something I hadn't in the beginning: they've opted for a similar solution than Calsci for the windscreen, with a hole in the middle to allow air to pass and reduce the turbulence generated by the difference in pressure behind the screen - that causes the noise an buffeting. Interesting.....

They have also changed the windscreen support structure, AGAIN, so it will not be easy to adapt this new screen to the existing Multis, assuming it does address the buffeting/noise issue.
Here are other shots of the windscreen to look closer. I did confirm with a dealer that those "side wings" are not adjustable, only the raising/lowering of the screen similar to the current 1260:

·
Registered
242 Posts
This has always been an incredibly nonsensical argument. Every bike is more capable than 99.999% of us.

Marc Marquez would lap me if we were both on KLR 650s. If Marquez can ride that KLR (MUCH) faster than me, than obviously it has capabilities that are beyond my riding abilities. The KLR 650 is obviously "more capable in the twisties" than me. Since I am not able to tame the beastly KLR650 and its 40 hp, I guess it is beyond me.

I might as well go back to riding my first bike. It had <10 horsepower, but I'm pretty sure Marquez can ride that faster than me as well, so no need for me to upgrade until I use 100% of its capabilities. Since I can't ride that 99cc beast to its full potential, I obviously won't get any advantage out of a bike with more horsepower, torque, better chassis dynamics or non-knobbie tires. Physics is completely irrelevant to this discussion. If I can't get 100%/Marquez level performance out of my bike, engine or chassis changes are obviously wasted on me. :rolleyes:

Beyond measurable performance, there is also experience and feel. I might be able to ride bike A as fast as I can bike B, but bike A might be lot more work to go that pace and never quite make me feel as comfortable or confident. I also may just not like it.

If you haven't ridden a GS or a Vstrom aggressively in the curves, please do so. Do so right after riding the same road on any '10-14 Multistrada 1200. If you can't feel the difference and don't like the Multistrada 1200 better, then we probably share little in common in what we seek out of motorcycling. That's fine. Everyone should ride their own ride and ride what they like. I hope the industry continues to offer the bikes everyone likes to ride. When it doesn't, I will sympathize with your plight rather than tell you to ignore physics or to change your metrics and preferences.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
This has always been an incredibly nonsensical argument. Every bike is more capable than 99.999% of us.

Marc Marquez would lap me if we were both on KLR 650s. If Marquez can ride that KLR (MUCH) faster than me, than obviously it has capabilities that are beyond my riding abilities. The KLR 650 is obviously "more capable in the twisties" than me. Since I am not able to tame the beastly KLR650 and its 40 hp, I guess it is beyond me.

I might as well go back to riding my first bike. It had <10 horsepower, but I'm pretty sure Marquez can ride that faster than me as well, so no need for me to upgrade until I use 100% of its capabilities. Since I can't ride that 99cc beast to its full potential, I obviously won't get any advantage out of a bike with more horsepower, torque, better chassis dynamics or non-knobbie tires. Physics is completely irrelevant to this discussion. If I can't get 100%/Marquez level performance out of my bike, engine or chassis changes are obviously wasted on me. :rolleyes:

Beyond measurable performance, there is also experience and feel. I might be able to ride bike A as fast as I can bike B, but bike A might be lot more work to go that pace and never quite make me feel as comfortable or confident. I also may just not like it.

If you haven't ridden a GS or a Vstrom aggressively in the curves, please do so. Do so right after riding the same road on any '10-14 Multistrada 1200. If you can't feel the difference and don't like the Multistrada 1200 better, then we probably share little in common in what we seek out of motorcycling. That's fine. Everyone should ride their own ride and ride what they like. I hope the industry continues to offer the bikes everyone likes to ride. When it doesn't, I will sympathize with your plight rather than tell you to ignore physics or to change your metrics and preferences.
Physics schmysics... I'm pretty sure a Honda Gold Wing would feel the same as that KLR 650... 😜

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would it have killed Ducati to offer the bike with a 19" spoked front wheel and a 17" cast/forged wheel?
The answer.... NOPE! Offer the wire wheels with the "Enduro" package or something. Geeze.

And for the love of the lord bring a non-radar version to North America. (S trim or higher)

901 - 920 of 968 Posts