Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
881 - 900 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's interesting, to me at least, that Ducati has not addressed the controversy around this launch at all. Not as if the debate is only raging on this forum, it's on every Ducati forum, Facebook group, etc. So they surely know the new bike is being met with mixed reactions. They could earn themselves a lot of goodwill by just saying "Hey folks, our heritage is racing. If you have doubts, take a test ride next year and see for yourself, we think you'll be impressed."
You raise a great point. If the criticisms being raised missed the mark and the bike was a on-road sporty as ever, it would seem that Ducati would be releasing videos of Michele Pirro sliding the V4S around a test track somewhere. The fact that we haven't seen that, couple with the spec sheet and every single ounce of Ducati's own ad copy on the matter suggests that this has caught Ducati flat-footed.
Ducati designed and marketed this bike as a more versatile bike than its predecessor, particularly off road. That's not me talking, that is literally everything the company has said on the subject. Why some people still seem to think it will offer improved on-road handling is beyond me. Ducati themselves are not saying this. It's simply irrational to believe that Ducati just forgot to mention this.
I'm not just looking at a spec sheet, I'm taking Ducati at their own word. They are telling us what this bike is and I am listening. What I am hearing described is a bike I am not interested in. Like others, I will test ride and be ready to be proven wrong, but don't expect that to happen.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
Update on Multistrada V4 pre-orders:

I have spoke directly to numerous Ducati dealers in the past few days, including two of the bigger (if not biggest) Ducati dealers in the Western USA. So far, one of those dealers has 1 pre-order, and the other has 0 pre-orders. Given we are two weeks past one of the the biggest new model launches for Ducati, this does not inspire confidence that this new V4 is hitting its mark. Most dealers seem to be allocated between 3-6 units for this V4 model, but it doesn't appear there is significant demand yet to fill these orders.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone expect any major changes to be announced to the Monster lineup? I like the look the the new Supersport but I was hoping for the Panigale V2 engine...rather than the current 110 HP...two more Ducati episodes to go but other than the V4 Multistrada it all looks about the same unless someone has additional info...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does anyone expect any major changes to be announced to the Monster lineup? I like the look the the new Supersport but I was hoping for the Panigale V2 engine...rather than the current 110 HP...two more Ducati episodes to go but other than the V4 Multistrada it all looks about the same unless someone has additional info...

Edit, I found the article (link below) I saw an article a couple of months ago that forecasted updates to the Monster 821. It actually looks like a replacement for the 821 or a new model to be sold alongside the 821 and 1200 in the liquid cooled range.
My guess is it will get the 937/950 engine in the SS and Hypermotard. It is reportedly getting a new frame as well.

Here's the article:
Three New Ducatis Headed Our Way In 2021

·
Registered
231 Posts
You raise a great point. If the criticisms being raised missed the mark and the bike was a on-road sporty as ever, it would seem that Ducati would be releasing videos of Michele Pirro sliding the V4S around a test track somewhere. The fact that we haven't seen that, couple with the spec sheet and every single ounce of Ducati's own ad copy on the matter suggests that this has caught Ducati flat-footed.
Ducati designed and marketed this bike as a more versatile bike than its predecessor, particularly off road. That's not me talking, that is literally everything the company has said on the subject. Why some people still seem to think it will offer improved on-road handling is beyond me. Ducati themselves are not saying this. It's simply irrational to believe that Ducati just forgot to mention this.
I'm not just looking at a spec sheet, I'm taking Ducati at their own word. They are telling us what this bike is and I am listening. What I am hearing described is a bike I am not interested in. Like others, I will test ride and be ready to be proven wrong, but don't expect that to happen.
(y) This

I think the complaints could be viewed as Ducati not doing what people here expected/wanted. But in reality Ducati have done what they said they'd do. Time will tell whether Ducti made the right call.
Ultimately still possible to deliver a 17" version down the line.......as the did in the opposite direction with the Enduro model

Reactions: potomacduc

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #891
Edit, I found the article (link below) I saw an article a couple of months ago that forecasted updates to the Monster 821. It actually looks like a replacement for the 821 or a new model to be sold alongside the 821 and 1200 in the liquid cooled range.
My guess is it will get the 937/950 engine in the SS and Hypermotard. It is reportedly getting a new frame as well.

Here's the article:
1803 Project is a new water-cooled Monster model for 2021. Spy pictures have previously revealed that the firm is working on a new, aluminum-framed Monster, expected to replace the 821, and this is likely to be 1803 Project.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Here's the article:
Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
1803 Project is a new water-cooled Monster model for 2021. Spy pictures have previously revealed that the firm is working on a new, aluminum-framed Monster, expected to replace the 821, and this is likely to be 1803 Project.
The death of the steel trellis frame continues.:(
Is the new frame about improved performance or cost-cutting?

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Reactions: tenn_bate

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'b bet it's a trade-off for both-- cheaper to manufacture and likely lighter/stronger than the previous frame
Ducati has been decrying the negative aspects of the trellis frame ever since the first Panigale. Meanwhile their racing program goes backwards and KTM comes from nowhere to win two races with...trellis frames.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
I think the new V4 S needs a little more love here... I'm digging these new beauty shots, courtesy of my super-secret-special access to Ducati media:

881 - 900 of 966 Posts