Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
3601 - 3619 of 3619 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Glad you found them! Good stuff!

My bike is still disabled and dealer is working with Italy to get the dash out of the boot loop and upgraded. No MTS for me for a while. #sadpanda
FYI I had a V4 mulit lose the dash intermittently. Turned out power connector not pushed home correctly. Mechanic heard a click when he pushed it..problem gone

·
Registered
47 Posts
2 Rear bank cylinders. I have attempted to detect the deactivation at several stop lights. I do not notice them going off, then back on. I know the control unit has to have certain conditions before it will deactivate. I was at the latter part of my ride so I would think all of the conditions were met. I put it in neutral at the red light. I did not see any noticeable change in rpm, feel the change, or hear it. On a car I have it is noticeable as the whole motor shuts down, and there is a visible indicator on the tach. I have not seen anything on the dash that would indicate they’re going off. Maybe the deactivation occurs after a longer stop- several minutes? Has anyone noticed the cylinders going off, and the conditions when they do?

·
Registered
471 Posts
The owner's manual says there's a "battery maintenance connector" under the seat - before i go digging for it, is this a battery tender connector? Has anyone looked into this yet, and/or wired the connector out the side to hook up to a battery tender without undoing the seats?

The manual states that it should be hooked up to an "Official Ducati Battery Power Manager" which I think might be a rebranded optimate? I was going to use it for my regular deltran battery tender, but I'll install the new lead connector for that if I must?

·
Super Moderator
5,509 Posts
My dealer hooks up SAE pigtails to all the bikes. Said the Ducati branded unit wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
141 Posts
FYI I had a V4 mulit lose the dash intermittently. Turned out power connector not pushed home correctly. Mechanic heard a click when he pushed it..problem gone
This was not it. It was a dashboard V20 upgrade failure that had to be remedied by Italy patching their diagnostics software and sending it out to the dealer. Once the diagnostics software patch was downloaded my dash was flashed and works fine.

The owner's manual says there's a "battery maintenance connector" under the seat - before i go digging for it, is this a battery tender connector? Has anyone looked into this yet, and/or wired the connector out the side to hook up to a battery tender without undoing the seats?

The manual states that it should be hooked up to an "Official Ducati Battery Power Manager" which I think might be a rebranded optimate? I was going to use it for my regular deltran battery tender, but I'll install the new lead connector for that if I must?
What @mlukason said. My dealer did the same thing so I can just use a regular good old Battery Tender. I have not seen the Ducati unique connector under the seat but I also wasn't looking for one either.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Mine has the standard battery tender ring terminal adapter also. I just routed it out the left side so the seat does not need to come off.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
279 Posts

Yes propriety hookup. I have the charger I bought off amazon. SAE is faster and more convenient if only bc you don't have to remove the seat if you pigtail hangs out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on how to top up the coolant? I had a small spill offroad which lead to a bunch of coolant leaking out. I've topped up through the radiator cap but it only went to the Min level on the overflow tank and after that I couldn't fill it anymore.
I tried to remove the airbox cover to see if there was a direct opening into the overflow tank but I didn't see it, so didn't go through with the complete removal. I have 600 mile service scheduled next week so the dealer will take care of it, but would like to know anyways.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on how to top up the coolant? I had a small spill offroad which lead to a bunch of coolant leaking out. I've topped up through the radiator cap but it only went to the Min level on the overflow tank and after that I couldn't fill it anymore.
I tried to remove the airbox cover to see if there was a direct opening into the overflow tank but I didn't see it, so didn't go through with the complete removal. I have 600 mile service scheduled next week so the dealer will take care of it, but would like to know anyways.
No offense intended, but this might get better traction and help more people now and in the future if posted as a separate thread.
To be less of an a**hole, my past and current Ducatis have all filled from the reservoir/expansion tank. Generally on the right side of steering head; small black cap on top. Funnel helps a lot. If it's anywhere above Min it should have sufficient fluid.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you loose coolant from the expansion tank while the engine is hot, then allow it to cool down before replenishing the expansion tank the system will suck in air. Then you will have to top it up at the actual radiator cap. then fill the expansion tank to the specified level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I will leave it as is for now then since it’s slightly above min and have the dealer replenish it next week at the 600 mile service

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
51 Posts
Givi has a very nice rack that fits nicely on top of the Ducati top box. Its part# S150 and costs about $65. Its plastic and has a very ingenious universal mounting system. Took me about an hour to install it. Here are couple of photos.

givi2.JPG

Marc givi2.JPG givi3.JPG

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
As mentioned by others, fuel economy does seem to improve with a little bit of mileage. I spent a couple of days riding up from San Diego, Califorina to Elko, Nevada taking non-interstate highways. The bike had me plus about 60 pounds (who am I kidding, probably 80 pounds) of gear on the back. I must be about 220 in my gear.

I was easily achieving 40 MPG per tank. Here’s the catch. I was doing a lot of pretty steady riding of sustained speeds of about 65-70. Most was in elevation above 4,000 feet (I don’t know if that matters). But, I didn’t see much of a drop cruising around curves at higher elevation along Califorina Highways 120, 108, 4, 49 at 8,000 elevations with multiple 9,000 summits. Sustained 70 plus miles an hour for very long periods of time along Nevada’s Hwy 50 netted similar results.

In three days of riding a total of 1,150 miles, the lowest MPG I got was over 38 and the highest was over 43 per tank as measured by dividing the miles traveled by the fuel added. This was between 3,600 and 4,767 total miles on the bike.

Now for the bad news: After about 600 miles of slow dirt road riding along the Nevada and Idaho BDR (Back county Discovery Route, I am getting about 29-32 MPG, To be fair, I am not as confident on dirt as I like and the route takes you up and down and up and down and up and down a lot of mountains with tights switchbacks, so I’ve spend a lot of time in first and second gears.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
279 Posts
Great info and beautiful area!! Keep the info and pics coming! Any issues with finding fuel?

·
Registered
113 Posts
@WmDaniel Thanks for the fuel economy information. For comparison I just completed a 2750 mi trip on my Multistrada 1260 S up to Montana. I averaged over 50 mpg on my last 10 tanks of gasoline. The final legs tanks on I-15 cruising at 80 mph and still getting 50 mpg.

3601 - 3619 of 3619 Posts