Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
3341 - 3360 of 3416 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I think you accidentally left the telephoto zoom lens on your camera.
Actually, that is HG showing us what his Triple Black Edition Diavel looks like at midnight during a total lunar eclipse in Barrow, Alaska during their 24 hours of darkness season.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks fellas... here she is:

2021 Ducati Diavel 1260S

More details to follow with all the details on my process & thinking coming to this bike, how this magical deal came to pass (including huge thanks to members on this very forum who helped make it happen) along with photos once this devil is in my driveway any day now...
Beautiful bike. Congrats. So you went from a tour / off road capable bike with windscreen to a cruiser? Would have been good to know your requirements were basically a new Ducati vs any functional requirements.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,343 ·
Hey fellas-

Not meaning to hijack this very Multistrada V4 thread I started way back in the dark ages, but I thought I'd share how I ultimately landed on this 2021 Ducati Diavel 1260S:

1. My "journey" to Ducati started in 2010 when I first came across the initial announcement of the new Diavel. I had never been interested in cruisers (& no longer want the discomfort of a sport bike), and certainly had ZERO interest in that "Harley crowd" and culture typically associated with cruisers (middle-aged dentists who dress up like pirates on the weekends lol). I've always been a bit of a contrarian (like some of you here I'm sure) and never wanted a bike that everyone else had, like the Honda I once rode. Both Ducati and this sexy new Diavel represented an exclusivity and uniqueness to me not found in any other bike on the market. Even to this day, the market can't quite define this bike-- and I love that.

2. Fast forward over 10 years and my obsession for Ducati never waned much (despite protestations from my significant other). Basically, life got in the way of my pursuit of owning a Ducati bike that I know I'd enjoy riding here in Utah. I did start test riding other models, including the XDiavel, the Multi 1200, Multi 1260, and eventually had my heart set on the Multi V4 given my enthusiasm for it as the bike that could/should do everything I needed. Yet, despite my logical brain telling me the Multistrada is the more "practical" bike, my emotional brain still finds the Diavel as a beautiful & unique piece of Italian art that also happens to go as fast as blazes. It's not the bike I "need"-- it is the bike I "WANT"!

3. When my deal and my dealings for my new Multistrada V4S went sideways, I was tempted to tell Ducati to F off and go with another brand altogether. Yet, that damn Diavel kept tugging at me, tempting me as the devil will do... there really aren't other motorcycle brands/models that captivate me as much, but I also didn't want to deal with another headache in buying a new bike from a Ducati dealer that again failed to live up to its set expectations. And frankly, after talking to far too many dealers, GMs, sales reps, service reps, and more I pretty much expected to be fully disappointed in trying to acquire a new Ducati bike from any dealer.

4. Then, the magical moment happened-- a member of this very forum (thank you @TXSailor!) tipped me off to a bike literally just listed that day as I was sharing my interest in the Diavel with him. This Facebook-listed bike was indeed a 2021 Ducati Diavel 1260S purchased in December and barely ridden (less than 500 miles!) when the owner (younger guy) realized he wanted/needed to get out of that bike. And get this, he also invested a ton of money in mods/upgrades, including:
  • XPel Protection film
  • Ceramic coating
  • Evotech Radiator Guard
  • Custom LED lighting system (for tail brake/turn lights)
  • Tail tidy (from NRC)
  • Speedo Angels dash protection film
  • Rizoma Fork Slider
  • Rizoma Frame plugs
and even included in the deal:
  • Bike Cover
  • Pitbull rear stand
And again, this bike was barely ridden, included all the mods I'd want to add to it, and was available to me for sale right now (instead of waiting months for any new Ducati model I'd want). So we did a video call to review the bike (it was pristine), I made the offer for a price at a significant discount of its expected market value (he gulped), and then... the seller went dark on me. Almost for a week... 😳

...but then, he came back with a very insubstantial increase in his counter price, and we agreed to the deal that night. So this bike, as new, would likely cost well over $27k before adding dealer markups (prep/doc fees), etc. And lucky for me, I was able to close this deal for FAR less than its its expected price-- as in, deal-of-a-lifetime-that-you-cannot-pass-up-or-you-will-regret-forever kind of price. 🤑😁👏👍

So, this bike arrives to my home on Monday and I'll be sure to share photos of this beautiful machine once it's finally here and it's finally real for me after 10 years.

Thanks again to this forum and the many great members here who've shared this journey along the way with great information, fun insights, biting sarcasm, good humor, and all around entertainment that's made this an enjoyable distraction from the occasional boring doldrums of life. And what else I can say is that once this bike is finally in my hands, you might see a little bit less of me here because I'll be having too much fun out there riding on my new 2021 Ducati Diavel 1260S, catching up for years of missed miles of smiles.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
230 Posts
@HoodooGuru Time for you to get out of here as this is the Multi side of life🤣🤣🤣 And now you can ride out on your new bike hahaha! I'm disappointed though was hoping for a 2020 Grand Tour! Enjoy the bike bro and ride well!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just be warned, as I think I maybe mentioned previously, that the Diavel is a vicious bitch if you get sideways of it. 500-1000 mile nearly new Diavels come up for sale regularly. It's generally because the owner is a former/current sportbike owner, spent a few tanks of gas getting comfortable on the thing and forgot it wasn't a supersport on some corner they're familiar with. Let's just say that at near limit lean angles the Diavel has an appetite for it's riders feet, and I know two former Diavel owners who experienced the result one time, parked the bike and put a for sale sign on it the next day.

I'd still ride the hell out of one, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks fellas... here she is:

2021 Ducati Diavel 1260S
View attachment 1009542
More details to follow with all the details on my process & thinking coming to this bike, how this magical deal came to pass (including huge thanks to members on this very forum who helped make it happen) along with photos once this devil is in my driveway any day now...
Congrats on the bike. Looks awesome. And when the wife wants to “ butterfly”- tell her to take her time, you’ll be out for a ride.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just be warned, as I think I maybe mentioned previously, that the Diavel is a vicious bitch if you get sideways of it. 500-1000 mile nearly new Diavels come up for sale regularly. It's generally because the owner is a former/current sportbike owner, spent a few tanks of gas getting comfortable on the thing and forgot it wasn't a supersport on some corner they're familiar with. Let's just say that at near limit lean angles the Diavel has an appetite for it's riders feet, and I know two former Diavel owners who experienced the result one time, parked the bike and put a for sale sign on it the next day.

I'd still ride the hell out of one, though.
The Diavel is a cool bike. It handles better than you would expect, which is a blessing and a curse. I like to say that if you ever forget the Diavel’s clearance & handling limitations, it will remind you pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
214 Posts
FWIW....my Multi has been in the shop since April 5th waiting on a replacement part for the rear Ohlins. No ETA.

The BMW I ordered in February (for May delivery) finally arrived in Canada around May 26th. I’m still waiting for it to land at the dealer.

EVERYTHING is messed up right now. Container shortages, computer chip shortages, lumber shortages, backups at ports, etc.

On a positive note, BMW Canada is offering a small incentive to those that experience delays....so better than nothing!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,352 ·
162 pages to find out Hoodoo doesn’t want a Multi due to Ducati customer service....but ends up getting a Diavel?

Where is MY compensation? 😂😂😂
You misinterpreted me. I wanted the Multi V4, but Ducati wouldn’t let me have one. So I had to “settle” for the lowly, boring Diavel… 😜

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
214 Posts
You misinterpreted me. I wanted the Multi V4, but Ducati wouldn’t let me have one. So I had to “settle” for the lowly, boring Diavel… 😜
Not a bad choice at the end of the day! You avoid the 1st model year woes and always have the option of trading down the road!

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I love the seating position and looks of the Diavel, I decided against it because of the limited luggage capacity, but I wish I could afford it in addition to my Multi.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I love the seating position and looks of the Diavel, I decided against it because of the limited luggage capacity, but I wish I could afford it in addition to my Multi.
100% why I'm riding a Multi right now (well 95%, the other 5% was the warranty that came on my Multi vs the used 2014 Diavel Dark the dealer had)

Reactions: HoodooGuru

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The Diavel is the farthest thing from boring. It is not as practical as a Multistrada. Although the MS is not boring, the Diavel is way less boring.
I believe HG was just being funny/sarcastic about his new Diavel being boring, although HG can be hard to understand.

Not only is English his second and first language, but he's also known to start a huge-like-the-biggest-ever-on-this-forum Discussion about one motorcycle, but then buy another! 😆

He's also a jerk because I was perfectly content with my motorcycle, but now I find myself searching Craigslist for "Diavel"! Son of a ... 😆

3341 - 3360 of 3416 Posts