Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
2941 - 2960 of 3005 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,941 ·
I have one on order. I was told it would arrive in June. After seeing the video HoodooGuru just shared, I’ll call the dealer this week to see if that date has improved.
Hey @PJA when did you place your deposit/order? Curious as to the lead/wait time between order & delivery.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well here's some stiff competition for the new Multi according to 44Teeth:

Well apart from ugly factor there are two other things I don't like about recent KTMs.

1) There is no, long, rich history like Ducati has. That Ducati history equates to a much higher pride of ownership. Riding a Ducati is always special. If KTM ever reaches this level it will be long after I am gone.

2) Reliability. There have been a few recent big KTM ADV bikes with reliability issues. I also know they do a lot of manufacturing in China but that isn't to say Ducati does not. But at a higher price point I prefer a more home grown bike. Even the BMW F900XR leaves me a little bit cold. Early 750/850s (From a trusted BMW dealer) had issues with the Chinese made engines when they made a change BMW didn't authorize. Not to mention the Hayes brake fiasco, not to mention my horrendously unreliable BMW. Once major brands that used to be reliable start losing ground where do you go for a good bike? If anything, it looks like Ducati is trending upwards with the MTSV4 (yeah the valve seat/guide issue is a black eye so maybe I am trying to fly by flapping my arms) and I'd rather buy a bike from a manufactures on an upward trend than a downward one.

NC

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone seen a single test where a rider had the discipline to ride at a constant 60 mph for a tank of fuel to see what the "best" economy you can get is? I like to think that if you want to just cruise gently you can rely on 220+ miles per tank but I just haven't seen any proof of this yet. And yet all the tests with POV cameras clearly indicate the rider is focusing on sport and not touring.

NC

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,944 ·
Has anyone seen a single test where a rider had the discipline to ride at a constant 60 mph for a tank of fuel to see what the "best" economy you can get is? I like to think that if you want to just cruise gently you can rely on 220+ miles per tank but I just haven't seen any proof of this yet. And yet all the tests with POV cameras clearly indicate the rider is focusing on sport and not touring.

NC
Check the videos from Rich Dunn (linked above) and his buddy Jerry will recount various mileages achieved. I recall hearing over 200 miles as a likely range if ridden with a soft throttle. Also, another YouTuber Rembo has done some mileage videos that covers this.

·
Super Moderator
5,396 Posts
I walked into my dealer and just bought one on the spot a couple weeks ago. Out of the 4 or 5 he had, this was the only one not waiting for an engine replacement.

·
Registered
649 Posts
1) There is no, long, rich history like Ducati has. That Ducati history equates to a much higher pride of ownership. Riding a Ducati is always special. If KTM ever reaches this level it will be long after I am gone.
KTM does in fact have a "long, rich history" (whatever that actually means) it's just not as long as Ducati's. By that rationale we should all be riding Triumphs or Indians or Harleys.

Maybe you didn't actually watch the video, but I assure you Alistar Fagan has ridden and raced more bikes than you ever will, and he knows what special feels like.

2) Reliability. There have been a few recent big KTM ADV bikes with reliability issues.
You know there was a fairly significant engine failure recall for the Multi v4 right?

Ducati was never exactly a buy-word for quality until VAG/Audi took over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I walked into my dealer and just bought one on the spot a couple weeks ago. Out of the 4 or 5 he had, this was the only one not waiting for an engine replacement.
You walked into a Dealer in the US and bought a V4S SPORT?

From what many Ducati Dealers have told me, Ducati did not start the SPORT production until quite recently........ I'm not interested in "just" a V4S as they are quite common. I want the SPORT livery.....

Cheers,

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,757 Posts
I’ve got 2 buddies waiting on their Sport, neither are first on the list at this dealer. I think one of my buddies is 2nd in line. A dealer I prefer in Greenville had the person who ordered their sport cancel after riding the V4S. Not sure if it’s still available but it was originally expected before EOM April.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gagetech - I ordered mine on 23 Oct 2020. So far I believe no one in Texas has received a Sport although at least one Dealer is expecting 2 to arrive in the coming week. Not sure if they will require an engine swap but I've been told circa 16 hours is book. I was also told a Ducati Factory Tech was able to do one in just 7 hours but then he pretty much builds them for a living. LOL

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey @PJA when did you place your deposit/order? Curious as to the lead/wait time between order & delivery.
I placed the deposit in early January. They initially said delivery would be April. Then when I went for a demo ride in late February they told me June. I recall at that point one of the delays was the cast wheels. So I’m hopeful that date has not changed. I will call this week for an update. I’m not sure how they are notified that the bikes have shipped. When I was there in early February the dealer was surprised he had 2 bikes arrive. And as I recall they were for sale bikes ( spoke wheels ). The demo arrived after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been wating for mine for one month, dealer says we are looking at june/july delivery, however he said that if I want to ride any bike they have, I could borrow it for a weekend, so, I will be riding a different bike every weekend!!!! what a service, shout out to the people at ducati ZentralScheweiz

·
Registered
479 Posts
KTM does in fact have a "long, rich history" (whatever that actually means) it's just not as long as Ducati's. By that rationale we should all be riding Triumphs or Indians or Harleys.

Maybe you didn't actually watch the video, but I assure you Alistar Fagan has ridden and raced more bikes than you ever will, and he knows what special feels like.

You know there was a fairly significant engine failure recall for the Multi v4 right?

Ducati was never exactly a buy-word for quality until VAG/Audi took over.
I believe Ducati actually had its best quality just prior to the VW/Audi takeover. The air cooled engines were basically bulletproof by the late 90s & other than a valve guide hiccup on a batch if 1000DS engines (sound familiar?) the air cooled line has been very reliable for almost a quarter century.
The liquid cooled line has been pretty solid since the turn of the century as well. The 1098/1198/1200 bikes were all designed prior to the takeover & have been quite reliable.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’ve got 2 buddies waiting on their Sport, neither are first on the list at this dealer. I think one of my buddies is 2nd in line. A dealer I prefer in Greenville had the person who ordered their sport cancel after riding the V4S. Not sure if it’s still available but it was originally expected before EOM April.
From what I see, the Sport is just a paint job & slip-on. It might seem a bit cheesy if/when Ducati comes out with a “real” sport model/Pikes Peak. That’s rumored to be as soon as next year, so I can see why people would make the switch.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,956 ·
From what I see, the Sport is just a paint job & slip-on. It might seem a bit cheesy if/when Ducati comes out with a “real” sport model/Pikes Peak. That’s rumored to be as soon as next year, so I can see why people would make the switch.
From one of my Ducati insiders, I’m told that Pikes Peak model will be a 2023 entry at the earliest. So enjoy what you ride now for a few years until that one comes into play.

·
Registered
80 Posts
From one of my Ducati insiders, I’m told that Pikes Peak model will be a 2023 entry at the earliest. So enjoy what you ride now for a few years until that one comes into play.
2023 is only about a year and a half away. IF the PP version is a 2023 model it will be introduced in mid to late 2022. I know how it is getting insider information but after having worked at a dealership for a major brand I know that most of the rumors can be way off. The guys in the MoCo that really know don't let the cat out of the bag unless they have been giving the go ahead and that's usually right before the real release if then.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,959 ·
2023 is only about a year and a half away. IF the PP version is a 2023 model it will be introduced in mid to late 2022. I know how it is getting insider information but after having worked at a dealership for a major brand I know that most of the rumors can be way off. The guys in the MoCo that really know don't let the cat out of the bag unless they have been giving the go ahead and that's usually right before the real release if then.
Yup, you could be totally right. Just sharing what I heard as well, so take it FWIW. Only Claudio really knows what the master plan for world domination is... 😜

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m curious if anyone on here has had the engine swap done yet?
Mine goes in this Friday to have the swap done. They will need it about 3 days. When they called to say my motor was in, I asked how soon they could get it in knowing it is busy time here in Wisconsin now that it is warmer. He informed me that Ducati told the dealers the swap needs to happen ASAP. Perfect timing as I have noticed a random small leak of coolant from the right side. Can’t seem to locate where exact it is coming from but seems to be small. Doesn’t seem to happen every time I ride. It seems to show up when it has been colder here. So we will see what they find when they swap happens.

Side note, I have been enjoying every mile since I have gotten it. Seems to do just about everything right and exactly what I have been wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2941 - 2960 of 3005 Posts