Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
2921 - 2940 of 3005 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,921 ·
Just curious, our hands-free bikes here in the US come with an ignition switch that you have to turn to activate. I thought I saw one online in another country that used a push button like the GS. Does anyone have one like that and if so, what country are you in?

Marc
I've seen that same thing and have wondered why Ducati did that-- likely due to some useless US regulation requiring the user to turn a knob vs push a starter button, despite cars now having push button starters.

I've seen them in video from the UK & Europe so I assume it's only the U.S. market with the starter knob turn.

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
37 Posts
I've seen that same thing and have wondered why Ducati did that-- likely due to some useless US regulation requiring the user to turn a knob vs push a starter button, despite cars now having push button starters.

I've seen them in video from the UK & Europe so I assume it's only the U.S. market with the starter knob turn.
The GS has a push button so I don't know why they did what they did. My GPS makes it harder to get to the switch so I was wondering if it would be practical to swap it with a push button type.

Marc

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,923 ·
The GS has a push button so I don't know why they did what they did. My GPS makes it harder to get to the switch so I was wondering if it would be practical to swap it with a push button type.

Marc
Hmmm, I'm thinking it might be more complex than simply swapping out that knob for a push button (electrical wiring leads to the main control unit). I'd have to think Ducati did it for legal reasons (in the US market) as it's unnecessary design & manufacturing expense to have two different starter systems.

I suppose your Ducati dealer might have a better reason why this is. I'll ask mine as well to see what they say.

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
37 Posts
Hmmm, I'm thinking it might be more complex than simply swapping out that knob for a push button (electrical wiring leads to the main control unit). I'd have to think Ducati did it for legal reasons (in the US market) as it's unnecessary design & manufacturing expense to have two different starter systems.

I suppose your Ducati dealer might have a better reason why this is. I'll ask mine as well to see what they say.
They sell the assembly as a "hands free kit" including the fob, etc. Expensive though, like $600+.

Marc

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just curious, our hands-free bikes here in the US come with an ignition switch that you have to turn to activate. I thought I saw one online in another country that used a push button like the GS. Does anyone have one like that and if so, what country are you in?

Marc
Without having ridden or even looked closely at the switchgear on the new V4, are you sure it doesn't have a push button to turn it on? I only say this because the 1200 DVT (and 1260 AFAIK) had both a push button under the starter button on the right hand switchgear and the turnkey style switch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Doesn't quite seem "hands free" if your finger still has to push a button... lol
Yeah, was biting my tongue on that one. It is a keyless ignition, but certainly not hands free.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,928 ·
Without having ridden or even looked closely at the switchgear on the new V4, are you sure it doesn't have a push button to turn it on? I only say this because the 1200 DVT (and 1260 AFAIK) had both a push button under the starter button on the right hand switchgear and the turnkey style switch.
On the EU bikes this is a push button. On the US bikes it is a knob you turn counterclockwise to turn on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2021 Multistrada V4S
98 Posts
On the EU bikes this is a push button. On the US bikes it is a knob you turn counterclockwise to turn on the bike.
View attachment 1006665
From what I recall of my 2011 MTS, 2013 MTS, and 2018 MTS. The 2011 and 2013 MTS had the button but we did not get the plastic cover that that bikes outside of the US had that hid the button. On the 2018 1260 it had the knob. I asked my dealer about the change from the button to knob on the 1260 once and they said it was for some US regulation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In Europe we have a push button there on the 1200s (I don't know how it is with the 1260) covered by a plastic cover. You only need to use it to wake up the dash to enter your pin if the keys are not around. I probably used it once or twice during the last 10+ years.
The sliding switch on the RH switchgear is used to wake up the bike (ignition on/key in) and its integrated starter button to start it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
View attachment 1006665
I'm aware, my point was that previous bikes had a push button on the RH switchgear in addition to the knob that you can turn.

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
37 Posts
I'm aware, my point was that previous bikes had a push button on the RH switchgear in addition to the knob that you can turn.
Yup, the dealer service manager said the same thing. He thought the V4S would have that button but it doesn't. Figure $600 for the kit plus who-knows-how-much to install it, forget it!

Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone! I’ve got a garage full of Triumphs, but the V4S had really caught my attention. I have the full set of all three 2020 Triumph Factory Custom bikes, but after touring a bit on the Rocket, I think I’ll get better touring and more comfort out of an adventure bike.

Something that’s wrapping my head up is that I’ve always said I’d get a GS as an adventure bike if I bought one. Comparing the 2021 GSA with the MTS V4S side-by-side, the Ducati just seems better in all categories, but I’m worried about durability when off road and extensive riding. I had an 1198s 11 years ago, and it was in the shop for warranty work more than I was riding it. It didn’t stop me from loving it though, and I really miss my Duc.

I’m wondering what kind of issues (besides the engine recalls) people have been running into? Is the performance worth the chain maintenance on an adventure bike? How many plastic parts have been broken by people off road? And is it against Ducati sacred code to speak of OTD prices? The fully loaded GSA I priced out will be just under $31k OTD. What scares me is that the sticker was just over $26k, so the added bags (which the V4S comes with, minus the back) and the registration and tax tacked another $5,000 to the price, and the V4S with spoked wheels is sticker at $24.5k, so is my OTD going to be around $30k for the Duc too?

·
Registered
87 Posts
@JoetheSnakeGuy I think OTD prices are quite acceptable. I think Ducati made a great decision to market the V4S to broaden their market to appeal to people like you that have been faithful to another brand. I also think they missed the boat on discontinuing to market the twin to existing Ducati owners.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm very curious to hear from anyone who has ordered and received a Multistrada V4S SPORT in the US. I ordered mine back in October of 2020 just prior to the official launch but I'm still waiting on delivery.

Has ANYBODY in the USA actually ordered and received one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
@JoetheSnakeGuy I think OTD prices are quite acceptable. I think Ducati made a great decision to market the V4S to broaden their market to appeal to people like you that have been faithful to another brand. I also think they missed the boat on discontinuing to market the twin to existing Ducati owners.
But what ARE some of the OTD prices?

And I’m also curious about what @TXSailor asked. Is there an issue with receiving them? I’m just used to building a bike on the configurator and then seeing which dealers have the closest match in stock.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,939 ·
I'm very curious to hear from anyone who has ordered and received a Multistrada V4S SPORT in the US. I ordered mine back in October of 2020 just prior to the official launch but I'm still waiting on delivery.

The only other person I know who’s ordered one is Rich Dunn with his YouTube channel here:

I recall him stating that his bike is due mid-May. I haven’t found anyone else in the US (in this forum or on YouTube) who has received a Sport model yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I have one on order. I was told it would arrive in June. After seeing the video HoodooGuru just shared, I’ll call the dealer this week to see if that date has improved.

2921 - 2940 of 3005 Posts