Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
2901 - 2920 of 3005 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Multistrada V4S
98 Posts
Yup, mine did the exact same thing going over the Grapevine from NorCal to home in SoCal. It was so bad that I gave up and took it over to the dealer. He got it open after a whole lot of yanking and cursing by pushing down on the lid from the area of the lock mechanism. We heard the whoosh of the air and then it was open. He was going to call Ducati yesterday and report it. I thought about just drilling a small hole to vent it but I think I'll just wait to see what they say since its Ducati's problem to being with.
I put a car trim removal tool under the pillion seat as this happens to me every weekend. I ride through elevation changes from 100ft to 7000ft above sea level I just slide the tool under the bottom of the pannier near one of the hinges and let the air in.

The tool looks like this:

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
39 Posts
G'day all V4 MS owners and potential buyers,.......... ROAD / SPORTS TYRE OPTIONS FOR V4S MS

I was at my local Ducati service dept recently and while lamenting seemingly not being able to run my favorite on road rubber (Michelin Road 5) due to the 19" front wheel size, I spotted a set of ....... Michelin Road 5 TRAIL in the V4S specs (60W & 72W)....... the staff thought they were for smaller lighter bikes like 650's etc, but they are the correct speed and weight rating listed in the owners handbook....... so we all learned something............:LOL:.

If you want to run full road tyres like I will when I flog out the Scorpions, all is not lost - Michelin hide them under "Road 5 Trail" even though there is nothing "Trail" bike about them....... they are the full road 5 pattern.

FYI (y)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,904 ·
G'day all V4 MS owners and potential buyers,.......... ROAD / SPORTS TYRE OPTIONS FOR V4S MS

I was at my local Ducati service dept recently and while lamenting seemingly not being able to run my favorite on road rubber (Michelin Road 5) due to the 19" front wheel size, I spotted a set of ....... Michelin Road 5 TRAIL in the V4S specs (60W & 72W)....... the staff thought they were for smaller lighter bikes like 650's etc, but they are the correct speed and weight rating listed in the owners handbook....... so we all learned something............:LOL:.

If you want to run full road tyres like I will when I flog out the Scorpions, all is not lost - Michelin hide them under "Road 5 Trail" even though there is nothing "Trail" bike about them....... they are the full road 5 pattern.

FYI (y)
Good to know. What kind of mileage would you expect on the Michelin’s?

Here they are at Revzilla:

·
Registered
649 Posts
If road 5's are anything like pilot road 3's and 4's, you can expect upwards of 10k miles, IMO. I used to get around 20,000kms to a rear on my R1

·
Registered
649 Posts
Or maybe closer to 7000km
You would have to ride like an absolute muppet to only get 7,000km on a modern 2CT sport touring tire.
The Bridgestone S20 that came on my S1000R lasted 7k.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow thats a good price...... ours are $240Au Front and $280Au Rear.

Typically R5's last 15,000kms - I don't abuse or schred tyres just for fun, but I certainly attack corners and ride quick when no one is watching. My previous bike had Angel GT's which I replaced with R5's after 15k kms (9k miles) and that set of R5's still had center tread above the wear indicators after another 15k kms when I had a second set installed at the major service. I tend to use the sides as much as I can rather than ride on straight roads and burn up the center of the tyre, but the Michelins are a kevlar belt tyre rather than a steel belt, so they do run cooler and last longer than most sports tyres. For the record I run 34psiF and 36psiR which yields sports grip and still gives max tyre mileage. Other KTM forum members swore by 36F 42R but only got half the mileage....... I could not convince them to change their old habits, and pleasingly Ducati publish similar tyre pressures to what I use in the owner handbook for solo riding on the V4SMS... ;)

I expect the Scorpions will struggle to make 10k kms, and will feel slippery after 8-9k kms though they feel fine now while new. I use almost all the tread (slow cars have been preventing me from having total fun), so I will be looking for the extra lean on my next trip to our famous Oxley Hwy (Aussie riders know what I'm talking about)....... :devilish:

Cheers.

Reactions: HoodooGuru

·
Registered
39 Posts
If road 5's are anything like pilot road 3's and 4's, you can expect upwards of 10k miles, IMO. I used to get around 20,000kms to a rear on my R1
This is very true........ I still have my CBR1100XX though it is semi retired and I no longer do 20k kms a year on it.... but the PR4 did last 20k kms with tread still above the center marks....... the Road 5 is a softer compound and won't last as long, but it offers so much more grip security that it's worth the trade off if you have lots of mountain roads with tight corners to play with....... 15k kms or 9k miles is a reality except for drag race type city work outs and straight line touring.

(y)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,910 ·
Curious about the logistics of swapping tires— do you ship them to your dealer and ride your bike there for the tire service?

·
Registered
39 Posts
:unsure:...... me?........ I live in a Capital City so my dealership is only 25kms/20mins away and they stock everything I need or can order it in (they give me a 10% loyalty discount too)......... I keep my hands clean these days :D.

(y)

Reactions: HoodooGuru

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
144 Posts
Dealers/tire installers typically charge higher fee if you don’t buy from them. So unless you are removing g the wheel yourself and taking it to cycle gear expect to pay about 45-50$ per wheel

·
Registered
588 Posts
Cycle gear installs tires? I did not know that.

Far as the Road 5s go, you'll get way better range out of them than the stock tires, especially if you have to ride on straight roads frequently. I burn through Pirelli's in 5-6k miles generally, Road 5s are good for nearly twice that.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,914 ·
Cycle gear installs tires? I did not know that.

Far as the Road 5s go, you'll get way better range out of them than the stock tires, especially if you have to ride on straight roads frequently. I burn through Pirelli's in 5-6k miles generally, Road 5s are good for nearly twice that.
Have you ridden the Road 5 Trails (vs the regular Road 5s)? Curious if it’s the exact same time but in different sizing. I suppose it’s possible the tire formulation could be different but I’d love to hear confirmation from owners/riders.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have you ridden the Road 5 Trails (vs the regular Road 5s)? Curious if it’s the exact same time but in different sizing. I suppose it’s possible the tire formulation could be different but I’d love to hear confirmation from owners/riders.
I haven't, but Michelin's website makes it pretty clear it's the same tire as the Road 5, just in a different size for ADV bikes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,916 ·
I haven't, but Michelin's website makes it pretty clear it's the same tire as the Road 5, just in a different size for ADV bikes.
That’s great. Seems to be a solid tire vs the competition out there. Interested to see what Multistrada V4S owners would say with these tires mounted vs the original Pirellis.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
144 Posts
Since cycle gear is now owned by revzilla, the pricing is the same (if not just point out the revzilla price) and then they will change the tire and balance the wheel for 25$ if think it is. They DO NOT remove wheels from the bike. You must bring it in yourself.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Good change I shall go with P5 when my V4s needs new tyres. I have run nothing but Pilot roads since they have been out

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
37 Posts
Just curious, our hands-free bikes here in the US come with an ignition switch that you have to turn to activate. I thought I saw one online in another country that used a push button like the GS. Does anyone have one like that and if so, what country are you in?

Marc

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
37 Posts
I put a car trim removal tool under the pillion seat as this happens to me every weekend. I ride through elevation changes from 100ft to 7000ft above sea level I just slide the tool under the bottom of the pannier near one of the hinges and let the air in.

The tool looks like this:

View attachment 1006442
I finally fixed mine the other day. I found the perfect place to drill a tiny 1/16 hole in the bottom of the bag. The hole is covered up when the bag is closed so there is no direct water splash but open to the atmosphere. My bike is at the dealer now with the key so I'll take a picture when I get it back so you can see where I drilled it.

Marc

2901 - 2920 of 3005 Posts