Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
2821 - 2840 of 2883 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
No,me either. And 160 seems low. 180 is more normal, IME.
Depends on ambient T... this time of year I rarely see engine temps over 165 (ambient 50-75) when I'm riding (again... no stop and go traffic for me, I live in the country). Mid-summer when ambient is in the high 80's/low 90's I'll see 180 regularly, but that's just 2-3 weeks a year.

Reactions: winterboy8

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fifteen minutes in traffic on a warm day the engine’s up to 200 degrees. So yeah, that’s a problem.

Oh, the irony my friends. The forum has myriad posts regarding old, soft, fatigued Harley riders, yet complaints of heat with 170 HP worth of explosions happening between your legs on one of the best bikes ever made. Reminded me of my wife horse back riding on a hot day many years ago and complained that the horse was sweaty. I guess HP has always created heat.
You talking to me? Imagine: you’re in city traffic and you find the temperature jump from 170 to 200 in a matter of minutes. It’s a problem. When it gets to 210 that’s a problem. The temperature is way above optimal and the engine feels sloppy. Five, ten minutes of open road and it cools down nicely. Kinda like your wife’s horse but without the sweat.
I love the 2012 warts and all. I put a deposit on the new V4. I hope to keep them both.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,823
DEMO RIDE THIS FRIDAY👍

I’ve setup my first demo ride for the Multistrada V4S with my dealer for this Friday. Will see how it goes and confirm my intent (or not) to press forward with my order. I do plan to ride a different/smaller bike first to get warmed up and get a comparative feel for the V4S to follow.

I’ll be back here afterwards to share my impressions as a newly returning rider and how this bike is setup for someone like me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are there any Ducatis that don't hit 200 degrees quick sitting still on a warm day? Every one of them I've ridden does. AFAIK, the fan thermostat on Ducati engines doesn't kick on till right around 200, and with such a small radiator...yea, it's going to jump up to whatever that figure is really fast if the bike isn't moving. Not a problem unless it continues to climb after the fans kick on.

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S
32 Posts
Was 82 F yesterday on my ride home, and I had to stop in construction zone. The fan kicks on at about 205-210 and works well. The highest temp I saw was 218 while sitting there. This was about 8 miles from work, so engine was warm for sure, but not heat soaked completely. I think it did well, I am not concerned with the cooling capability of the V4S. I was just a little amazed at how quickly the temp rises once you stop, this is what caught my attention.

·
Premium Member
2021 Multistrada V4S
95 Posts
I received the “touring” windscreen today. It is a bit taller than the stock screen but not any wider. It is also tinted slightly. I am still trying to find the part number for the matching tinted winglets.

I installed the screen this morning and have a 200+ mile ride planed today to test it out. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and still get a lot of buffeting with the stock screen at the highest position. Hopefully this screen will push most of the air over my helmet on the highway.

Seems like every Multistrada I have owned I have purchased 3-4 windscreens before I found one I really liked so this may just be the first of many.

I have included pictures of the stock versus touring windscreen and pictures of the touring windscreen installed on the bike.

After installation:

724001C7-ECEE-4329-8A4F-A23DB3570ABF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
DEMO RIDE THIS FRIDAY👍

I’ve setup my first demo ride for the Multistrada V4S with my dealer for this Friday. Will see how it goes and confirm my intent (or not) to press forward with my order. I do plan to ride a different/smaller bike first to get warmed up and get a comparative feel for the V4S to follow.

I’ll be back here afterwards to share my impressions as a newly returning rider and how this bike is setup for someone like me.
Part of me wants to you to love the bike as you've done a great job with this V4 1.0 Discussion.

Part of me wants you to hate the bike as you've done a great job with this V4 1.0 Discussion and I want you to follow up with a V4 2.0 Discussion.

No joke. :)

Have fun. Be safe.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,828
Part of me wants to you to love the bike as you've done a great job with this V4 1.0 Discussion.

Part of me wants you to hate the bike as you've done a great job with this V4 1.0 Discussion and I want you to follow up with a V4 2.0 Discussion.

No joke. :)

Have fun. Be safe.
Thank you sir. I am interested to see how this bike lives up to the somewhat unfairly lofty expectations placed upon it. Part of me wants to hate it to save myself $25k+ and go get a much cheaper Honda. But I’ve been somewhat obsessed with Ducati for too long that I will probably love the bike no matter what, warts & all... 😉

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
204 Posts
Thank you sir. I am interested to see how this bike lives up to the somewhat unfairly lofty expectations placed upon it. Part of me wants to hate it to save myself $25k+ and go get a much cheaper Honda. But I’ve been somewhat obsessed with Ducati for too long that I will probably love the bike no matter what, warts & all... 😉
When were you last on a bike? It’s possible it will be leaps and bounds above whatever you were last on, so you’re unlikely to be disappointed!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,840
=== A Returning Rider's Impression of the Ducati Multistrada V4S===

Hey fellas- had a great day yesterday test riding the Multistrada V4S. I can summarize my opinion in one phrase:

Inspires Confidence
As a returning rider, I am seeking a bike that is safe, fast, comfortable, feels nimble (enough), has the latest tech, and ultimately is fun to ride. I must say the Ducati Multistrada V4S is all this and more. I won't wax eloquent on all the things already said about this bike (see my dozens of previous posts with video & written review links from others for that), so I'll share my first impressions in a few bullets. The bike I rode had 788 miles so it was broken in with first service already behind it:
  • Holy crap this bike is FAST. The throttle feels so linear to me. Meaning, I twist it and my speed linearly accelerates to that MPH reading. Getting this bike to 100mph and above is way too easy. Will need to be "measured" in my hooliganism so as not to incur too many tickets. The quick shifter is as smooth and quick as anything. Feels like riding an automatic transmission with a simple input of the foot. Pretty amazing compared to bikes of yesteryear.
  • Wow it slows quickly. Equally opposite is the engine braking and front brake which are quite strong. The engine braking feels a bit like an EV with max regenerative braking turned on that really slows you down quickly. The front brake is very firm/strong, but doesn't feel grabby at all to me.
  • This is a comfortable bike. The seat is firm but not too hard. The rider geometry works wells for my dimensions at 5' 9", and the shift lever and rear brake pedal feel appropriately comfortable for where they are positioned with my feet. The heated seat works well (almost too well) as do the heated grips. I was riding at temps around 45F once I hit max elevation in the ski resort area as my destination. The hand guards deflect some air but I think a larger hand guards would work better than the stock ones. The windscreen adjustment is super easy with one-finger operation. I found it did deflect enough air over my head though anyone at 6' or taller would likely benefit from a taller windscreen.
  • It seems nimble enough. I am not experienced enough to tell the difference between a 19" front and 17" front wheel. I did ride a Triumph Speed Triple (with 17" front) before taking on the Ducati. The Triumph seemed quite light, smaller obviously, but not necessarily that much more flickable given the size difference. This Ducati really seems to exude its sportbike lineage when driven with that kind of gusto. The handlebars seem wide enough for the right steering leverage, and makes this bike flickable enough when it's moving. No, it's not a Panigale but I can feel like I'm almost on one given aggressive riding on this Multistrada. But this bike does seem like a big, heavy bike when at rest, so I guess the lesson with this Ducati is never stop riding. 😉
In short, this bike is really well engineered and I must say I'm happy to have waited for its release to make it my first Ducati ownership experience. As I said to a buddy who rides (a Yamaha, sadly lol), this Ducati Multistrada will be fun to ride forever. 👍

Enjoy these glamor shots from the Utah mountains:

And my video summary as well:

2821 - 2840 of 2883 Posts