Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
2801 - 2820 of 2883 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
We have similar use cases for bikes. I get it, in fact what you're saying is what I told myself when I bought my MT09. Less powerful, but it serves the same purpose for me the Tuono would serve for you.

There's just a ton of overlap in the sport-area between the two, and over the last season it's lead me to believe I might be better off with a true touring bike, vs. a hybrid like the MTS. Will I actually do it? Probably not, logic aside I'm not ready to do the Gold Wing thing yet, and I don't care for the ergos on the big Japanese ST bikes. So the MTS may yet be the best tool available, I'd just prefer to have more uniquely capable machines, if I'm going to own more than one.

The thing that changed between what I thought was going to happen and now, is the smaller naked bike taught me just how compromised the handling on the MTS is. It's big, and heavy, and slow on turns, and it feels all those things after riding the Yamaha. Not a fair comparison given that my MTS is stock and the MT09 is far from it, but there you go. Now, I don't want to take the MTS on those shorter ~100 mile rides anymore, because I know how much more engaging the other bike is. That leaves the Duc in a more pure touring duty, but anyway I'm sure you get my point.

Clearly, what I really need is yet another motorcycle.
I see you have a 1260. To me the difference between the pre-DVT 1200s and the 1260 is significant. The 1260 is a little heavier than the older 1200s, but it's the longer wheelbase and raked out front end that make it feel noticeably more "tour" to me. I had originally planned on buying a new bike in 2019, but backed away from the 1260 because it felt noticeably more cumbersome to me, when ridden back-to-back. I then waited for the V4, hoping it would go back in the sport direction, but we know that story. I've had the new bike itch for 2+ years now. Fortunately I still enjoy my old 1200 enough to not feel rushed into buying a bike I am not crazy about.

The reviews of the MT-09 (especially the revised model) and even the MT-10 put both of those bikes on the fringe of consideration for me, but the styling keeps them there. The R1M is an attractive bike. I wish Yamaha had picked up styling cues from that bike for their naked models.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I see you have a 1260. To me the difference between the pre-DVT 1200s and the 1260 is significant. The 1260 is a little heavier than the older 1200s, but it's the longer wheelbase and raked out front end that make it feel noticeably more "tour" to me. I had originally planned on buying a new bike in 2019, but backed away from the 1260 because it felt noticeably more cumbersome to me, when ridden back-to-back. I then waited for the V4, hoping it would go back in the sport direction, but we know that story. I've had the new bike itch for 2+ years now. Fortunately I still enjoy my old 1200 enough to not feel rushed into buying a bike I am not crazy about.

The reviews of the MT-09 (especially the revised model) and even the MT-10 put both of those bikes on the fringe of consideration for me, but the styling keeps them there. The R1M is an attractive bike. I wish Yamaha had picked up styling cues from that bike for their naked models.
The difference in handling between a sport/sport naked bike and an ADV bike is much greater than anything that was introduced between different versions of the MTS. Maybe the 620 is an exception but I'd doubt even that; it's still too much suspension travel and wheelbase to make a true sport bike.

Any of the water cooled bikes are too big, heavy, and floaty to be in that conversation. Not saying they aren't fast, or handle well, but everything is a matter of what's being compared to. Multistrada handle well, compared to other touring oriented bikes. Compared to a Panigale, they all handle like a truck. A 1200 vs a 1260 might be sport truck vs. 4x4, but still, trucks.

And yea, the Mt-09 is ugly. I consider it the F-Body Camero of motorcycling. It's ugly and it feels cheap, but also inexpensive with a killer drivetrain. They're a great option if you know you're going to replace the entire suspension w/ aftermarket stuff anyway, since that's the mechanical weak point.

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S
32 Posts
Now that is interesting. I assumed that what I am experiencing is common to all of the bikes. If that's not the case then I'm relieved. Here is what I'm talking about: if I try to hold a steady speed as an example in Tour, 3rd gear at 5K rpm in a line of traffic the bike is not steady, it surges quite noticeably. It does this whenever I try to hold a steady speed particularly in traffic. It doesn't matter if I'm controlling it or if I use the cruise. At higher throttle openings it doesn't surge but if I accelerate up to 6500 rpm as an example with about 1/2 throttle if will occasionally drop power for a split second and then continue. Its also erratic if I'm riding fast and accelerate and then try to modulate the throttle. In that situation sometimes it will drop power if I back off the throttle just slightly and then pick power back up again. If I run the engine setting at reduced power all of these symptoms are there but muted maybe 50%. These aren't great descriptions but close. I'm coming from a R1250GS with a throttle like a rheostat so maybe I'm expecting too much? Does any of this sound familiar?

Marc
I was experiencing the same issue this weekend (along with the vibration you mentioned in a different post). I put on cruise control at about 50 mph and I could see the handle bar ends just shaking more than I would ever expect to see. I plan to express this to the dealer on my next service, but don't anticipate a resolution. I was also using my phone (using Speedometer and Waze apps) to try and get a speedometer calibration run done. To my surprise, I couldn't seem to get a steady readout from either app (started out using Speedometer then switched to waze). I thought maybe the wind was affecting me, but even when the wind subsided, I still couldn't get a good steady read. The part of this that concerns me is that my dashboard speedometer stayed even within 1 mph!!! I'm wondering of this surging of the bike and my inability to get a steady speed are connected. I'm still quite concerned about the app varying as much as 9 MPH will the bike speedo only varied 1 MPH!!! ugh, this should not be an issue with a new model.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The difference in handling between a sport/sport naked bike and an ADV bike is much greater than anything that was introduced between different versions of the MTS. Maybe the 620 is an exception but I'd doubt even that; it's still too much suspension travel and wheelbase to make a true sport bike.

Any of the water cooled bikes are too big, heavy, and floaty to be in that conversation. Not saying they aren't fast, or handle well, but everything is a matter of what's being compared to. Multistrada handle well, compared to other touring oriented bikes. Compared to a Panigale, they all handle like a truck. A 1200 vs a 1260 might be sport truck vs. 4x4, but still, trucks.

And yea, the Mt-09 is ugly. I consider it the F-Body Camero of motorcycling. It's ugly and it feels cheap, but also inexpensive with a killer drivetrain. They're a great option if you know you're going to replace the entire suspension w/ aftermarket stuff anyway, since that's the mechanical weak point.
I had a <400 pound air-cooled Monster for 6 years and 30k miles, have ridden an S1000R several times (friend has one) have ridden a Street Triple, Speed Triple, V2 Streetfighter and of course a V4 1100 Tuono, so I do know what sport-nakeds , including modern hyper nakeds, feel like. I also owned a MTS 1000DS for six years/30k miles before buying my 2013, so I definitely know what that feels like. This is obviously all subjective, so I am not arguing, but rather sharing my experience, which may be a bit different. From a handling perspective on public twisty roads, I would put a 1000DS/1100 Multi up against any of the sport nakeds I have ridden. The only thing that might hold the air-cooled up is ground clearance; the pegs do ground out. Restrict any naked bike on the market today to the same output as the air-cooled Multi and the old Duc will be its equal or better on a twisty public road for me. In tight corners, the air-cooled Multis are so easy to toss around once you get used to them. I actually had to switch to a narrower and lower bar on my bike to slow the steering down. I have never felt a sport naked that steered as quickly. If limited to 80-85 hp and 60-ish ft-lbs, the air-cooled Multi is as lethal as anything on tight roads.

Going from a 1000DS to a 1200, there definitely was a difference in weight and the wheelbase is longer. Therefore, on my 1200, it does take a little bit more work than my 1000DS on twisty roads. Nonetheless, I feel 90% of the capability is there. It's only in the tightest of corners and hairpins that I feel like I am really held back and the 1200 just can't match my old air-cooled. Based upon the relative speeds of my riding friends, I was matching the pace of my 1000DS in all but the tightest sections without leaning on the throttle. Admittedly, I have the least amount of time on a 1260 vs any of the above bikes and have never really pushed one. Nonetheless, I think the drop in agility from the pre-DVT 1200 to the 1260 is easily equal to the drop from the air-cooled to the 1200. Like I said, I've only been on a 1260 once. Maybe a second try would be different.

On a track or as speeds otherwise consistently get in the triple digits, the lower cg/suspension travel and aerodynamics really start to help a sportnaked or sportbike. At triple digits, making side to side transitions will start to remind you of the extra weight, high cg and long suspension. At lower speeds on twisty mountain roads, aerodynamics are not much of a factor and for me the extra leverage of higher bars and the upright riding position counteract the disadvantages of the higher cg. I will attack low and medium speed corners, but when I get to the triple digit sweepers, I generally relax and treat them almost like straights and enjoy a bit of my surroundings. If I need to hit triple digits to make a road exciting, it's not my type of road. Maybe I lack the nerve or the skill to safely maintain triple digit speeds through the curves. Whatever the case, I generally look for roads that are exciting at 20-90 mph. In that environment, as long as the wheelbase isn't too long, the steering isn't too relaxed and the suspension is tuned for the street, I don't think there is much if any penalty for the ADV riding position and stance. The extra weight is a penalty, but at these speeds I don't think it restricts pace, it just might make it take a little more effort. Again, just my two cents and maybe the limitations of my pace factor in. Faster, slower or just different style riders may have a very different experience.

·
Registered
'21 Multistrada V4S
29 Posts
Saturday I took a ride down to Anza Borrego in our SoCal desert. By the time I had lunch the temps were bordering on 100F. I've been really curious to see how this bike handles the heat. The seat was hot from sitting in the sun during lunch but it didn't get any hotter and wasn't uncomfortable. There was no noticeable engine heat at all when moving as long as I kept my left leg pulled in close to the tank. If I let my leg bow out it would get in the heat stream which would become uncomfortable. All and all the bike insulates the rider quite well for the temps I was riding in and the fact that there's a 170 HP heat pump down below. Since I do a lot of desert riding in the summer I was relieved with how well it worked. Sitting in traffic might be an issue but I didn't run into any this time.

Marc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Saturday I took a ride down to Anza Borrego in our SoCal desert. By the time I had lunch the temps were bordering on 100F. I've been really curious to see how this bike handles the heat. The seat was hot from sitting in the sun during lunch but it didn't get any hotter and wasn't uncomfortable. There was no noticeable engine heat at all when moving as long as I kept my left leg pulled in close to the tank. If I let my leg bow out it would get in the heat stream which would become uncomfortable. All and all the bike insulates the rider quite well for the temps I was riding in and the fact that there's a 170 HP heat pump down below. Since I do a lot of desert riding in the summer I was relieved with how well it worked. Sitting in traffic might be an issue but I didn't run into any this time.

Marc
I will be riding my 1260S through Borrego Springs on Thursday. I guess I should bring my cool vest,

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada PP
204 Posts
Just got back from the dealer to drop my bike off for service and had a look at the V4S. My first impression? It’s a large motorcycle (or certainly looks it). The Enduro had an imposing looking size due to the height, tank etc, and this didn’t look far off.

My wife said she doesn’t like the looks of it lol.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
as Potomicduc mentioned... Multis have been getting bigger and bigger over time. Power has grown but so has weight, overall size, length... steering has gotten slower to make the bike more docile, wheelbase has gotten longer to give it better slab manners. All things that are not "BAD"... but move it away from it's "hooligan for rough roads" roots.

IMO the "as close to perfect" Multi ever was the 12 Ohlins bike. That is... if you're a superbike on stilts fan. I personally was willing to give up that last bit of uncompromising to get an IMU for better safety (knowing I was going to put near or over a hundred thousand miles on the bike)... but if I'd been a purist that's the bike I'd have gotten in 2015 (used 12s vs. the 15s I bought new). Since then Ducati has been slowly moving farther and farther away from that. Maybe the V4R (or pikes peak or whatever it's going to be called) will grab back some of that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,809

Marc
This is really good to know. Thanks for sharing. Seems like they truly did their homework on heat management for this V4 power plant.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This is really good to know. Thanks for sharing. Seems like they truly did their homework on heat management for this V4 power plant.
I didn't even know the 1200/1260 had a heat problem.
What a revelation after all these years. Whodaknowm.
Glad Ducati solved a hidden problem tho, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Multi. Fifteen minutes in traffic on a warm day the engine’s up to 200 degrees. So yeah, that’s a problem.

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
201 Posts
I commute in stop and go traffic on the 1260 and have never felt problematic heat in the slightest....the EVO 848 however felt like I was having roasted nuts for dinner

·
Registered
128 Posts
Says the guy from the frozen north...;)

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
They get hot in stop and go traffic when the weather is warm... cook your jewels hot... but other than that no issue. If I'm moving anything over 15-20mph the bike stays comfortable even when ambient is in the 90's.

I'd never use one for Urban commuting... but that would be a waste anyway.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,815
To be clear, I was not making any reference to previous models. Only alluding to the V4 being a potential chestnuts roasting on an open fire kind of power plant if Ducati didn’t engineer a solid solution for it. Good to see they did. 😜

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S
32 Posts
I should really try and get some video of this, but I don't have a helmet gopro. However, I was riding last weekend, partly sunny and breezy out and about 73 F on my temp readout. After about 30 miles of riding and no issues with engine temp (stayed right around 160 if I remember correctly), I took a side road in which the speed limit brought me down to 30 MPH. Well mister, I'm surprised the engine temp at 30 mph still went up to over 205 F in about a 1/2 mile of riding. Fans eventually came on and it manages the temp well, and once you get back up to about 45 MPH the engine temp comes down quickly. Not sure how summer in FL is going to go on this V4S.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I should really try and get some video of this, but I don't have a helmet gopro. However, I was riding last weekend, partly sunny and breezy out and about 73 F on my temp readout. After about 30 miles of riding and no issues with engine temp (stayed right around 160 if I remember correctly), I took a side road in which the speed limit brought me down to 30 MPH. Well mister, I'm surprised the engine temp at 30 mph still went up to over 205 F in about a 1/2 mile of riding. Fans eventually came on and it manages the temp well, and once you get back up to about 45 MPH the engine temp comes down quickly. Not sure how summer in FL is going to go on this V4S.
I wouldn't consider 205F engine temp to be very hot at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fifteen minutes in traffic on a warm day the engine’s up to 200 degrees. So yeah, that’s a problem.

Oh, the irony my friends. The forum has myriad posts regarding old, soft, fatigued Harley riders, yet complaints of heat with 170 HP worth of explosions happening between your legs on one of the best bikes ever made. Reminded me of my wife horse back riding on a hot day many years ago and complained that the horse was sweaty. I guess HP has always created heat.

Reactions: Revilok

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
To be clear, I was not making any reference to previous models. Only alluding to the V4 being a potential chestnuts roasting on an open fire kind of power plant if Ducati didn’t engineer a solid solution for it. Good to see they did. 😜
Just having a bit of fun.
The bikes with heat concerns are the Panigale (V2 &V4) where the rear cylinder's headers are coiled under the seat. Then there's the extra HP that exacerbate the issue.
Truth be told, if you ride those bikes as they were designed for (at highway speeds or more), the heat gets blown away.
Says the guy from the frozen north...;)
I actually enjoyed the STD heated seat on my Panigale in the spring and fall. :)

2801 - 2820 of 2883 Posts