Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 10.6%
2061 - 2080 of 2279 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
after watching US reviews, I am still concerned and will wait for PP or nextgen w 180-190hp.

may go 2020 PP and weight reduction or 2022 KTM SD GT in the interim

I did trade in the 2015 KTM SA for a KTM ADV 890R yesterday.

I am so underwhelmed w Ducati marketing of the multi v4. With everything I have seen from consumers, I have zero knowledge of or trust in, my initial feeling is concern! This new ms may be a step backward.
Dar could be right!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I traded my 2018 MTS 1260 in on a 2021 MTS V4S today. I have owned a 2011 MTS, a 2013 MTS, and a 2018 MTS 1260. I was one of those who kind of scoffed at the V4s when I saw the 19 inch front tire and no single swing arm. However after a demo ride, I was sold on the V4S. As others have said, I think people really have to ride this bike and decide for themselves.

I am 6 foot 2 and 225 lbs with all of my gear on. The MTS V4S felt more comfortable to me than my MTS 1260. It feels like you sit in the MTS V4S as opposed to on the MTS 1260. From a 2010 MTS to the MTS V4S I would expect the feeling to be more dramatic as I felt that I sat higher on the 2010 MTS than I did the 2013 MTS or the 2018 MTS. Some will like the riding position of the V4S and some will not. I do not feel as much pressure on my old knees and back as I did on the MTS 1260 and I had the seat in the higher position.

The 19 inch front wheel does slow down the handling a little bit. I rode 150 miles on my 2018 MTS to the dealership where I traded it in on the 2021 MTS V4S. I then had to ride the 2021 MTS V4S back the same route, so it gave me a good perspective as I changed bikes. Tipping into the corner on the V4S feels a bit slower but stability in the corner is excellent. The 19 inch front wheel does feel more stable on the bumpy California freeways than the 17 inch on the MTS 1260 did. As others have said if you prefer the handling of the 2010-2011 Multistrada this bike will not feel as sharp. My 2018 MTS 1260 did not handle as sharply as my 2011 MTS. The difference between the 2018 MTS and the MTS V4S does not feel as dramatic as it was between the 2011 MTS and the 2013 or 2018 MTS.

The things I like over my MTS 1260, at least after the first 150 miles are:

1. Power delivery feels, to me, smoother across the rev range. This bike just pulls hard. Granted the 1260 is no slouch either.
2. The rear brake works well. That was always an issue with my past MTS's. The 2018 had the best rear brake out of the 2011, 2013, and 2018.
3. The new windscreen really does work. I get less buffeting at speed on the V4S than I did on the 1260. Obviously this will vary by how high you sit on the bike. I have long legs and a smaller trunk.
4. The center stand does not hit my left foot and I can keep the balls of my feet on both pegs. With all of my prior MTS's this was always an issue. I could never get the ball of my left foot on the peg because the center stand got in the way.
5. They went back to a key fob that is similar to the 2010-2013 MTS. I lost the back cover to my 2018 MTS key fob a week after I purchased the bike because it came off very easily. Ducati would not sell me a replacement cover either. You had to buy a new key, which I never did.

The things that I have mixed feelings on:
1. The new dashboard is nice, but I prefer the hockey stick rev counter on the past MTS's to the circular rev counter. I wish they gave you the option to change it. I also find some of the items on the display (MPG, distance to empty, etc.) difficult to read while riding because the text is so small.
2. The Ducati Connect app, which is basically Bosh My Spin, is difficult to use. I can only get the music to play one song out of a playlist and then it stops. I have tried setting it to shuffle but no matter what once the song ends I have to go back into the music app and start another song. This was very annoying on my 150 mile ride back from the dealership where I purchased the bike. I hope Ducati will continue to improve the app, but since they never really got the Ducati app for the 2018-2020 MTS to work right I think we may be stuck with its quirks.
3. Sygic navigation is nowhere near as good as Apple Maps or Google Maps. I had set my destination to home and was following the route along the freeway. Whenever I got to a town with freeway exits, it kept telling me to keep left at every exit as opposed to just knowing I was still on the freeway and not going to take the exit. The route planning to avoid traffic also appears to be inferior to Google Maps and Waze. Bosch My Spin appears to support Apple Maps, so hopefully Ducati will add it as an option at some point.
4. Fuel mileage is lower. I averaged 38 MPG on the MTS 1260 on the 150 mile ride to the dealer. I was also in traffic that was moving at 80+ MPH most of the route. On the ride back with V4S, the dash was showing 34 MPG. Of course I was varying the RPM's and the V4S is still being broken in. It will be interesting to see what real world MPG is like after the bike is broken in.

I do not have enough time on the MTS V4S to say wether I prefer it to the MTS 1260. My MTS 1260 was the best long distance touring bike I have owned and it was tough giving it up. I have high hopes for the V4S but until I have 3-5k miles on it, I cannot make an informed decision as to which is the better bike.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,066
I traded my 2018 MTS 1260 in on a 2021 MTS V4S today. I have owned a 2011 MTS, a 2013 MTS, and a 2018 MTS 1260. I was one of those who kind of scoffed at the V4s when I saw the 19 inch front tire and no single swing arm. However after a demo ride, I was sold on the V4S. As others have said, I think people really have to ride this bike and decide for themselves.

I am 6 foot 2 and 225 lbs with all of my gear on. The MTS V4S felt more comfortable to me than my MTS 1260. It feels like you sit in the MTS V4S as opposed to on the MTS 1260. From a 2010 MTS to the MTS V4S I would expect the feeling to be more dramatic as I felt that I sat higher on the 2010 MTS than I did the 2013 MTS or the 2018 MTS. Some will like the riding position of the V4S and some will not. I do not feel as much pressure on my old knees and back as I did on the MTS 1260 and I had the seat in the higher position.

The 19 inch front wheel does slow down the handling a little bit. I rode 150 miles on my 2018 MTS to the dealership where I traded it in on the 2021 MTS V4S. I then had to ride the 2021 MTS V4S back the same route, so it gave me a good perspective as I changed bikes. Tipping into the corner on the V4S feels a bit slower but stability in the corner is excellent. The 19 inch front wheel does feel more stable on the bumpy California freeways than the 17 inch on the MTS 1260 did. As others have said if you prefer the handling of the 2010-2011 Multistrada this bike will not feel as sharp. My 2018 MTS 1260 did not handle as sharply as my 2011 MTS. The difference between the 2018 MTS and the MTS V4S does not feel as dramatic as it was between the 2011 MTS and the 2013 or 2018 MTS.

1. Power delivery feels, to me, smoother across the rev range. This bike just pulls hard. Granted the 1260 is no slouch either.
2. The rear brake works well. That was always an issue with my past MTS's. The 2018 had the best rear brake out of the 2011, 2013, and 2018.
3. The new windscreen really does work. I get less buffeting at speed on the V4S than I did on the 1260. Obviously this will vary by how high you sit on the bike. I have long legs and a smaller trunk.
4. The center stand does not hit my left foot and I can keep the balls of my feet on both pegs. With all of my prior MTS's this was always an issue. I could never get the ball of my left foot on the peg because the center stand got in the way.
5. They went back to a key fob that is similar to the 2010-2013 MTS. I lost the back cover to my 2018 MTS key fob a week after I purchased the bike because it came off very easily. Ducati would not sell me a replacement cover either. You had to buy a new key, which I never did.

1. The new dashboard is nice, but I prefer the hockey stick rev counter on the past MTS's to the circular rev counter. I wish they gave you the option to change it. I also find some of the items on the display (MPG, distance to empty, etc.) difficult to read while riding because the text is so small.
2. The Ducati Connect app, which is basically Bosh My Spin, is difficult to use. I can only get the music to play one song out of a playlist and then it stops. I have tried setting it to shuffle but no matter what once the song ends I have to go back into the music app and start another song. This was very annoying on my 150 mile ride back from the dealership where I purchased the bike. I hope Ducati will continue to improve the app, but since they never really got the Ducati app for the 2018-2020 MTS to work right I think we may be stuck with its quirks.
3. Sygic navigation is nowhere near as good as Apple Maps or Google Maps. I had set my destination to home and was following the route along the freeway. Whenever I got to a town with freeway exits, it kept telling me to keep left at every exit as opposed to just knowing I was still on the freeway and not going to take the exit. The route planning to avoid traffic also appears to be inferior to Google Maps and Waze. Bosch My Spin appears to support Apple Maps, so hopefully Ducati will add it as an option at some point.
4. Fuel mileage is lower. I averaged 38 MPG on the MTS 1260 on the 150 mile ride to the dealer. I was also in traffic that was moving at 80+ MPH most of the route. On the ride back with V4S, the dash was showing 34 MPG. Of course I was varying the RPM's and the V4S is still being broken in. It will be interesting to see what real world MPG is like after the bike is broken in.

I do not have enough time on the MTS V4S to say wether I prefer it to the MTS 1260. My MTS 1260 was the best long distance touring bike I have owned and it was tough giving it up. I have high hopes for the V4S but until I have 3-5k miles on it, I cannot make an informed decision as to which is the better bike.
Excellent summary and “first owner” experience that you’ve shared. Surely no bike is perfect but this V4S checks all the boxes I want/need so I look forward to joining you in the owners club by April. And once the weather has cleared up enough, will definitely get that test ride in to confirm the observations so many others have shared. Appreciate your continued sharing of your experiences as you break in your new ride.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,068
For those who can’t get enough of the Multistrada V4, some good discussion of it on this podcast from Shahin of MotoCorsa (Portland) and Jensen Beeler (motojournalist, Asphalt & Rubber):

TLDR version: they cover both the positives & negatives. Conclude Ducati will sell boatloads of this model given “it’s so fun to ride”. Shahin has one on order (putting his money where his mouth is 🤑)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, today I decided to put a deposit down on red v4s with alloy wheels. Dealership said would be mid March when they should get some in. Salesman called back a little bit after I put a deposit down saying that they would swap the spoked wheels off a red one they just got last week with cast wheels from a grey one if I wanted to receive the bike sooner. I’m stuck in the dead of winter so I was completely fine waiting till end of March but it would be great to stare at it waiting in my garage. Excited to begin this chapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,070
Well, today I decided to put a deposit down on red v4s with alloy wheels. Dealership said would be mid March when they should get some in. Salesman called back a little bit after I put a deposit down saying that they would swap the spoked wheels off a red one they just got last week with cast wheels from a grey one if I wanted to receive the bike sooner. I’m stuck in the dead of winter so I was completely fine waiting till end of March but it would be great to stare at it waiting in my garage. Excited to begin this chapter.

Very cool! Welcome to the club. I’m taking my delivery in April (red V4S with cast wheels) for the same reason of not wanting to only stare at it in my garage with no chance of riding it due to weather.

Did they chat with you about other upgrades? My dealer recommended swapping out the full exhaust system for the Akropovic given the weight savings. Not sure if it’s worth it to me, but something to consider. He did have a stock exhaust (without the pipe) that was removed and damn it was quite heavy. Need to see what the true weight savings would be to assess it’s worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very cool! Welcome to the club. I’m taking my delivery in April (red V4S with cast wheels) for the same reason of not wanting to only stare at it in my garage with no chance of riding it due to weather.

Did they chat with you about other upgrades? My dealer recommended swapping out the full exhaust system for the Akropovic given the weight savings. Not sure if it’s worth it to me, but something to consider. He did have a stock exhaust (without the pipe) that was removed and damn it was quite heavy. Need to see what the true weight savings would be to assess it’s worth.
I have been looking a multistrada for awhile now. Had some reservation about some of the changes they made but I feel everything else offered outweighs the issues/concerns. It ticks all the boxes and I’m excited to have some fun on it.
The dealer hasn’t pushed any upgrades at me. I’m thinking at some point this summer I will get the slip on or full system but for now I’ll keep it. I agree though that the full stock exhaust is probably pretty heavy.

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
185 Posts
Too bad there aren't any YouTube reviews of the new bike for us to really sink our teeth into :rolleyes:

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
185 Posts

Keep us updated on how she goes for you! Would be great getting your thoughts on the V4 as you break it in as you had a lot of time in the saddle of the V2 as well

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I am at almost 500 miles now and the honeymoon phase is over. I am starting to be more critical of the bike and my almost $30k purchase.

Not surprisingly, the biggest issue I have with the bike is Ducati Connect. If you are on a group ride with a bunch of people and want to get your music and GPS going before heading out, you better go out and get your bike going five minutes before everybody else or they will be long gone by the time you are up and running. It takes a while for the bluetooth connection to establish and then the WIFI connection has to establish. I have had a few instances where I needed to restart everything because the WiFi connection would not connect. You also have to make sure your phone has the Ducati Link app open and is unlocked before you put it in the little storage compartment. If you happen to hit anything (the screen or one of the side buttons) that changes the phone from the Ducati Connect app as you slide the phone into the storage compartment then Ducati connect will stop working on the dash and you have to pull the phone back out to get it going again. I may give up on Ducati Connect this week and mount my phone to the bars. Having the navigation on the dash and being able to play music from there was one of the many reasons I decided to upgrade. If having navigation on the dash and a reliable music player is important to you, then make sure to try it for yourself during a test ride or in the shop to understand its limitations.

I am only able to get the music player to play a song at a time either via Ducati Connect or the app on the main speedo screen. After a song completes it stops and you have to hit play again to start the next song. If you watch it on the phone you can see it trying to go from Ducati Connect to the music app to start the next song and something must be failing. I hope Ducati sorts this out as I like to have a playlist of music going on long freeway rides.

I rode 200ish miles yesterday and my right foot kept going numb. I assumed it was from the vibration I was getting on the foot pegs, which feels more significant than the peg vibration I got on any past Multistrada's. I had assumed the V4 would vibrate less than the 1260, but I was either wrong or my bike has an issue. I may have sorted out why my right foot was going numb. I moved the seat from the high position to the low position and my right foot seems less bothered by the vibration now and does not appear to be going numb. I only rode it for ~40 miles after moving the seat so I need to get a longer ride in to be certain. I hope I can sort this one out as it made riding the MTS V4S very uncomfortable. Of course I am not sure what other comfort issues moving the seat to the low position might cause. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam, so I assumed the high position was going to be best for me. If you think you are going to be using the high seat setting, make sure to try it out on the test ride. I am wishing that I did.

When you are removing the rear seat be careful with the connector for the heated seat. The connector on the bike sits in a little slot to keep it in place and that slot looks like it could break pretty easily. Every time I disconnect the rear heated seat the connector slides out of the slot on the bike so it seems like a matter of time before it breaks. My dealer installed a battery tender lead, but they claimed they had to leave it under the riders seat because there was no way to route it out from under the seat. So I have to remove the rider and passenger seats to get to the battery tender lead. I need to look at this a bit more and see if I can rig something up.

The powerlet outlet under the passenger seat is useless if you have the toolkit that comes with the bike in there. The space has just enough room for the toolkit and when the toolkit is in there it blocks the powerlet outlet completely. You are going to have to store the toolkit in the panniers or top case if you want to use the powerlet outlet and keep the toolkit with you.

Sygic is awful for navigation. It always takes a slower route than either Google Maps or Apple maps shows that I should to take. Last night I was five miles from home and there was a direct route, with no traffic according to Apple Maps and Google Maps, but Sygic wanted to route me through a neighborhoods instead of taking the direct route. The volume of Sygic is always lower than the music volume too, so it comes in almost inaudible, compared to any music that is playing, and I have not found a way to adjust it yet.

I filled up this morning, rode 131 miles, and then filled up again. The bike took in 3.9 gallons, and I tried to fill it to the same level that I had filled it to first thing in the morning, so I got around 33.5 MPG. I took my MTS 1260 on that same ride a few weeks ago and got 38 MPG. Granted my MTS V4 is not quite broken in but I can live with a 5 MPG difference. Later this week, after I have the 600 mile service done, I am going to try a long freeway ride. I think I will get on I-5 and head south until I reach the end of the tank or as close as I can get to it. That will give me some idea of freeway MPG. Especially since I will need to come back the same way after I refuel.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,077
I am at almost 500 miles now and the honeymoon phase is over. I am starting to be more critical of the bike and my almost $30k purchase.

Not surprisingly, the biggest issue I have with the bike is Ducati Connect. If you are on a group ride with a bunch of people and want to get your music and GPS going before heading out, you better go out and get your bike going five minutes before everybody else or they will be long gone by the time you are up and running. It takes a while for the bluetooth connection to establish and then the WIFI connection has to establish. I have had a few instances where I needed to restart everything because the WiFi connection would not connect. You also have to make sure your phone has the Ducati Link app open and is unlocked before you put it in the little storage compartment. If you happen to hit anything (the screen or one of the side buttons) that changes the phone from the Ducati Connect app as you slide the phone into the storage compartment then Ducati connect will stop working on the dash and you have to pull the phone back out to get it going again. I may give up on Ducati Connect this week and mount my phone to the bars. Having the navigation on the dash and being able to play music from there was one of the many reasons I decided to upgrade. If having navigation on the dash and a reliable music player is important to you, then make sure to try it for yourself during a test ride or in the shop to understand its limitations.

I am only able to get the music player to play a song at a time either via Ducati Connect or the app on the main speedo screen. After a song completes it stops and you have to hit play again to start the next song. If you watch it on the phone you can see it trying to go from Ducati Connect to the music app to start the next song and something must be failing. I hope Ducati sorts this out as I like to have a playlist of music going on long freeway rides.

I rode 200ish miles yesterday and my right foot kept going numb. I assumed it was from the vibration I was getting on the foot pegs, which feels more significant than the peg vibration I got on any past Multistrada's. I had assumed the V4 would vibrate less than the 1260, but I was either wrong or my bike has an issue. I may have sorted out why my right foot was going numb. I moved the seat from the high position to the low position and my right foot seems less bothered by the vibration now and does not appear to be going numb. I only rode it for ~40 miles after moving the seat so I need to get a longer ride in to be certain. I hope I can sort this one out as it made riding the MTS V4S very uncomfortable. Of course I am not sure what other comfort issues moving the seat to the low position might cause. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam, so I assumed the high position was going to be best for me. If you think you are going to be using the high seat setting, make sure to try it out on the test ride. I am wishing that I did.

When you are removing the rear seat be careful with the connector for the heated seat. The connector on the bike sits in a little slot to keep it in place and that slot looks like it could break pretty easily. Every time I disconnect the rear heated seat the connector slides out of the slot on the bike so it seems like a matter of time before it breaks. My dealer installed a battery tender lead, but they claimed they had to leave it under the riders seat because there was no way to route it out from under the seat. So I have to remove the rider and passenger seats to get to the battery tender lead. I need to look at this a bit more and see if I can rig something up.

The powerlet outlet under the passenger seat is useless if you have the toolkit that comes with the bike in there. The space has just enough room for the toolkit and when the toolkit is in there it blocks the powerlet outlet completely. You are going to have to store the toolkit in the panniers or top case if you want to use the powerlet outlet and keep the toolkit with you.

Sygic is awful for navigation. It always takes a slower route than either Google Maps or Apple maps shows that I should to take. Last night I was five miles from home and there was a direct route, with no traffic according to Apple Maps and Google Maps, but Sygic wanted to route me through a neighborhoods instead of taking the direct route. The volume of Sygic is always lower than the music volume too, so it comes in almost inaudible, compared to any music that is playing, and I have not found a way to adjust it yet.

I filled up this morning, rode 131 miles, and then filled up again. The bike took in 3.9 gallons, and I tried to fill it to the same level that I had filled it to first thing in the morning, so I got around 33.5 MPG. I took my MTS 1260 on that same ride a few weeks ago and got 38 MPG. Granted my MTS V4 is not quite broken in but I can live with a 5 MPG difference. Later this week, after I have the 600 mile service done, I am going to try a long freeway ride. I think I will get on I-5 and head south until I reach the end of the tank or as close as I can get to it. That will give me some idea of freeway MPG. Especially since I will need to come back the same way after I refuel.
Thanks for sharing. I am crossing fingers that these software issues with Ducati Connect get addressed with future firmware updates. Let’s hope Ducati was smart enough to build that capability into their app architecture just like nearly every other software UI.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Thanks for the review.
This is the sort of real world review I'm looking for.

Thanks for sharing. I am crossing fingers that these software issues with Ducati Connect get addressed with future firmware updates. Let’s hope Ducati was smart enough to build that capability into their app architecture just like nearly every other software UI.
Ducati and other bike manufacturers need to give up on phone software, stick to bikes and install CarPlay and Android.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath, the usability of the Ducati Link app has been junk since they first launched it, from what I read here. I have been able to get it working reliably maybe 5 or 6 times in the 2 seasons I've used it.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
4 cylinder bikes vibe in a different frequency range (higher frequency resonances)... and we humans are more sensitive to those frequencies. It's why the (otherwise outstanding) S1000XR has struggled for touring. By all reports BMW has sorted that out this year but it took what - 5 years to get there? So if you thought the new Multi was going to be less vibey you may be surprised... different vibey is more likely. Even my Tiger (triple that is exceptionally smooth) has noticeable touring speed vibes where my Multi has none.

2061 - 2080 of 2279 Posts