Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you excited for the V4 Multistrada to be announced on Oct 15?

• Yes

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I coulda had a V8...

Votes: 5 13.2%
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone excited/interested in this new V4 model being unveiled soon?
This is the Ducati preview launch page:

Theorem #1
4 is lighter than 2

The adaptation of V4 to a smaller bore achieves the objective of a weight reduction of 1.2 kg compared to the previous V2 generation.

Theorem #2
The Power is smooth

170 HP of pure sportiness. Powerful, smooth and always ready when needed. For a distinctive character, even more Ducati, at low, medium and high rpm.

Theorem #3
The world is not enough.

The earth’s circumference is 40,075 km across.
Try 60,000 km.

Revzilla Video:

News #1:

Highlights
  • New Ducati Multistrada V4 to be unveiled in a month or two
  • Ducati Multistrada V4 will be a 2021 model and get a 1,158 cc engine
  • New Multistrada V4 will join the Multistrada 950, 1260 models

News #2:

News#3:

News #4:
Ducati Multistrada V4 equipped with front and rear radar technology that detects nearby vehicles to be revealed on October 15.

News #5:
New Ducati Multistrada V4 Will Make 170 Horsepower

News #6:
New 2021 Ducati Multistrada V4 Gets Adaptive Cruise Control

News #7:
Sneak Peek: New Ducati Multistrada V4 With Adaptive Cruise Control

·
Registered
338 Posts
All V4s are going to have a traditional double swingarm? I'll take that with a grain of salt since it's just a spy report, but if that's true I think Ducati will regret it.

Single sided is iconic for the brand. The trellis frame is slowly going away, too. I guess they'll be telling us about the benefits of valve springs next.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Conventional swingarm is superior in every way, nobody needs desmodromic valves anymore. Ducati is thinking ahead, not staying bogged down by useless tradition

·
Registered
338 Posts
Absolutely. Abandoning everything that makes your brand unique is a guaranteed way to increase market share. If they'd have focused on making all their bikes Suzuki clones back in the 90s, they probably could have avoided getting bought by the Germans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I'm seriously interested in serious points made here, in advance of purchasing a new Multi in the coming months. What do you think this Multi V4 will offer that is NOT provided by the current 950S and 1260S models?
  • Will it be the power/torque/fuel mileage?
  • Will it be the active cruise control radar?
  • Better service frequencies (more mileage/time between service intervals)?
  • Will it be "more capable" off road (enduro) than the current Enduro models?
I'm seriously trying to figure out the expected features/benefits to this new model (as we hypothesize in advanced of the actual announcement)...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hopefully they are NOT following in the footsteps of Harley-Davidson... :oops:
Completely different situation. Harley is in the situation it is because for decades they refused to change anything about their operating model, from the bikes to the marketing, as the target audience of that model got smaller and smaller, both in absolute terms and relative to the overall motorcycle market. They adopted their core audience's anti-innovation beliefs as a pillar of their corporate identity, and didn't see the damage being done until it was too late. Harley abandoned innovation in favor of their identity. If Ducati was going to make a similar mistake, it would be in the opposite direction.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
All V4s are going to have a traditional double swingarm? I'll take that with a grain of salt since it's just a spy report, but if that's true I think Ducati will regret it.

Single sided is iconic for the brand. The trellis frame is slowly going away, too. I guess they'll be telling us about the benefits of valve springs next.
Agree, I'm not interested in a more dirt oriented Multi... my S is perfect for my kind of sport touring. If they put a 180+ hp V4 and semi-active Ohlins in it and kept everything else the same I'd be SORELY tempted to buy it (because "more of a good thing"). But if they give it dirt chops... it may be great for the folks that are into dirt on $25k bikes... but it'll compromise too many of the things that made me want the Multi over the other options in 2015, including the lovely and SUPER convenient wrt Maintenance SSSA.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Anyone excited/interested in this new V4 model being unveiled soon?

Highlights
  • New Ducati Multistrada V4 to be unveiled in a month or two
  • Ducati Multistrada V4 will be a 2021 model and get a 1,158 cc engine
  • New Multistrada V4 will join the Multistrada 950, 1260 models
Curious, Yes
Exited, No
Interested (in purchasing), No

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Completely different situation. Harley is in the situation it is because for decades they refused to change anything about their operating model, from the bikes to the marketing, as the target audience of that model got smaller and smaller, both in absolute terms and relative to the overall motorcycle market. They adopted their core audience's anti-innovation beliefs as a pillar of their corporate identity, and didn't see the damage being done until it was too late. Harley abandoned innovation in favor of their identity. If Ducati was going to make a similar mistake, it would be in the opposite direction.
Sure thing. So outside of the business dynamics for Ducati, what do you think this new V4 bike will bring to the market that is not being addressed yet by current Ducati models?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree, I'm not interested in a more dirt oriented Multi... my S is perfect for my kind of sport touring. If they put a 180+ hp V4 and semi-active Ohlins in it and kept everything else the same I'd be SORELY tempted to buy it (because "more of a good thing". But if they give it dirt chops... it may be great for the folks that are into dirt on $25k bikes... but it'll compromise too many of the things that made me want the Multi over the other options in 2015, including the lovely and SUPER convenient wrt Maintenance SSSA.
Thanks for chiming in DaveK. I respect your opinion especially given your 4,053(!!!) posts here. I'm hard pressed to see many riders investing in a $25k "dirt bike" so maybe this V4 is designed to appeal more to a European adventure riding market than what we have here in the US market? Trying to decipher Ducati strategy here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got a new 1260S, have had many different bikes in the past 25 years. I would not have bought it with anything else then a twin. The V4 is fore sure a massive power plant, but to me it lacks the soul of a Ducati. If you want the best for crossing a continent I am sure its better with V4. Let us hope they keep the twin for us not so effictive persons.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sure thing. So outside of the business dynamics for Ducati, what do you think this new V4 bike will bring to the market that is not being addressed yet by current Ducati models?
It will be smother and a more direct competitor to the BMW S1000XR but that's about it.
It will definitely have more HP than the current V2 albeit with less Torque.
The V4 makes sense in the Panigale but not as much for the Multistrada. Even less for the Enduro.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Since the V4 is apparently going to exist along-side the 1260, I can't fathom the end goal here. I think we still don't know enough about the V4. Is it a replacement, or a distinct new model, targeting a different audience? Hard to say, until we see more details.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
The current V4 has pretty decent torque... I'm not sure that will be an issue. I suspect what they'll do is knock a few k off the rev limit (which saves money on topend components) and use that reduced rev range to give them latitude in the bottom end build (bit more displacement without more engine stress).

That won't result in a Super Duke class torque monster but probably something similar to the 1200/1260 at the bottom end but with more thrust at the ceiling. One of the things I always liked about the Multi vs. other "ADV" bikes like the GS was the top end fun... so I suspect I would like the motor characteristics.

As long as it's not crushed by too much 'Enduro' DNA. (Not saying some folks won't like that... just not my thing, big ADV bikes are too heavy for me to really enjoy them - I'm always thinking "this would be SOO much better on a smaller displacement/MUCH lighter bike".

Reactions: MTSBoom

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Since the V4 is apparently going to exist along-side the 1260, I can't fathom the end goal here. I think we still don't know enough about the V4. Is it a replacement, or a distinct new model, targeting a different audience? Hard to say, until we see more details.
the rumors are that it was going to replace the Enduro AND 1260S.

That didn't really track for me... but that traditional swingarm combined with its more 1260S'ish size definitely throws weight into that argument.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If they trash the current street Multi for a V4 Enduro, I suspect we'll see a V4 Supersport.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I received an email from Ducati today talking about the new V4 1158cc. They'll send weekly emails with 1 update at the time.

Today's update was about the engine's weight: -1.2kg vs the current 1260. Yes, slightly lighter than the v-twin.

I agree with the other participants in not seeing where they'll fit the V4 in the lineup. The only placement I see it making sense, considering the leaked pictures with the double swingarm and the 19" front wheel, is a replacement to the current Enduro. They'd be changing big and heavy to big and virtually as heavy, and if @DaveK 's suspicious above is correct the lowered rev limit in exchange better lower rev band behavior can be a good approach for those intending on using the bike in the dirt.

Question to those more mechanically-knowledgeable: could the V4 present any advance vs the v-twin in terms of maintenance simplicity and/or reliability?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
If they do a v4 Supersport, I would be very very interested. That would make for an epic sports touring bike.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts