Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you Multistrada 1200/1260 SportBike riders considering as a replacement when the time comes?
The bike could be a Ducati or other, existing or hoping to be produced.
On that latter note, here's an artistic representation courtesy of Sam1199.

Attachments

Reactions: ducati_thomas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check it, the Multi is a Superbike with it's very powerful engine. Even though they didnt make the new V4 all sporty like a 2018 1260 Pikes Peak, there are so many options in this category now, and not all of them are necessarily powerhouses like a SuperDuke GT or S1000XR. You could get a Tracer 900, Tracer 700, F900XR, Versys 1000. If i was 40years older and no longer interested in hauling ass, I would get a CB500X. And yes, I do plan to ride deep into old age!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm still giving the SuperSport some thought. If a decent priced MV Agusta Turismo Veloce came my way, I'd be hard pressed to ignore it. Though they're even more exotic than a Duc, with dealers few and far between.

For now, I'm fine with my '13 GT, though.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm still giving the SuperSport some thought. If a decent priced MV Agusta Turismo Veloce came my way, I'd be hard pressed to ignore it. Though they're even more exotic than a Duc, with dealers few and far between.

For now, I'm fine with my '13 GT, though.
We need a 1260 SS, i'd buy that in a second.

·
Registered
283 Posts
While I'll definitely test ride the 21 multi, I will also test ride the BMW GS 1250 HP with intentions of trading the 1260

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We need a 1260 SS, i'd buy that in a second.
How about a V4 SuperSport which is essentially what Sam1199 Photoshop'd above?
Streetfigter V4 with fairing, regular handlebars and a Multistrada like subframe that fits solid panniers.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
That concept reminds of my old 2003 VFR. I love my Multi, but that rendition would definitely pique my interest.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think the SS or the SF are large enough motorcycles to do serious touring work, regardless of storage options. A weekend trip, sure, but in order to replace a Multistrada in my eyes, it would need to be capable of a cross country ride, without becoming a torture rack for the rider.

I'd love to see Ducati bring back the ST, but I think it would have to be an entirely new bike, not based on anything they currently make. Given how slow the market for dedicated ST machines is, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I will test ride the 21 Multi V4s but I would consider the BMW S1000 XR. My inseam is 30 inches so if I went BMW, I would probably buy the low suspension version. I would also look at the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT. The revised Tracer has a lower seat height than the previous version.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will test ride the 21 Multi V4s but I would consider the BMW S1000 XR. My inseam is 30 inches so if I went BMW, I would probably buy the low suspension version. I would also look at the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT. The revised Tracer has a lower seat height than the previous version.
I also have a 30". I can flat foot my 1260 at the lower seat height but actually prefer the higher setting for legroom comfort. I'm bored so I looked it up the seat heights for you:

Seat Heights
Multi V4 , 840 mm - 860 mm (33.1 in - 33.9 in)
Multi 1260, 825 mm - 845 mm (32.5 in - 33.3 in)
Tracer GT , 810 mm - 825 mm (31.9 in - 32.5 in)
S 1000 XR , 790 mm* - 840 mm (31.1 in* - 33.1 in) *requires optional lowered suspension

Reactions: Duckfoot22

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks DarR. I had that information. I can ride my Multi 1200 '17 in either the low or high position. I have the comfort seat which is a bit thicker so I keep it in the low position..If I buy a V4, I would purchase the low seat that gives a height of 810mm. I am not sure if the low seat can also be set at 830 mm. That would be perfect unless the low seat is a brick like the low seat for the Multi 950.. I can ride taller, light dirt bikes but with a heavy adv bike I like to get my feet down, especially in traffic.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Jeff_Tippett
I read you about the traffic bit. I have to be diligent especially when two-up.
I've noticed seat height doesn't tell the whole story. Both seat and sag compression comes into play. Seat width also.

·
Registered
477 Posts
People complain about the buzziness of the XR (at least pre-2020 models) but I would hands-down go for an XR as my next bike unless Ducati gets their act together for those of us looking for a sport tourer type bike.

SD GT is a pretty good alternative, but BMW doesn't tend to suffer from as many reliability issues as KTM can, from what I've read (and other than a leaking water pump that was replaced under warranty, my '17 S1000R was super reliable)

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
I was hoping the new XR would have a bit more of the S1000RR ballistic top end... but I agree with you that it is a solid choice now (new model is not getting dinged for buzziness anymore).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been riding Multistrada now for 5 years. Earlier I had several ST -type bikes which I loved. With Multi I was looking at more relaxed riding position but I never understood the idea of a large and heavy motorcycle off-road. What I would like in Multi is the suspension from sport or ST bike. It would bring a sportier more precise feeling to the bike.

The only good thing in Multi's suspension is the possibility to ride fast over speed bumps ;).

How about Streetfighter V4 with little stronger and longer rear frame? Streetfighter V4GT (like Superduke GT).

·
Registered
231 Posts
My dream replacement is the 2023/24 Multistrada v4 with 200hp!

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my eyes, MV's aesthetics are second to none. Why did you part with it, if you don't mind my asking?
Well, for some reason I wanted something totally different and I chose Harley Davidson Road King 2020 to replace that MV. And now I'm kind of coming back, sold my HD and bought new MS V4S.

MV was an excellent bike for all kind of roads, people always stopped to talk with me and asking questions about it. Design details all over the bike were just amazing, except the front light.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kaj, do u have the v4s now? If yes, what are your impressions?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts