Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks! I would have liked a rounded tank... in fact i tried an early Monster tank on there but due to the frame angle, and tall engine it didnt anywhere near fit, hence the ST4 tank. I have recently bought an AC TIG welder so can now weld alloy at home, so in the near future i will be having a go at making a tank for it out of Aluminimum, but i need to make a wheeling machine first!

The handlebars... they are wide... one of the reasons I like the bike so much is that I love the rideing position, and the handling. In the design brief for this build i made the decision to keep the ride height, foot peg position and handlebars the same. So while i will modify the footrests, they will be in the same position. A couple of years ago i made the mistake of building a bike that was so uncomfortable for me to ride, form over function! That got sold pretty quickly! Picture below.

Which brings me onto the seat... I must have made 5 or 6! They are easy to make to get the basic shape out of insulation foam, so i made various ones... thin.... wide... angled... futuristic... in fact my wife asked me if I was OK as she noticed me sitting in the garage staring at the bike for long periods :grin2::grin2:

In the end i opted for what you see. I knew it would polarise opinion! Usually i sell my projects on, much of the pleasure for me is in the build... but this one is a keeper, hence the brief for simple, light, carbs, minimal electronics, ( i almost wavered the other day on this... past builds have used cheap and effective keyless electronic ignition swithches, but I opted for a simple key switch!)

The seat will be finished soon... i will post a picture later.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've got an '07 1100S as a project bike. The main feature will be the Panigale fairing I'm installing....it'll be a 3/4 fairing so that the horizontal cylinder is visible. I was going to have a custom exhaust built, which would look like Ducati's WSBK exhaust, but couldn't find anyone that was willing to do the fabrication. She'll have a full Arrow header/mid-pipe, but I haven't decided on the cans. At the moment, I'm shortening the stock cans off a 1098 and will get those mounted.....as a start. There are some big cosmetic issues to overcome, e.g. Panigale fairing side panels mating the MTS tank, but I've decided to get it running/rideable then tinker w/cosmetics. Id luv to get OZ wheels, but haven't decided to spend the $$$$$ yet.

Pics? I have NO clue how to post a pic, so......

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've got an '07 1100S as a project bike. The main feature will be the Panigale fairing I'm installing....it'll be a 3/4 fairing so that the horizontal cylinder is visible. I was going to have a custom exhaust built, which would look like Ducati's WSBK exhaust, but couldn't find anyone that was willing to do the fabrication. She'll have a full Arrow header/mid-pipe, but I haven't decided on the cans. At the moment, I'm shortening the stock cans off a 1098 and will get those mounted.....as a start. There are some big cosmetic issues to overcome, e.g. Panigale fairing side panels mating the MTS tank, but I've decided to get it running/rideable then tinker w/cosmetics. Id luv to get OZ wheels, but haven't decided to spend the $$$$$ yet.

Pics? I have NO clue how to post a pic, so......
here are a couple of photos you sent me, looks amazing!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
some more pictures... the seat came back from the trimmers, I was very pleased with the results, and its comfortable for me which is the important bit. not as comfortable perhaps as the original though!

I am getting to the stage where it all needs to be stripped down, and the frame, tank and seat painting. just a few more jobs to do...

I am very undecided what colour to do the frame and the tank and seat... suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
playing around in Photoshop.... my skills are limited here! best I can do but it gives an idea...

·
Super Moderator
8,183 Posts
Yellow and black always works..
Orange and blue
Red and White

Maybe two-tone the tank to make it look smaller somehow? The upper primary color and the lower part grey to match engine maybe?
Google Aprilia 6.5

And it also depends if your thinking oldschool or modern.
Oldschool is easier to sell I reckon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd love to see in british racing green and gold ala John Player Special Lotus F1. I like gulf colors as well, but I don't think it works on this one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd love to see in british racing green and gold ala John Player Special Lotus F1. I like gulf colors as well, but I don't think it works on this one.
or black and gold JPS colors from Ronnie Peterson and Emerson Fittipaldi years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
a little bit more progress... I am almost to the stage where I can take it all apart and have the frame powder coated. I have decided its going to be silver on the frame, the tank and seat colour can wait a while to decide.

I have finished off the fuel tank plate. there are two outlets, going to the fuel tap, so I can have a reserve position, hence the varying heights of the outlets.

that was an expensive piece of tube... £4.90! Sold to me

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Beautiful build mate. I've never had a bad time playing with the lathe. A word of caution, be sure the gaskets used on the bottom of the fuel tank are rated for ethanol blends. The ethanol eats non-ethanol safe rubber, fuel lines, etc...over time of course.

I'm running my '10 MultiStrada 1200s on a EarthX LiFePo4 battery with built in battery mgt system (BMS). Super light weight. They also make one that is about half the height of a conventional battery that puts out more power. It will give you that much more room under the tank. Just be sure the battery has BMS to balance and protect the cells.

That front fender put a smile on my face. I remember trimming down the fender on my first streetbike, a 1974 CB750K, to give it a leaner look. Ended up looking just like what you've got there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Brian, I will use a genuine Ducati "O" ring on the tank, they are not that expensive. yes the front mudgaurd... Old Sckool, just what I wanted...

here is the frame with all the modifications finished and welded, ready to go off to the powder coaters. Over the years I have used many… some good, some absolutely dire. For a good few years now I have used a company called Redditch Shot blasting. the owner is a biker himself, and understands your requirements. They have a good selection of colours and I have never been disappointed with the results. they recently did a set of wheels for me, and when I collected them I noticed a ring around the inside of the rims… he saw me looking… he explained that the easy way is to hang the rims with a hook through the valve hole… but this he said leaves a mark, which looks poor, and also can affect the valve sealing. so he uses a long wire around the outside, which is under the tyre. Attention to detail, which I like.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
while the frame is away I have cleaned up the carbs* and fitted the Dynojet springs and needles which were for a Monster 900...* However the jets wont be suitable for the twin plug 1000cc engine, and need to be a bigger.* it will be a bit of trial and error, but for now I have increased their size...*

I know I will get some stick for this but for MANY years I have drilled jets out!* A lot of people don't realise that some (but not all...) jet numbers refer to millimetres...* so a 140 main jet has a 1.4 mm hole in it.* A 70 idle jet has a 0.7mm hole.* this is quite convenient if you have a set of Micro drills, as with a pin vice you can simply twist the drill through the jet.*

In the old days of Weber DCOE and Delortto DHLA carbs I did this all the time, as did many others!* I always used to check the size of the hole in jets rather than rely on the number in case someone got there with the drill before me!* *I can hear people sucking their teeth at this!

If you have a set of number micro drills, you can also do half size increments...

To clean the carbs up, I bead Blasted them with glass bead.* the secret here is use as low a pressure as you can to clean.* I made the mistake for years to use a high pressure, which shatters the glass beads, turning them to dust, where they lose their peening power and you end up with a rough surface.* I used a few bungs and duct tape to seal them, but of course they still need a full strip and rebuild after.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here is the engine finished. I have welded some lugs on the sides of the inlet manifolds so they can be bolted together. the rod sticking out the top of the carbs is a rubber support mounting which bolts to the frame

few days off now until the frame comes back

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Those intake manifolds look too long and multiple curves. I don't think they will be good for flow but I have found that oem long manifolds are great for mid-range power so I cannot wait to see a dyno comparison between yours and a stock multi.

I cannot tell if you improved on the stock pipe routing and have given clearance for the oil filter and drain to be removed without touching the exhaust pipe.

I do have to complain that you did not drain the engine oil before pulling the engine, my issue I know as people bring me motors all the time that are still full.

No problem drilling jets as long as you have a way to compare when you are changing them, I run into brand x,Y and Z always being different all with the same numbers so as long as you always make your own you are no worse off.

Bike is coming along nicely I do look forward to seeing it done and on a dyno as well to see what changed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
so the rebuild starts...* the frame is back from the powder coaters and once again its a fantastic job.* we have several companies local, but their performance in the past has been nothing but shocking!* Instead I chose to travel a 40 mile round trip to Redditch Shotblasters as they are simply the best I have found for powder coat.* the finish and attention to detail on the frame is amazing.*

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As an aside from bike building I have been doing some work on my old milling machine... A while ago I treated myself to a new one, well almost new... It had a lot of the features I wanted and while not as big as I would have liked, it seemed to fit the bill.

Well after using it for a month, I decided it was crap, and no where near as good as my old one! It was nowhere near as accurate, struggled to make decent cuts, the adjustment on the vertical was so course it was almost unusable! good job I kept the old one!

So I placed the trusty old miller ( i bought it 40 years ago, that makes me feel old!!) back in its place and gave it a bit of love. One of the reasons I like the new one was it had a full set of collets, my old one had just three, which was very restrictive. over the years I had tried to get more, but its an unusual size and I have never seen any. The miller must be from the 30's I think!

I bought a set of ER25 collets and set about converting the headstock to accept these. An accurate bit of work, it took a while to get the miller spindle in the lathe to run with zero run out. I managed it though and carefully turned the internal taper, finishing off with a fine stone in the tool post grinder. Its worked a treat!

I also replaced the threads and nuts on the bed with some off Ebay, which has taken all the slack out, the old threads were badly worn as you can imagine from probably 90 years of use! the bearings in the headstock were remarkably good though, they may have been replaced before I got it.

So its here to stay, and I will be converting it to accept some digital readouts which are cheap these days. years ago I converted my lathe to digital using some digital calipers, this transformed its ease of use. I may treat the lathe to some proper ones as well

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
A bit of accurate filing and drilling… I drilled and tapped the end of the throttle spindle and filed a register on it to fit an adaptor for the TPS. This links directly to the new Ignitech ignition. from previous experience, adding 3D ignition greatly improves drive-ability and fuel consumption.

Here are the finished home made inlet manifolds. They have a slight register so an “O” ring separates the carbs from the manifold, I didn’t want metal to metal. I also cross braced them...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
here are the last couple of photos for a while... I will be doing some small jobs and the wiring, something I love doing... will be making the loom from scratch as so much has changed! Also taking a break over the holiday (unless she goes out !)

then in the new year it will be colour decision...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great Bike Build

I'm really amazed at what you're doing. Thanks for letting me watch the process.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts