Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on a 35 mile dirt ride in Bodie, CA. The dirt part getting into Bodie was easily passable by any motorcycle. Though, we took luckyboy pass through to Hawthorne. It was technically difficult because of the rock jungle and ruts. a few water crossings also thrown in and some cows.

I am now convinced that anyone who thought this bike isn't off road capable is just mostly worried about scratching the pretty Ducati, or they are worried about mud or deep sand. Though, if I had knobbies on the Multi, I can't see there being any issues in the mud and sand.

The multistrada is VERY excellent off road in my opinion. Here is a video where someone was following me and taking video. About 1:50 in you will get to the dirt part. I am the one in the white helmet with black leather jacket on a Titanium Multi. YouTube:

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome....were you using stock tires? Break-free much? Did you ride in "enduro" mode or ?
Stock tires, they work awesome. I was in Enduro mode. I was losing traction, but that is normal. I have been riding dirt for many many years, and I have a KTM 525Exc dirt bike with knobbies, and spinning the tires is normal affair. Dirt riding is about riding the rear tire.

Next pass I need to turn off ABS and Traction control to compare the difference.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Bold move.. not even any crash bars ! Wish I had that much confidence. I have an 800GS for that stuff:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually do have crash bars, header protector, bark busters, fork sliders and rear sliders. :)

I didn't have to use the crash bars. Though, the header protector was doing its job!

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
You wanna have some buddies with you ,Just in case...
Dirt is fine but Slippery as snot WET clay roads and sand are a no no...
You would have better chances with different tires for sure...
I can't imagine pushing it by yourself , without risking BIG $$$ damage....
Lots of fun .

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for posting.
Also like the music. Oppan, that is some Gangnam style ridin' :D

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Nicely done! I like taking mine off road. I'm no avid dirt rider, but find the Multi to be plenty capable. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dirt Ride

Nice ride. What kind of speeds were you traveling at while on the dirt portion in the video?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1st and 2nd gear. I was standing up mostly, so not sure on speed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I watched that video: you were going about as slow as I did when I went on my Mulistrada 'adventure'. The Triumph and Beemer 800cc adventure bikes kicked my arse as they would have yours. On the KTM I was doing around 150kph on the same roads and felt like I could do 200 (it just doesn't go that fast though).
Dont take this personally; there's just no comparison. In the company of the 800cc Adventure bikes with big wheels or my KTM with 17" wheels and Contis; the Ducati is a slug.

After some 4000 kilometres around New Zealand on an adventure ride taking in sealed roads, gravel and 4WD tracks: I decided that Italians don't know shit about 'off road'!
The Multistrada was a real handful particularly in the 4WD tracks. The bigger rocks etc would easily bump steer it and the front end was 'pushing' heavily on normal gravel roads trying to keep up with even the slowest of the 800cc riders. I had Dunlop 607 tyres on and all up, it sucked.
First up you need to set the suspension WAY softer than the Enduro setting and next up; don't even bother!

Now I'm lucky enough to have a KTM690smc (motard) in my shed as well.
Last week I fitted Continental 17" TKC80's front and rear. On Saturday I headed out to find some gravel and forest trails. This was what it should be about. The KTM was light and easy to flick around, the front wheel tracked well and I was pouring the power on as soon as I could see no cars were coming. The big power slides were hilarious fun.

The KTM has two tanks, belly pan and other bits to make it an adventure bike. It works so well I might just have to buy a spare set of wheels!

There's no comparison at all: the Ducati is a whale that will go off road if you don't have anything else but leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the new 180/17 and 120/17 Conti TKC80's available for the bike will make it better but there's just no way this side of Hell you can seriously call the Multistrada a capable off road bike.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
^^^
Agree , But there are a lot of other bikes that will not do what the Multi can do off road.
Of course they are not sold as "Enduros"

It can handle MILD off road conditions...

·
Registered
426 Posts
^^^
Agree , But there are a lot of other bikes that will not do what the Multi can do off road.
Of course they are not sold as "Enduros"

It can handle MILD off road conditions...
That's correct. We should be careful about describing the Multistrada's abilities off road. Its CAPABLE of going off road but cannot be described as excellent our most of the superlatives I've seen used to describe its abilities.

When we compare bikes in a specific genre we generally start by comparing them with the very best in each class. For 'off road' capability then, we should be comparing it first to real adventure bikes, then with cross over bikes then maybe with sport tourers we might take off road.
Obviously compared to any big single adventure bike with large wheels: the MTS is pitiful.
Compared to the latest crop of adventure bikes like the GS BMWs or Triumph adventure bikes, out is a long way behind.
Compared with other cross over bikes, its not bad at all.
Compared with other touring bikes we might take off road' it seems pretty good.

However, a blanket statement that "the Multistrada is a great off roader is patently ridiculous.
It must always be put in context.

·
Registered
545 Posts
However, a blanket statement that "the Multistrada is a great off roader is patently ridiculous.
It must always be put in context.
Wow, overreact much? :rolleyes:

The guy's loving his bike and the 'dirt' he refers to and shows in his video is pretty tame stuff. We all know the Multi is not a true adventure beast/dual sport, but I think we've also seen the videos where, at least in the hands of a skilled rider, it's better than it would seem on first glance. Which is all it's meant to be. Not sure where you thought he was in any way saying it was on par with the bikes you referenced in the dirt. It's obviously not. Just like they're not on par with the Multi on the pavement.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To the point and correct. It can survive a little offroad but that's about it My KTM 450 exc is a lot better than the KTM motard off road also. Wayyyy better.

It's all relative. To someone with a lot of dirt bike experience they know right away what the MTS abilities are. Give me some tarmac though... WATCHOUT!!

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Last month's Cycle World rated the multi ahead of the Triumph and Moto Guzzi, second only to the Yamaha in off road performance. And overall the multi was the unanimous favorite among the reviewers, by a fair margin judging from the tone. So it was a bit surprising that this month's Cycle World gave Yamaha Best in category while the multi got an honorable mention.

The video is cool and shows the amount of off-road fun a skilled mortal can have. For me the ability for light off road action is a bonus. Yes, if you are serious about dirt riding and can afford a multi, you can probably afford an actual dirt bike too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts