Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up that the Link app does not work once the iOS 11 public beta is installed. My guess as to when we'll get an update from Ducati that addresses this: never. That's based on the number of easy to fix bugs that still remain in the app. I hope I'm wrong because despite the lack of polish, I still liked using the app.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Link app is shite. Constantly bombed out all last week on my trip so I gave up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never worked for me with iOS 10, I dunno why iOS 11 should be any different...
Huh. Other than sometimes it took a couple open and close cycles to find the bike at the beginning of a ride, it worked really well for me.

Except the part where it looks for rides near your location. That was always busted.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that iOS 11 Public Beta 3 is out, I’m pleased to report that the link app works again.im surprised at how much I missed it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure the link app is no longer really being supported
From a practical perspective, I think you're right. But it can't be officially retired as it's still listed as a selling point for the Multi on the Ducati USA site.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The link app has disappeared from the iOS AppStore. Ducati is behaving like it’s still pretty much there but I don’t see it. I emailed ducati about it but still no reply. I heard somewhere that a new link app is about to be released but can’t seem to find anything about it.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
I wish they'd just open source the thing so we can fix it and make it actually useful. I'm not holding out much hope that a newer version would be better unless they went to a different developer (I suspect there wasn't anyone under 40 on the first dev team... more of an 'old school' design)

Reactions: suruppak

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The link app has disappeared from the iOS AppStore. Ducati is behaving like it’s still pretty much there but I don’t see it. I emailed ducati about it but still no reply. I heard somewhere that a new link app is about to be released but can’t seem to find anything about it.
Well I hope so. I like the concept of the app, but it's so wonky as it currently exists.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
In the press releases for the 1260, they all say the new app will be released "sometime in February"; well since that has come and gone, who knows when?

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
I think it was maybe 6-8 months late the first time around.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
In the press releases for the 1260, they all say the new app will be released "sometime in February"; well since that has come and gone, who knows when?
hmmmm ... well, as I am planing on getting a Multi 1260 S soon, I am hoping Ducati (well, their app developer) gets their stuff together, and does it right this time ... like, so it works properly.:surprise:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’ve tried emailing ducati a few times now about the app. Got no response. I still have the old app on my iPhone. I even went through the app in the feedback section. Still nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with the last one and don't expect them to fix the stuff that really needs fixing (which would mean a substantial rewrite)... so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'll make the offer to Ducati again... send me the interface spec. and I'll help you find a vendor who can build you a proper cross platform cloud integrated app... for a nominal fee. :)

Things about the last app that killed it:

- inability to automatically reconnect to the bike.
- inability to configure an "always run/record/save when you're connected to the bike" mode.
- inability to (optionally) automatically upload runs to a cloud account when ride completed and net access available (should be able to collect data without touching your phone and just review your runs online).
- lack of a well designed web app that easily allows users to sort rides, rate rides, view rides, and share rides and comments with other users either on the site itself or through social media (including linking rides to sites like this, and linking rides to other media like images and video)

They basically did a good percentage of the work needed to build an app that would have been a given them a real marketing bullet... but designed it like it was 2008 not 2015.

Reactions: Shubz

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
beta

I just got an email from Ducati asking if I'd be interested in beta testing the new Link App. I responded that yes I would (Android version). I will keep you updated if they decide to let me beta test.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh this is cool! Hope they come up with something a lot better than last time and much easier on the riders as well. A lot of my ride buddies are waiting for the app.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts