Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I currently bought the iphone 5 as a true geek that i am and i would like to power it somehow to the multistrada 1200 (2012) in order for it to charge when i am touring,

Anybody knows what kind of cable do i need?

I am thinking of something that will connect to the multistrada and have a USB output so i can charge anything i might require in the future,

My question is:

How many ampers do i need? how many wats, if anyone has a link of a shop or something i can directly purchase it i would be very grateful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
They sell many different 12 volt outlets, just yet one and wire up to the GPS power lead tucked away under the left side fairing and the outlet hide in there nicely. This is what I have done then plug a black mini USB car charger into it, it will all fit easily in the left fairing, then get the lightning to mini USB adapter to plug your phone into it. This setup will give you nice black wires that hide well and are unnoticeable on the bike when ran up with the bundle of wires leading to your handlebars. I didn't want a white wire sticking out like a sore thumb so I went this route with mine and it works perfectly. Ill try to get some photos up soon to show what I did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would go for a cigarette / cigar type socket connected directly to the battery (fused) installed under the rear seat.

Then use an in car type USB plug suitable for the iPhone (All usb chargers are not created equal). From there you can run a suitable Iphone charger cable to any position you need on the bike

MIke .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12 voltes? i hear that those devices usually require 5 (just asking)

Also does anyone happen to have a link from ebay or amazon or w/e so i can check the specifications and everything?

I am not looking for advertisement :p just want to check specs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
The optimate usb charger is an elegant and easy solution. It connects to the same dongle used by the tender and allows charging of whatever device you want while riding. Does not require any installation. Mine is tucked into my tank bag so I can re-charge my Scala, or continuously charge my iPhone which comes in very handy on all day rides.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Piece of cake. Just get one of these little USB adaptors from Powerlet...

... and plug your Iphone charger cable into it. Then plug it into the accessory outlet on the dash of your bike. Oh, the Multistrada does have one of these doesn't it? :rolleyes:

:D

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
^ the MTS12 has accessory power outlets but not on the dash.....that KTM hook-up is spiffy!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
FYI also I contacted Powerlet. THey say they'll have the direct powerlet to iphone 5 sometime in Jan or Feb.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
+1 on duckman. I took one of those 12 volt cig plug adapters, broke open the case and soldered in an SAE connection. Covered the whole thing in shrink wrap. Cost 2 bux.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
496 Posts
why not just use one of the two mini-socket plugs on the bike under the seat?
They sell cords that will charge an I phone.. I have one. Works great. I have the phone either in my pocket of my tail bag. It will bluetooth from either location... easy

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
all true the above, but if you have a USB charging capability then you can charge, phone, camera, pov camera, mp3 device, bluetooth headset etc. etc. all your geeky tech stuff.
Currently I do use the female cig lighter to the tender leads and then a male insert with 2 USB ports, in the tank bag -keeps everything charged nicely

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used a very cool mount from Gadget Guy. All billet aluminum and looks factory. I've talked to the owner several times. Manufactures evertying himself. Takes pride in his craft. GadgetGuy.net - Motorcycle mount for for GPS, radar detectors, XM radios, cell phones and other gadgets.

I also use a 3BR PowerSports USB adapter with the Apple iPhone 5 cable.

The last thing you need is the RAM iPhone 5 mount. RAM iPhone 5 Mount

I'll take some pictures when I get back to the house. But it looks factory, simple to use and very stable!

Tom

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here's how I charge mine when I'm touring, while I sleep overnight. The phone has more than enough battery to last all day, why bother charging it while riding?
+1

no need to charge an iphone 5 while riding, i use my phone all day and bluetooth pandora for the whole ride and by the end of the day I still have over 35% battery left.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts