Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have my 1098 tank done, around 2012, by a local Ducati dealer in Nashville. This was a class action replacement and I had the dealer do the Caswell coating on the new tank.

About 6 months ago I had to replaced the fuel pump, so I got a good look at the inside of the tank through the large fuel pump hole. I was impressed how well it was coated and was still holding up. There was NO flaking or spots, that I could see, where the coating wa failing.

I had similar issues with my Aprilia Tuono tank in 2014. I managed to get a new tank under warranty, but the dealer would not apply the Caswell coating. At this time I was living in Dallas, TX and had a pretty good relationship with the local Ducati dealer, One of the problems with doing the coating yourself, is that you need to etch the inside of the tank to give the caswell coating a good surface to bond to. They suggest putting a couple of boxes of sheet rock screws in the tank and shaping it to scratch up the inside of the tank. I did this for about 3 minutes and thought I was going to die from exertion. In passing, I mentioned this to the Ducati guys and they said they had made a jig for doing this on Ducati tanks, as they'd had so many to replace. So I gave them my Tuono tank and they did it for me.

That tank appears to be holing up well.

Reactions: johnchypermotard

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes it was AMS, best Ducati dealership ever! Bought two Ducati's from them in 2015.

Reactions: jheurte
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.