Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the fuel tank issue has been discussed at length, but I have a question about coatings. The back story. I have a 2011 Multi that had the fuel tank expand to the extent it cracked the top tank cover!! Best was that my extended warranty had expired 30 days before the discovery. I contacted two Ducati dealers and none would even submit a claim to Ducati. Thanks guys. I finally managed to get an email address for DNA and sent a request for assistance. Got an email back asking what the problem was?? Eventually got a phone # called and was just blown off. No help what so ever. The class suit has also expired. Some luck. So the question is to those who have Caswell coated their tanks. How has it held up? Are their any other coatings better than Caswell. I have read that some have had the Caswell coating peal/flake off the tank. You can guess what kind of problems that causes. Anyone know something that will coat a PA6 Nylon tank successfully? To all this would not be much of an issue if the tank cost say, $300, not over $1400.00!!

Cheers?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
if I am understanding your question correctly, you are asking for suggestions on tank coatings that will prevent the ethanol expansion issues on your replacement fuel tank.

I had the tank on my 2010 Multi coated by a group down in LA (North Hollywood, specifically), 7 years ago, and it has not given any issues to date. Price was / is $299.00

the company is Gas Tank Lining (really creative name, eh? ;-) )

Fix Motorcycle Gas Tank, Rust Removal, Lining, Sealing, Fuel tank

Address: 6909 Farmdale Ave, North Hollywood, CA 91605
Phone: (818) 759-4724

very fast turn around, great communications from them on when they received the tank, when it was being shipped back.

and, if you are in need of a fuel tank for your Multi to have lined/coated, shoot me a PM here ... I have a spare one, as I did not know if the lining / coating would actually hold up ... and it has, so I don't need this spare one any more. BTW, I'm located in Cupertino, so not too far away from you.

I know the fuel tank issue has been discussed at length, but I have a question about coatings. The back story. I have a 2011 Multi that had the fuel tank expand to the extent it cracked the top tank cover!! Best was that my extended warranty had expired 30 days before the discovery. I contacted two Ducati dealers and none would even submit a claim to Ducati. Thanks guys. I finally managed to get an email address for DNA and sent a request for assistance. Got an email back asking what the problem was?? Eventually got a phone # called and was just blown off. No help what so ever. The class suit has also expired. Some luck. So the question is to those who have Caswell coated their tanks. How has it held up? Are their any other coatings better than Caswell. I have read that some have had the Caswell coating peal/flake off the tank. You can guess what kind of problems that causes. Anyone know something that will coat a PA6 Nylon tank successfully? To all this would not be much of an issue if the tank cost say, $300, not over $1400.00!!

Cheers?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have my 1098 tank done, around 2012, by a local Ducati dealer in Nashville. This was a class action replacement and I had the dealer do the Caswell coating on the new tank.

About 6 months ago I had to replaced the fuel pump, so I got a good look at the inside of the tank through the large fuel pump hole. I was impressed how well it was coated and was still holding up. There was NO flaking or spots, that I could see, where the coating wa failing.

I had similar issues with my Aprilia Tuono tank in 2014. I managed to get a new tank under warranty, but the dealer would not apply the Caswell coating. At this time I was living in Dallas, TX and had a pretty good relationship with the local Ducati dealer, One of the problems with doing the coating yourself, is that you need to etch the inside of the tank to give the caswell coating a good surface to bond to. They suggest putting a couple of boxes of sheet rock screws in the tank and shaping it to scratch up the inside of the tank. I did this for about 3 minutes and thought I was going to die from exertion. In passing, I mentioned this to the Ducati guys and they said they had made a jig for doing this on Ducati tanks, as they'd had so many to replace. So I gave them my Tuono tank and they did it for me.

That tank appears to be holing up well.

Reactions: johnchypermotard

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
was that Dallas Ducati dealership AMS (Advanced Motor Sports)?

if yes, Jeff and Toni Nash are great folks.

I have my 1098 tank done, around 2012, by a local Ducati dealer in Nashville. This was a class action replacement and I had the dealer do the Caswell coating on the new tank.

About 6 months ago I had to replaced the fuel pump, so I got a good look at the inside of the tank through the large fuel pump hole. I was impressed how well it was coated and was still holding up. There was NO flaking or spots, that I could see, where the coating wa failing.

I had similar issues with my Aprilia Tuono tank in 2014. I managed to get a new tank under warranty, but the dealer would not apply the Caswell coating. At this time I was living in Dallas, TX and had a pretty good relationship with the local Ducati dealer, One of the problems with doing the coating yourself, is that you need to etch the inside of the tank to give the caswell coating a good surface to bond to. They suggest putting a couple of boxes of sheet rock screws in the tank and shaping it to scratch up the inside of the tank. I did this for about 3 minutes and thought I was going to die from exertion. In passing, I mentioned this to the Ducati guys and they said they had made a jig for doing this on Ducati tanks, as they'd had so many to replace. So I gave them my Tuono tank and they did it for me.

That tank appears to be holing up well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes it was AMS, best Ducati dealership ever! Bought two Ducati's from them in 2015.

Reactions: jheurte
1 - 6 of 6 Posts