Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, like beating a dead horse, i just want to ask anyone that has already replaced a sending unit on his/her bike (2016 type unit) and still have the old one if you're willing to part with it so i can disect it and hopefully come up with a solution. More than happy to pay for the shipping of course. Some of you may remember me coming up with the brake heat shield years ago, the modded brake lever on the 2012, heat shields on the 999 and so on, i tinker alot so what have we got to lose?
Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
As soon as mine comes in (apparently on the slow boat from Italy) I will pull it and be more than happy to send it to you. Got you followed, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated, who knows if it's really true when they say where's a will there's a way!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think if Ducati made the decision to move away from the material they are using now to a one isn't deteriorated by the alcohol in our fuel there wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears the culprit is the material the float is made of, again, never took one apart yet but if it's possible to replace it with one of different material or being able to coat it with a type of resin that won't break down with the fuel it certainly would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It appears the culprit is the material the float is made of, again, never took one apart yet but if it's possible to replace it with one of different material or being able to coat it with a type of resin that won't break down with the fuel it certainly would be a good starting point.
I know I came across a thread where someone had disassembled and diagnosed the sender and determined that the soldering had failed. Haven't yet found that thread, though...

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read the float apparently gets saturated and sinks, who knows, when i get one i'll put some time into it, hopefully will pay off

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
178 Posts
My post in the fuel sensor sticky thread :
#525 · Feb 23, 2020

I have taken apart 3 D sensors. The issue with all was the wiring connector to the board. This is encapsulated in the epoxy plug. It is a poor design with one sided connector and no solder just a push on. I repaired this by adding two small wires soldered on the board and brought out and soldered to the out put wires. Paralleling the faulty connection. I found nothing wrong with the boards or switches or floats. YMMV
Cheers

The modified sensor is still working great! On my 13 MTS. On the 3 I dissected there was no evidence of fuel damage . The fuel only contacts the float. They all had the same issue. The circuit is supplied 5vdc, the cpu reads the voltage drop across the sensor to determine the level. The resistance of the sensor is proportional to the tank level. At such small signal voltage changes any added resistance in the sensor will error the cpu because it is out of it's expected result.
Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
My post in the fuel sensor sticky thread :
#525 · Feb 23, 2020

I have taken apart 3 D sensors. The issue with all was the wiring connector to the board. This is encapsulated in the epoxy plug. It is a poor design with one sided connector and no solder just a push on. I repaired this by adding two small wires soldered on the board and brought out and soldered to the out put wires. Paralleling the faulty connection. I found nothing wrong with the boards or switches or floats. YMMV
Cheers

The modified sensor is still working great! On my 13 MTS. On the 3 I dissected there was no evidence of fuel damage . The fuel only contacts the float. They all had the same issue. The circuit is supplied 5vdc, the cpu reads the voltage drop across the sensor to determine the level. The resistance of the sensor is proportional to the tank level. At such small signal voltage changes any added resistance in the sensor will error the cpu because it is out of it's expected result.
Cheers
So all this talk about alcohol in the fuel causing the problems just BS?

·
Registered
178 Posts
So all this talk about alcohol in the fuel causing the problems just BS?
I can only speak about the three D sensors I dissected: There was no sign of leakage of fuel into the sealed electronic board compartment of the sensors. There was no deterioration of the floats. IF the sensor float became saturated with fuel and sank, the float would go to the bottom of the sensor and would only show an empty tank. All I found was a "sketchy" connection where the two external wires are plugged onto the sensor board which added resistance to the circuit and caused the cpu to show a fuel fault. The cpu looks for a range of voltage feed back from the sensor from full to empty, if the cpu sees a return voltage out of a preset range it will show a fuel fault.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I came across statements that said the float absorbs the fuel and sinks, after letting it dry it would work again, maybe there's more than 1 issue with this contraption?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok, here is my 2c on this fuel contraption. Ducati will never admit that the sensor is made of fuel incompatible materials, too costly of a program to admit fault, and they have to replace hundreds if not thousands at their expense. Secondly, I have been tracking this issue for over a couple of years and there is only one fix, admit that the sensor is a POS and move on and get one of those eBay bypass connectors and live with it. The list of identified culprits starts from wrong electronic epoxy encapsulated components, PCB lamination, solder joints, type of fuels in the US, to the connector itself.
I rest my case and live with it, beating of this dead horse is fruitless because it is now a skeleton 💀

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, here is my 2c on this fuel contraption. Ducati will never admit that the sensor is made of fuel incompatible materials, too costly of a program to admit fault, and they have to replace hundreds if not thousands at their expense. Secondly, I have been tracking this issue for over a couple of years and there is only one fix, admit that the sensor is a POS and move on and get one of those eBay bypass connectors and live with it. The list of identified culprits starts from wrong electronic epoxy encapsulated components, PCB lamination, solder joints, type of fuels in the US, to the connector itself.
I rest my case and live with it, beating of this dead horse is fruitless because it is now a skeleton 💀
I sure have no problem with living with that but i sure like to find out what is the issue even though i choose to live with it, just a matter of curiosity, no more than that

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can only speak about the three D sensors I dissected: There was no sign of leakage of fuel into the sealed electronic board compartment of the sensors. There was no deterioration of the floats. IF the sensor float became saturated with fuel and sank, the float would go to the bottom of the sensor and would only show an empty tank. All I found was a "sketchy" connection where the two external wires are plugged onto the sensor board which added resistance to the circuit and caused the cpu to show a fuel fault. The cpu looks for a range of voltage feed back from the sensor from full to empty, if the cpu sees a return voltage out of a preset range it will show a fuel fault.
Cheers
This is the sensible analysis . The ethanol conspiracy makes no sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts